I think MWO would benefit by being on Steam.

31 replies to this topic

#1 ThatPrimeGuy

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Given the success of games like Blacklight: Retribution and TRIBES:Ascend on Steam's F2P section am I the only one who thinks it would be a good idea if MWO was offered on the service? Hell I didn't even know Blacklight existed before it showed up on Steam and now its one of my most played games this year.

Blacklight's steam integration seems to be loose enough that Perfect World and Zombie Studios can do what they want, all Steam really added to it was Achievements and the ability to buy ZEN (their hard currency system) with my steam wallet, not to mention the ease of having it in my steam library, Granted their servers got absolutely hammered for the first few days, but it seems like there's plenty to be gained and little to lose by MWO if it were to be offered on Steam.

Also, someone has already taken the liberty of making a MWO Grid icon for Steam's recently added custom image ability. I stuck it on my MW:Living Legends shortcut, I can dream, right?

Posted Image

Edited by ThatPrimeGuy, 23 July 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Devs already commented that they are thinking it over.

Problem is, there are also downsides to it, one of them being a huge initial price you must pay.

#3 ThatPrimeGuy

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostAdridos, on 23 July 2012 - 09:49 PM, said:

Devs already commented that they are thinking it over.

Problem is, there are also downsides to it, one of them being a huge initial price you must pay.

I'm glad to here there is at least some thought, was not aware of the price involved, in Blacklight's case I believe it had been out for a few weeks before they decided to go with steam, maybe a similar thing will happen with MWO, Either way I look forward to it. I'm just a bit of a Steam fanboy, after about 6 or so years of using the service its become my go-to for PC gaming purchases.

Let's all just hope MWO becomes a success and makes that steam admission price look like spare change, yes? :P

#4 Irish79

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Is steam permitted outside of the US yet? last I looked they still couldn't do non commercial outside the US for publishing reason's..

#5 Syclonus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 331 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Ridge, TN

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

I loath steam, but if it would help the game suceed go for it, just make a non-steam launcher as well.

#6 Aoshi

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I wouldn't mind it on Steam. They would probably have to charge for the game however.

#7 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostAoshi, on 23 July 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

I wouldn't mind it on Steam. They would probably have to charge for the game however.

There are FTP games on steam. None require you to purchase the game.

Edited by Noth, 23 July 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#8 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ht-please-read/

http://mwomercs.com/...it-play-if-any/

http://mwomercs.com/...-on-steam-poll/

http://mwomercs.com/...lable-on-steam/

Everything you ever wanted to know about Steam and MWO and it was just a search function away.
We have discussed Steam as a distribution platform, full steam integration, costs of steam, growth and/or reduction of player base because of steam and probably a dozen other things playing a role to the equation.
It will take some time to read through all that, but it should give you all pros and cons of steam on a silver platter.

#9 ElcomeSoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

View PostIrish79, on 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Is steam permitted outside of the US yet? last I looked they still couldn't do non commercial outside the US for publishing reason's..

Been using Steam since 2004 here in England... buying games, playing them and some such.

#10 Perfecto Oviedo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 207 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

I know some Nexon games like Dungeon Fighter are both on and off steam. So if they went that route, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

#11 Bansheedragon75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

I avoid Steam if I can, I dont like the idea of a 3rd party application running in the background, hogging resources, while I play my games.

It will require resources that could be better spent improving my gameplay experience.
I have no idea if Steam will gather information from my computer against my will and I dont like that.

I honestly never understood the idea of having a 3rd party application to run your games from.
And dont bother trying to explain it to me, others have tried and I still dont see what good it does.

Edited by Dragonlord, 24 July 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#12 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:13 AM

View PostDragonlord, on 24 July 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

I avoid Steam if I can, I dont like the idea of a 3rd party application running in the background while I play my games.

It will require resources that could be better spent improving my gameplay experience.
I have no idea if Steam will gather information from my computer against my will and I dont like that.

I honestly never understood the idea of having a 3rd party application to run your games from.
And dont bother trying to explain it to me, others have tried and I still dont see what good it does.

Your OS is gathering info from your computer. Chances are you browser is as well. If you do not want things gathering info from your computer, it is best to just diconnect from the internet because nearly everything does. Steam uses so little resource that to even feel the effect you'd have to be playing on a system that couldn't run this game in the first place.

Also no one says for it to be steam only or require steam, just that steam would be there as an option.

#13 Rhyshaelkan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

Fine if it is optional, but not required. TS is how I connect with my buddies, that is enough.

#14 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

you should go die in a fire for even suggesting steam i would rather this game die off than ever let valve make money off of its glorious name

Edited by Lightdragon, 24 July 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#15 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

View PostDragonlord, on 24 July 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

I avoid Steam if I can, I dont like the idea of a 3rd party application running in the background, hogging resources, while I play my games.

At this very moment Steam is using a grand total of 64 megs of RAM and approximately 0% of my CPU power. Assuming you meet the minimum system requirements, 64 megs is 1.5% of your total memory. If you meet the recommended specs it's 0.7% of your memory. For comparison, my browser is currently using 248 megs and between 0 and 1% of my CPU power. Skype, Teamspeak, and the various other apps used for voice communication in games have similar memory footprints. If having Steam in the background has any measurable effect on your performance either there is something desperately wrong or you need an upgrade very, very badly, which wouldn't be Steam's fault. Modern applications are designed to make use of the relatively cheap and plentiful memory available in machines built in the last few years, as well as doing some very intelligent caching. The days of killing non essential processes to increase performance are long gone.

Privacy is a very much a legitimate concern. Happily, it's entirely possible to keep track of what Steam sinks its hooks into, as well as what data it sends back home. In fact people have done so with all of the major online store client type applications, as evidenced by all the bad publicity EA has gotten for Origin (though there are lots of other reasons Origin gets bad press, too). It turns out all the information that Steam tracks is publicly available, mostly on player profiles (hours spent gaming, games owned, achievements achieved, etc) and the aggregated results of their (voluntary) hardware survey. If you're at all a normal internet user you've probably exposed far more than you fear Valve would collect via Steam. For that matter, if you don't trust Valve, why would you trust your OS vendor of choice?

If you just don't like Steam that's fine. If you don't care enough to do any research on how it works, or for that matter how modern operating systems manage memory, that's fine too. You're not obligated to care. However, if this is a matter of the drawbacks you stated outweighing benefits you might want to give it some more thought.

you should go die in a fire for even suggesting steam i would rather this game die off than ever let valve make money off of its glorious name

Thanks for contributing.

As for my own opinion, I think it would be a very wise business move to distribute through steam. The userbase is so large that I suspect expenditures would be made back very quickly, especially considering Steam's ability to alert people to games they otherwise wouldn't know exist. It doesn't really make a huge difference to me as an end user whether it's available through steam or not, or if it is whether the game has a built in updater or updates through steam, as long as it doesn't somehow block me from launching the game through steam like I do with literally every major game I play, so I can talk with people and search the web for guides and stuff without minimizing.

Edited by Blue Footed Booby, 24 July 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#16 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Dumb question, but what's Steam?

*ack. ... please don't throw anything. I only know Mechwarrior!

#17 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

View PostDaisu Saikoro, on 24 July 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

Dumb question, but what's Steam?

*ack. ... please don't throw anything. I only know Mechwarrior!

It is a an online gaming service that provides distribution of games in download format and a nice compact library system to manage you games. The games are tied to your account so you can always access them as long as you have internet. You can gift games to people through it. It also provides in game chat systems and can even provide VOIP. It is also home to gaming communities, some that are for games that don't even have steam versions. It is also known for it's massive sales. Such as over the weekend they had their summer sales where 100's of games were 75% off or more.

It benefits developers by getting their game exposure to over 5 million online users users (the user base is larger than 5 million though). It is what has fueled the recent boom in indie games.

People seem to love it or hate it. People hate it because it can gather data from your system (you can opt out of this) and that it takes up some resources, usually less than a percent of your cpu and maybe a couple percent of your RAM.

Edited by Noth, 24 July 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#18 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostNoth, on 24 July 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

It is a an online gaming service that provides distribution of games in download format and a nice compact library system to manage you games. The games are tied to your account so you can always access them as long as you have internet. You can gift games to people through it. It also provides in game chat systems and can even provide VOIP. It is also home to gaming communities, some that are for games that don't even have steam versions. It is also known for it's massive sales. Such as over the weekend they had their summer sales where 100's of games were 75% off or more.

It benefits developers by getting their game exposure to over 5 million online users users (the user base is larger than 5 million though). It is what has fueled the recent boom in indie games.

People seem to love it or hate it. People hate it because it can gather data from your system (you can opt out of this) and that it takes up some resources, usually less than a percent of your cpu and maybe a couple percent of your RAM.

Thank you for that. That seems like what Stardock Central was and Impulse is. Interesting.

#19 Lightdragon

• 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

they may attract more payers but the audience it attracts is a detriment to the general enjoyment of the game, id rather have players that stumble upon the game through word of mouth from a friend that would be interested in learning all they can about the game than counterstrike players that have no concept of teamwork and have no interest in learning about the lore of the universe

#20 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Wouldn't this split the player base into a steam and nonsteam group?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users