I think MWO would benefit by being on Steam.

31 replies to this topic

#21 Noth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostCapt Cole 117, on 25 July 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Wouldn't this split the player base into a steam and nonsteam group?

Nope it wouldn't as they'd still connect to the same servers. All steam would be is another form of marketing and an additional place to get the installer. Patching would still be done through the launcher which would still be the same as the non steam version. Further as far as forums go, the official forums for ftp games are always more use than teh steam forums for the game. The steam forum are typically used for games that don't have dedicated forums or for steam specific problems.

#22 Ouster

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

I don't really see steam as beneficial enough from a functional standpoint. I love steam for buying single player game and non persistent multiplayer games. Steam distribution method is simple and easy to use for these kinds of games. But I don't find steam to be of use for any game that requires an extra account that not your steam account. Steam almost feels like an extra barrier to using those kinds of games. Even though you can probably direct boot those game outside of steam. I only buy those kind of game with steam because of their price. I don’t by those kinds of game on steam for steam.

I would also rather not see steam communication features being used as a crutch for the game. I never found them to be all that useful there just an overlay and using them still feels disconnected from the game. The only thing I really find useful with steam is creating groups in game with your other steam friends. To me all the communication features in steam can be done better in the game itself if you have the time and staffing. The voip support while useful if you have nothing else is sub standard for voice quality its just not that good last time I used it.

Edited by Ouster, 25 July 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#23 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostIrish79, on 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

Is steam permitted outside of the US yet? last I looked they still couldn't do non commercial outside the US for publishing reason's..

You have also steam on France. ;) (like his rival "Origin's"

#24 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

due to no control for duplicities, u wont be able to use steam acc to play MWO on regular server, so MWO on steam is just expensive advertisment

#25 Mad Adam

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

Steam would be a great move that would expand the MWO player base by a huge amount. There are quite a few free-to-play games on Steam, and all of them have a great percentage of players spending money in game. As for the fact that many players it would attract would know nothing of BT, there are thousands of BT & MW fans on Steam who don't yet know this game is coming out due to the fact it has been advertised just on nvidia's site & mwo.com. I stumbled upon it when u. dating my nvidia card. And also, Counterstrike & TF2 players HAVE to know teamwork - they are the two main teamwork based shooters on the planet.

#26 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

OP: Last word from Russ was that Steam would take a cut of MWOs revenue stream, threatening the very survival of MWO. Unless that changes, I don't see MWO making it to Steam tbh. If MWO was forced to go Steam exclusive on top of it, then you would see people jumping ship (those who have been burned using Steam). It's not all fun and games when it comes to Steam. Better know what's up ahead.

#27 empath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUTC - 3:30

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostElcomeSoft, on 24 July 2012 - 01:47 AM, said:

Been using Steam since 2004 here in England... buying games, playing them and some such.

I think he meant 'free to play' games with the "non commercial" comment, actually.

...but I'm playing a F2P MMORPG through Steam right now, in Canada. Hope that answers his concerns. B)

#28 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 02 August 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

OP: Last word from Russ was that Steam would take a cut of MWOs revenue stream, threatening the very survival of MWO. Unless that changes, I don't see MWO making it to Steam tbh. If MWO was forced to go Steam exclusive on top of it, then you would see people jumping ship (those who have been burned using Steam). It's not all fun and games when it comes to Steam. Better know what's up ahead.

Not saying they wouldn't take a cut, but its typically not enough to threaten the survival of a game. Also I know of no FTP game that is exclusively steam unless developed by valve.

#29 Deceptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationTrading my subscription for 40$ worth of overclocking accessories to meet minimum requirements (double heat sinks).

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

**** Steam. those guys can **** my valve.

#30 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

View PostNoth, on 02 August 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

Not saying they wouldn't take a cut, but its typically not enough to threaten the survival of a game. Also I know of no FTP game that is exclusively steam unless developed by valve.

From the info we have, PGI does not enjoy the backing of HUGE sponsors. Therefore it seems the few sponsors that took the risk need to be paid off first and in a timely fashion. Steam offers MWO a chance to grow incredibly fast, but comes at the risk of starving it out by taking a huge cut. If you ask me though, it is a matter of loyalty. You didn't see steam come out and support MWO development from day one, but they sure as hell will support MWO when it is time to count money. On the other hand, you have the original backers that went all in and were later backed up by legions of fans. Compare that to what Steam did for the game and there you have your answer. So while I understand that Steam can help PGI a lot, where was that help when it counted the most in the very beginning? Where was the backup in 2009 when the big publishers were scared sh!tless of MW5 becoming a huge success and slammed the door in PGI's face instead?

#31 AiD RrenDa

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew Manila, Terra

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

NO, NOT STEAM PLEASE, how 'bout us international people outside the US?, we wouldn't get that Steam sh*t

#32 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

No STEAM for the moment, until PGI is raking in the big cash.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users