"unsupported Video Card" Workaround

1 reply to this topic

#1 Ace Kirby

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDream Land

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Since nobody else seems to bother I took a quick look around and guess what, the GPU compatibility check and corresponding warning can be disabled by directly running MWOClient.exe using two command-line parameters, 'noprompt' and 'anygpu'.

Disclaimer: If your graphics card is unsupported for a reason the game can and will crash regardless, consider yourself warned.
YMMV I'm running an AMD RX 480 on Windows 10 1709 64bit.

You'll have to create a new shortcut to MWOClient.exe from the Bin32 or Bin64 directory in your MWO installation path, depending on the bitness of client you're running, 32-bit or 64-bit, probably the latter.
Then, in the shortcut properties, append both parameters to the 'Target' field:

E.g.: "C:\Games\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online\Bin64\MWOClient.exe" -noprompt -anygpu

'noprompt' disables the compatibility warning prompt, 'anygpu' allows any GPU to be used.

In Steam those parameters can be set via Launch Options though I didn't test that.

This definitely does NOT work with the MWO Portal software, as you can't set any options to pass to MWOClient.exe itself.

Furthermore this doesn't fix the underlying core issue, which can only be remedied by PGI themselves, for details I'll do a separate post in Patch Feedback.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5983255

And his post in Patch Feedback. Issue for RX 480 and RX 570 (side grade to RX 480 and both uses the same ID#) is in PGI data files listed the ID # as non-supported GPU.

And that is in PGI lap now. Sent private message Bobby and Krist as well as an email to support linking your thread. I do not believe anyone here was aware of where that particular info would be located, at least by those affected and those who had attempted to help. Learn something everyday.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users