For Engineering: "unsupported Video Card" With Recent Hardware - Cause And Fix

8 replies to this topic

#1 Ace Kirby

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDream Land

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

As the "uvc" warning message on running the MWO client seemingly affects a whole bunch of people with recent gfx cards, including myself, I grabbed my shovel and began to dig.

The culprit is or rather are CryEngine's graphics card compatibility lists used to trigger the warning on genuinely unsupported video hardware.
Since one of this year's patches (can't tell you exactly because those files have no timestamps, the housing Pak file was last updated in August) the list for AMD hardware for instance contains device entries for newer cards, in my case the RX 480, with the compatibility flag set to "-1" meaning unsupported, which in turn triggers the (false) warning.
The warning disappears if I change the flag to a value from 1 to 4 (presumably corresponding to video performance levels) or remove the line with the relevant device id (0x67DF for the RX 480) altogether.

The lists live in the Engine.pak in the Engine dir in the client installation, internal path is "Config\gpu\" containing amd.txt, intel.txt and nvidia.txt.

Sticking to my AMD example you'll find following entries in the amd.txt:

0x1002, 0x689E, 4 // Radeon HD 5800 Series
0x1002, 0x67DF,-1 // RX480
0x1002, 0x67EF,-1 // RX460

An older HD 5800 gets full 4 performance points while the much faster RX 4x0 series is marked as unsupported (RX 5x0 cards seem to use the same ids).

So my request is simple:
Check all three lists for questionable entries pertaining to recent graphics cards flagged as "-1" aka unsupported and...
- either configure those entries with sensible values
- or remove those lines entirely (my personal favourite)
and publish the changes in the next patch / hotfix of course.

For context: I've tested the above with an AMD RX 480 on Windows 10 1709 64bit.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Interesting... and here I thought it was a combination of PGI and a Windows update, even though PGI had been pointing the finger purely at Microsoft.

But then we have seen PGI incorrectly input the wrong numbers, some known, other unknown but bug support submitted.

Domo!

Edit Okay, in an older 2016 the GPU RX 480 / 490 you listed were not present in the file, though there were GPU containing 480

0x1002, 0x5D4C,-1 // R480 Consumer 4P
0x1002, 0x5D50,-1 // R480 GL 16P

I believe someone added the new lines for the RX 480 cards but defaulted them them to -1.

May want to IM Krist Smith https://mwomercs.com...84-krist-smith/ and BOBBY JUBRAJ https://mwomercs.com...6-bobby-jubraj/ and link this thread.

Hopefully they can put something in place to ensure that when new GPU are added they are not defaulted to -1 for the unsupported video card.

Edit
Radeon RX 570 is not listed in the amd.txt at all, but its ID is read the same as the RX 480 0x1002 0x67df , and the RX 480 is currently listed as unsupported in the amd.txt file.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 December 2017 - 03:25 PM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,658 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Tons of threads and reply to said threads, common theme is the RX 480

https://mwomercs.com...-card-detected/

View PostBobby Jubraj, on 20 June 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

Hey all,

Can everyone running into this issue here send me a ticket over at technical@mwomercs.com? We need to get some more diagnostic information here from everyone to look into what can be causing this.

Thanks,

https://mwomercs.com...rted-gpu-error/

#4 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:47 PM

Nice work. Don't forget to send PGI the bill. Posted Image

#5 Ace Kirby

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDream Land

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:14 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't wanna bother them on the holidays, it ain't that critical an issue, I just put the information up so they can check and verify it when back in the office.

The RX 480 is the only card at my disposal, so testing is limited to that, but the logic of those lists is simple.
I randomly checked some other ids from the amd.txt against AMD's Inf file and it looks like the only two newer ids are 67DF and 67EF for the Polaris GPUs, affecting nearly all of the RX 4xx and 5xx cards.
Maybe someone mistook the ids for older chipsets.
In my mind the lists should only be used to block older unsupported cards, as all newer GPUs are correctly identified during client launch, you can check that in the Omicron.log in your MWO profile dir.

@knight-of-ni
Well, I don't know PGI's hourly payout rate in C-Bills... Posted Image
Including searching, checking & testing it took about 10 minutes for the command-line options and half an hour for the compat lists, because I got slightly sidetracked by procmon while checking the correct enumeration of the graphics driver registry keys, which turned out alright and not helping at all.
In contrast compiling and verifying the info for the two posts took over 3 hours, documentation ain't fun.

#6 Ace Kirby

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDream Land

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:52 AM

Just a quick heads-up, the change to the compatibility lists was included in this year's June patch (version 302), the patch file for the Engine.pak contains changes in the internal adress range containing the lists.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:21 PM

They know the bug and as it is not preventing us from playing they decided to make it low priority so a fix is not coming ASAP but maybe sometime before and between Soon™ and Sunset or Never...

But nice work OP!

Edited by Thorqemada, 26 December 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#8 Krist Smith

Senior Engineer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Nice work indeed. This fix is slated to go out with the January patch in a couple of weeks. Assuming all goes well, then we'll drill down into the remaining "unsupported" cards and get those correctly listed.

Thanks for the hard work, I'm sure a lot of your fellow players will appreciate it, as do all of us at PGI.

#9 Ace Kirby

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDream Land

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for the acknowledgment, keeping my fingers crossed for the patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users