Is Machine Gun Boat?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Master Green Fox

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

So, in a few weeks, Clan is going to get another light mech that is a large quantity machine gun boat. Which would make four clan mechs that are designed to be machine gun boats at this point in the game (Piranha, Artic Cheetah, Myst Lynx, Shadow Cat).

What I wanna know at this point is if there are any IS mechs that heavily use maching guns like this in the whole battleteach universe? Some thing that has upward of at least 6 or more machine guns? So far I don't find many IS mechs that even have much more than 4 ballistic hardpoints. So far IS has one hero mech in the Blackjack family that has 6. That's it. no other mech that I know of before we start going into Heavies.

If there isn't any mechs it would sure be kinda cool if PGI would make a mech to act as an IS counter part to these. I mean they've already made two mechs of their own design already. And it would be great to have a roughly equivalent idea to counter these critical monsters. However, if there is an IS mech that is medium or lighter that uses more than 5 machine guns I wish we had in the game. What do you all think?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

A counter for a 20-30 ton MG-boating Light?

Let me think for a second...

SSRM-boating Bushwacker or ASN-23. RIP Light.

As for IS MG boats, right now the Ember is probably the closest thing they have. With that +25% MG RoF quirk, it gets 5x MG for the price of 4x and it has enough energy mounts to punch through armor without breaking the tonnage bank. Only problems are that the 'Mech is big and very clumsy in the handling department. It has severe issues pitching its torso up and down.

#3 Master Green Fox

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:14 PM

I was more asking if there were any IS MG boat in existence at all in the battle tech universe that might be able to be added to the game so that the IS had something on the same level of idea as the clan mechs. At least ones that are not considered hero refits or some such.

I decided to do a lot of reading through Sarna.net just for the hell of it and I have only found 3 specific variants that IS has at all among light mechs.

The Locust has a variant with three LMG's in each arm known as LCT-5T. However it only has a single ER medium laser otherwise.

The Javelin also has a variant armed with a Snub Nosed PPC and 6 machine guns going by JVN-11F

However the small problem with these is that they are variants that get "developed" in 3070 which is beyond where MWO sits even if all the tech is here right now. I don't know how much PGI really cares about that though.

The last one is for the Flea and is the one variant that is within timeline. That one is called the FLE-19 and it has 8 machine guns, a flamer, and a rocket 10.

As much as I think these would be cool to have, I don't really have high hopes of seeing them in game. At least not for quite a while.

*edit: confused Flea with Fire-moth, fixed.

Edited by Master Green Fox, 04 January 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:04 AM

The Scarecrow come in mind although the Davion Military is denying that this design exists. (with its weight you hardly can boat anything else but machine guns) - but timeline (not that timeline really matters anymore - its complete nonsense to keep the timeline as a limiter. (heck we have HPPCs - and there were no HPPCs in the civil war - not that we have the civil war because we have smoke jagurars - but hey we are at 3058 there are smoke jags - sure but light and heavy gauss rifles? What about light fusion.
Timeline is a mess throw it in the same circus on a island you have already locked the quads.

However the problem with machine guns as weapons in MWO is the lack of combined arms - or the creativity to "simulate" combined arms in missions like conquest or assault.
Afaik MachineGuns are lowskill lowrisk weapons they should not deal any significant damage.

#5 Strength Damage Cliff Racer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:56 AM

Well, to this need, PGI could introduce both Guardian and Flea (With Fire Ant hero, sporting 6 MGs and 3 flamers, which should have you covered).
However, I'd like more asymmetrical balance with introduction of ultra-light ballistic weapon known as Magshot
What's this? It's an upscaled version of Battlearmor Gauss Cannon, sporting 2 damage at price of 1 heat with the range which would translate in this game to a profile of Medium Laser. It weights 0.5 tons, with 50 ammo/ton inert ammunition.

#6 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

A lot of the Solaris VII mechs 'boat' MGs. 6-10 MG on some designs is not unusual.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Onslaught
http://www.sarna.net...aut_(BattleMech)

#7 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

There is a flea varient with 8 machine guns stock...

#8 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

The "original" locust is the 6MG/1MLas variant. 3025 tech.
The Vulcan is another anti-infantry mech that could reasonably have more MGs in exchange for its flamers.

#9 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

The urbie r60 can mount four heavy mg with two and a half tons ammo, two med pulse and a 180 light so you can go 104kph. Add in the armour skills and you have a zippy little cqc bastage with near heavy levels of armour (210 points) for mopping up smokers late game. Not too useful early and mid match due to the short range weapons but more than makes up for it later if your team didn't auto self destruct leaving the other side with healthy mechs chasing you down.

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

210 is only a hair over half of what the lightest Heavies can mount, armor-wise (402 on a 60 tonner). It just feels like as much because the 'Mech spreads damage well for various reasons.

Just keeping the facts straight.

#11 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yeah looking at the totals its near medium armour but yes it certainly feels stouter than the numbers say.

#12 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:55 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 15 January 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

There is a flea varient with 8 machine guns stock...

Mindblowing!

So much talk about this mech over the years and now, with the current meta, the first solid argument....

#13 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

View PostxVLFBERHxT, on 17 January 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

Mindblowing!

So much talk about this mech over the years and now, with the current meta, the first solid argument....

Heh, yeah forgetting this is about the lore not the game fits per say. Still I suppose if you can fit it in game it fits with the lore?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users