I Deliberately Lurmboated Just To See How Much One Day Of It Could Ruin Your Ratings.

104 replies to this topic

#61 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 18 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

there's a broad gap between weapons at this point, and the clear loser is using a missile hardpoint. It's a stinker as far as balance is concerned, and the latest iteration just seems to be a "we feel that missiles weren't inefficient enough, so we'll just make them even more so."

Maybe you're looking at this problem back to front... Maybe PGI are actually balancing around player skill requirement rather than weapon effectiveness.

#62 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 December 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Maybe you're looking at this problem back to front... Maybe PGI are actually balancing around player skill requirement rather than weapon effectiveness.

If they were lasers would be useless.

#63 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 December 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

...and 'taters are always gonna 'tate.

If not for these so-called "'taters", there would be even less people playing this game. Posted Image

I guess the elitists think they can support this game by themselves, right? Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 18 December 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#64 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

Heck, us Super Spud Potatoes are just are an endangered species... Don't see many of the crew that started together anymore at any time: even for events. I suspect they be gone....

#65 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostMystere, on 18 December 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

If not for these so-called "'taters", there would be even less people playing this game. Posted Image

I guess the elitists think they can support this game by themselves, right? Posted Image

What is more cruel... Helping 'taters move on from 'tatohood to 1337ness by confronting them with The Truth? Or standing idly by, condemning them to perpetual 'taterhood...?

This is why a small - some might say, "heroic" - cadre of ragtag elites has taken upon themselves the thankless mission of stemming the flow of bad advice and promoting 1337 understanding and practices, here in the impoverished corners of the MWO General Forums where the light of knowledge so seldom penetrates the spreading darkness.

For we were once 'taters ourselves. We remember what it was like. And we remember how, in a time long gone, kindly 1337s took it upon themselves to raise us up from the nightsoil where we had once wallowed in ignorance, enabling us to blossom as we reached up towards the light.

And so it is that we now pay forward the gift of knowledge so graciously and selflessly bestowed upon us.

Edited by Appogee, 18 December 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#66 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

Maybe you're looking at this problem back to front... Maybe PGI are actually balancing around [color="#b27204"]player skill requirement[/color] rather than weapon effectiveness.

*points at medium laser nerf*

No, it has nothing to do with skill requirements.

#67 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

View PostAppogee, on 17 December 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

But have you tried playing ATMs with your foot?

LEGIT!

#68 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Here we go again on the LRM hate train. Next stop: The End of Time...

Edited by Jman5, 18 December 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#69 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostJman5, on 18 December 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

Here we go again on the LRM hate train. Next stop: The End of Time...

There's actually a couple of folks not on the train and trying to bring productive discussion and promote team work.

Reality is people like to play lurms. As I have pointed out there are tons of folks in tier one doing well with them and are not dragging every team they're on down.

You know who many I see ranting on here one day and are in CW with me the next giggling on Polar lrming the living crap out of that poor guy I just narced?

These forums do not accurately represent the communities view on lurms.

They just highlight the two extemes to either side.

Lrm's don't really do it for me, so for me personally the way I dealt with my childish anger at lurmers was to go narc for them in a Raven.

I not that good (omfg talk about projectile speed needing a buff) but this challenge for myself was a much better way to be a good team player and not be toxic to the guy who just so happens to like lurms. Which lets be honest, is a lot of people in all levels of this game. Don't have time or energy for hate, which is why when I get angry or frustrated I look at what I can and cannot change. Even if that is only my attitude that I can change I choose this route. It's just easier.

Edited by tker 669, 18 December 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#70 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

View Posttker 669, on 18 December 2017 - 01:01 PM, said:

...there are tons of folks in tier one doing well with them and are not dragging every team they're on down.

Look - up in the sky!

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

No, it's...

Posted Image

!

Maybe I need to start adding smiley faces to the ends of my posts...?

Edited by Appogee, 18 December 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#71 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:37 PM

<s>I'm a recovering LRMboater. It's so easy to get sucked into LRMLife when you're in Tier5. It makes you feel strong, and powerful, and impervious (they can't hit me, heehee). I have to remind myself every day that it's a disease and I have to be strong so as to not fall back into that life.....</s>

LRMs are fine, probably a little weak right now for regular Tier1 use, but hey, PGI balance, right? Most people won't complain much about having some LRMs on their Team on Polar, or even Alpine and maybe Frozen City. But on a lot of other maps it is so much harder to get a consistent contribution. I've actually started working on doing the little things to help my LRM teammates be better contributors. Like calling targets in the open with a hard lock. I might even tank some extra damage to help maintain that lock. Yeah, it doesn't help my match score (it should, someone suggested spotting points like in WoT) and can impact my survival, but it does help my win rate. And it seems to be helping my KDR as well.

I had a match on Dom match on Polar yesterday in my Grinner. I had 2 LRM and 1 ATM boat on the team. I could have easily backstabbed some mechs and squirreled, but instead I got into a flanking position, peeked my head up at 600-700m and spotted targets for the first 5 minutes of combat. Ended up with 300 dmg and 2 kill secures by the end (and a sub-300 match score). Could have done better with more aggression, but by spotting we ended up with an easy 12-5 win. Yeah, those filthy LRMers did 800-1000 dmg and got 400-500 match scores while standing behind a hill, but _we won_. And that's kinda the point, right?

#72 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:56 PM

View PostSFC174, on 18 December 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

I've actually started working on doing the little things to help my LRM teammates be better contributors. ..). Could have done better with more aggression, but by spotting we ended up with an easy 12-5 win. Yeah, those filthy LRMers did 800-1000 dmg and got 400-500 match scores while standing behind a hill, but _we won_. And that's kinda the point, right?

I understand why, like any caring parent, you feel the need to prop up your fellow LRM-boating comrade.

Enabling them seems like a compassionate response to a Mechwarrior who is clearly down on his luck, and in need of a helping hand.

But we have to think beyond that one match... What happens in the next match, and the one after, when there's no good Samaritan there spotting for them...? Or worse, they drop with a bunch of other LRMers, all expecting each other to give locks that never materialise?!

Suddenly: they can't shoot! Their LRMs are losing track mid-flight! Hundreds of tons of missiles are bouncing harmlessly off the scenery! Now there's an MG-boating CritLynx within their minimum weapon range. They can't torso twist because Assault LRM boat, low leg armor for maximum ammo, and OMG IT'S TAKING BOTH MY LEGS OFF AND I CAN'T SHOOT BACK!

And then their team has lost, and they're getting blamed. Next thing you know there's yet another thread in the General Forum saying LRMs need to be buffed.

Is that compassion...? Are you doing them a favour...? Or are you just setting them up for match after match of failure, finger-pointing and frustration.

I think as responsible players we need to take the long view here. If we can show LRMers the more effective, direct fire, getting-your-own-locks kinds of ways to be contributing members of their teams, then ultimately, we're helping them to be self-sufficient and effective on the battlefield, independent of the charity of strangers.

Please, look within yourself, and be compassionate.

Edited by Appogee, 18 December 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#73 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostAppogee, on 18 December 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Look - up in the sky!

Is it a bird?

Is it a plane?

No, it's...

Posted Image

!

Maybe I need to start adding smiley faces to the ends of my posts...?

Nah, you're good.

View PostSFC174, on 18 December 2017 - 01:37 PM, said:

<s>I'm a recovering LRMboater. It's so easy to get sucked into LRMLife when you're in Tier5. It makes you feel strong, and powerful, and impervious (they can't hit me, heehee). I have to remind myself every day that it's a disease and I have to be strong so as to not fall back into that life.....</s>

LRMs are fine, probably a little weak right now for regular Tier1 use, but hey, PGI balance, right? Most people won't complain much about having some LRMs on their Team on Polar, or even Alpine and maybe Frozen City. But on a lot of other maps it is so much harder to get a consistent contribution. I've actually started working on doing the little things to help my LRM teammates be better contributors. Like calling targets in the open with a hard lock. I might even tank some extra damage to help maintain that lock. Yeah, it doesn't help my match score (it should, someone suggested spotting points like in WoT) and can impact my survival, but it does help my win rate. And it seems to be helping my KDR as well.

I had a match on Dom match on Polar yesterday in my Grinner. I had 2 LRM and 1 ATM boat on the team. I could have easily backstabbed some mechs and squirreled, but instead I got into a flanking position, peeked my head up at 600-700m and spotted targets for the first 5 minutes of combat. Ended up with 300 dmg and 2 kill secures by the end (and a sub-300 match score). Could have done better with more aggression, but by spotting we ended up with an easy 12-5 win. Yeah, those filthy LRMers did 800-1000 dmg and got 400-500 match scores while standing behind a hill, but _we won_. And that's kinda the point, right?

This is an attitude that I fully embrace and hope more and more will give up the hate and work with folks who are not going to change for some random dude on the interwebs.

#74 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

View Posttker 669, on 18 December 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

This is an attitude that I fully embrace and hope more and more will give up the hate and work with folks who are not going to change for some random dude on the interwebs.

I agree.

In fact, just a moment ago, some random dude on the interwebs was telling me how I should enable LRM boaters.

But I will take your advice and not change.

#75 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

People can rant they can rage, they can 'prove' things.

People won't stop using LRM's so why make yet another thread about them ?

Taking a NovaCat-B into Q.P with a stock load out is a giggle just to see the missile streams.

It's also a good mech to use when your ill because it takes minimal amounts of concentration..

#76 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

View PostCathy, on 18 December 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Taking a NovaCat-B into Q.P with a stock load out is a giggle just to see the missile streams.

Ha - that reminds me. I took a triple-AMS Nova into a QP match a week ago. I lucked out and got Polar Lurmlands on the Oceanic Server straight up. I went through 6 tons of AMS ammo before the match was over. Finished with an incredible match score.

Good times.

#77 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostAppogee, on 18 December 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

I understand why, like any caring parent, you feel the need to prop up your fellow LRM-boating comrade.

I think as responsible players we need to take the long view here. If we can show LRMers the more effective, direct fire, getting-your-own-locks kinds of ways to be contributing members of their teams, then ultimately, we're helping them to be self-sufficient and effective on the battlefield, independent of the charity of strangers.

Please, look within yourself, and be compassionate.

Very nice Posted Image

I'm just all about the winning. And since the distribution of LRM boats should be relatively equal over time, if I help mine out and the other side doesn't, I'll win more. I guess I'm just a selfish *******.

Recovering LRMboater, selfish *******, next post I'll reveal that I kick puppies and steal subway seats from old women.....

#78 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

Heh! Well, it's been fun.

(For anyone playing along, the only serious post I made in this thread was actually the second one.)

Now I am finishing my beer and heading to bed.

#79 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

View PostAppogee, on 18 December 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

What is more cruel... Helping 'taters move on from 'tatohood to 1337ness by confronting them with The Truth? Or standing idly by, condemning them to perpetual 'taterhood...?

This is why a small - some might say, "heroic" - cadre of ragtag elites has taken upon themselves the thankless mission of stemming the flow of bad advice and promoting 1337 understanding and practices, here in the impoverished corners of the MWO General Forums where the light of knowledge so seldom penetrates the spreading darkness.

For we were once 'taters ourselves. We remember what it was like. And we remember how, in a time long gone, kindly 1337s took it upon themselves to raise us up from the nightsoil where we had once wallowed in ignorance, enabling us to blossom as we reached up towards the light.

And so it is that we now pay forward the gift of knowledge so graciously and selflessly bestowed upon us.

What is more cruel is 1337s thinking 'taters will react positively by constantly insulting them. "Kind" is not the word I'd use for these 1337s, not even close. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 18 December 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#80 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 03:53 PM

Deatrh, Taxes and Lerm threads
Posted Image

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users