A Sentence I Don't Want To See At Fafnir Release...

70 replies to this topic

#41 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

View PostCathy, on 06 January 2018 - 08:24 AM, said:

It's going to be terrible.

As it stands the side torso's are massive ( the largest of any fan or official art/3D model ) so it will be really easy to wreck.

The only chance it has or being even QP average, is if the side torso's get massive armour quirks, even the ECM variants.

If they were smaller and the mech looked closer to the official model or artwork, I'd possibly be in for this mech, as it stands i'm not impressed.

This mech could help address some balance issues between I.S and clan, but the massive side torso's mean it's going to be another lost opportunity.

Adding more ammunition to clan bias in the design department, as it seems IS assaults with high mounts must have either be in massive ST or have crap convergence.

Uhm, looking at the TRO:3067 artwork, the scale doesn't look off to me. Both have huge side torsos with little tiny dinosaur arms (plus Godzilla legs). Honestly, looking at any art for the Fafnir, I'm surprised anyone is complaining about the size of the side torsos, they have always been huge (even in MW4). The only good thing is if people are going to run dual Hgauss they will need a standard engine anyway, cause XL would be super comical. Don't see any bias though, the Fafnir has always been depicted as a bloated box on legs.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fafnir just look at those images, Fafnir needs a diet.

#42 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Oh, I thought it was the word "teetmech".

Oh well.

#43 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostHumpday, on 06 January 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

nah not even close to P2W

IS does need another badas$ mech other than the anni to field.
This one I don't even think quirks will do it tbh..

They need one with 2B + 7x or 8x E and high mounts.

The ANH is a master at push and gateholding with its armor and all those ballistics. A somewhat squishier, but more agile, 95-100 tonner with the same kind of alpha that the ANH-1X can muster, but in better mounts, would be the perfect counterpart.

#44 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 January 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

They need one with 2B + 7x or 8x E and high mounts.

The ANH is a master at push and gateholding with its armor and all those ballistics. A somewhat squishier, but more agile, 95-100 tonner with the same kind of alpha that the ANH-1X can muster, but in better mounts, would be the perfect counterpart.

YEP!!!!!!
Edit: only thing is the IS crit limitation hurts the E HPs...so dhs is a struggle.

Edited by Humpday, 06 January 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#45 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 January 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

The body shape is a little distorted.

More importantly, they messed up the arm barrels and turned them into tiny nubs.

They are very scared of large phallic items.

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

View PostHumpday, on 06 January 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

YEP!!!!!!
Edit: only thing is the IS crit limitation hurts the E HPs...so dhs is a struggle.

10% heat gen quirk makes both the ANH-1X and MAL-2P work with only 14 and 13 DHS, respectively. That's for a 73 and 68 point alpha, respectively.

#47 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 06 January 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

10% heat gen quirk makes both the ANH-1X and MAL-2P work with only 14 and 13 DHS, respectively. That's for a 73 and 68 point alpha, respectively.

WOOO!!! That would be bad A!

#48 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 06 January 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

Uhm, looking at the TRO:3067 artwork, the scale doesn't look off to me. Both have huge side torsos with little tiny dinosaur arms (plus Godzilla legs). Honestly, looking at any art for the Fafnir, I'm surprised anyone is complaining about the size of the side torsos, they have always been huge (even in MW4). The only good thing is if people are going to run dual Hgauss they will need a standard engine anyway, cause XL would be super comical. Don't see any bias though, the Fafnir has always been depicted as a bloated box on legs.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fafnir just look at those images, Fafnir needs a diet.

It's alright, dude. I'm pretty sure Cathy has a unique ability to find the worst of any situation no matter how positive it may be. She's like a detective of pessimism.

Edited by Mole, 06 January 2018 - 10:42 PM.

#49 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

View PostHumpday, on 05 January 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

Sunspider = big locust
Fafnir = big cicada!!!!

It has little ears!

https://youtu.be/Vy1M7CSdRpI?t=51s

I have idea hwo to embed youtube into this thing

What?

The Cicada 2B is God Mode.

Master Race Material.

This thing?

325 ENGINE CAP.

It is going to be a giant, slow, lumbering pos that does what, dual heavy gauss???? A Slepnir will feel like a Ferrari compared to this thing. I'll take my triple AC/10 loyalty Victor and circle strafe this nonsense when it comes out.

Please take it back. Don't insult the Cicada which is sleek and slim, full of grace, and just a beautiful, beautiful mech.

View PostMole, on 06 January 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

It's alright, dude. I'm pretty sure Cathy has a unique ability to find the worst of any situation no matter how positive it may be. She's like a detective of pessimism.

What?

Isn't Cathy actually a dude?

Swear I heard them on comms and it is a dude.

#50 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:23 AM

View Posttker 669, on 06 January 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

What?

Isn't Cathy actually a dude?

Swear I heard them on comms and it is a dude.

Hell if I know. But you name yourself Cathy I'm going to assume you're a woman until I learn otherwise because that is a feminine name.

Edited by Mole, 07 January 2018 - 06:23 AM.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 05 January 2018 - 07:38 PM, said:

Sure, don't pre-order expecting quirks. I didn't do that with the Nightstar, I just didn't expect it to come out that big and with such a poor model and animations. But once you have it in your hands, I think it's fair to make all the criticisms you want on how well it does or does not play.

how could one not expect "that poor of a model" when it started as possibly Alex's worse, most boxy, overly upright and crabbed looking art ever?

I seriously don't get how folks seem to put that one the modelers in this case.. the concept art was just as bad.

#52 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 January 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

how could one not expect "that poor of a model" when it started as possibly Alex's worse, most boxy, overly upright and crabbed looking art ever?

I seriously don't get how folks seem to put that one the modelers in this case.. the concept art was just as bad.

I just meant physically large. Not talking about proportions. Nothing in the art suggests scale.

#53 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

View PostMole, on 06 January 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

I don't know when on earth you people are going to learn to not buy a 'mech because you think it will perform well. The combat performance of a 'mech is a complete unknown until it goes live and its performance are also subject to the whims of our Balance Overlord. If you're going to preorder it, only preorder it because you think it's COOL. If you order it based on cool factor you will never be disappointed. If you order it based on some perception that it's going to be the next meta, you are going to be sorely disappointed most of the time. All you people who buy 'mechs for performance and then realize they suck are real quick to blame PGI for that as if PGI somehow misrepresented their product. They did not. Never once in the history of 'mechs has PGI sold a 'mech telling us it was going to be good. They have merely given us its stats, its concept art, and a pricetag. The decision making from that point forward is placed entirely on the buyer. If you feel swindled, PGI didn't swindle you. You swindled yourself.

I agree with what your saying to a certain point, but the negativity is caused by the game P.G.I made, it's a game of corner poke ridge humping caused by pin point instant convergence.

Ergo, any mech that is going to be good, needs high mounts close together, with small side torso's and big arms.

Sure you can buy it for nostalgia, nearly every mech these days is bought for just that, but you can forget nostalgia builds 95% of the time because of customisation, and it being quirked for the high hard points and not the low placed ones.

#54 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

View PostMole, on 07 January 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

Hell if I know. But you name yourself Cathy I'm going to assume you're a woman until I learn otherwise because that is a feminine name.

<---has a Luke Skywalker beard, according to my daughter, and I have balls, no I don't play tennis..

Sheesh look at my profile it's the blue circle with the hard on, not the pink one carrying the cross, that so many pink circles have to bear for procreating with the blue circles.

Yeah this game and it's production, does make me see the dark side, I beat the booze, smoking, and drugs yet this addiction I just can't shake, even though I know it's doing more damage to my mental health than all the others combined. Posted Image

The origins of my name are on these pages, more than once, and the H.B.S pages at least twice.

Edited by Cathy, 07 January 2018 - 08:39 AM.

#55 GBxGhostRider

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

I have played this mech before back in MechWarrior4 Mercenaries with the Mektek pack installed this mech is a Mektek design that was made for one thing (NHUA) = NO HEAT UNLIMITED AMMO games on the Mektek servers and it did ok not great it was slow and was a easy target it had about the same armor as the Atlas.

I remember playing it the Fafnir a few times until I just could not stand to play it anymore heck even a stock DireWolf could out run it and out gun it.Unless PGI has done something Special with its hitboxes to take the OP massive damage mechs can put out in MWO it will be dead in 5 seconds to a OP light mech or even a medium.

MW4 version below
Posted Image

Edited by GBxGhostRider, 07 January 2018 - 08:34 AM.

#56 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:27 PM

"OP Light Mech"

Oh you poor lost summer soul...

#57 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostRhent, on 05 January 2018 - 07:24 PM, said:

If you buy a 100 ton stalker, don't gripe when you lose a torso when a locust sneezes on you.

I mean, it has Atlas levels of armor (19.5 tons of standard armor) on a seemingly smaller overall profile.

#58 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

I can't be the only one whos non-sensically....half opening my wallet despite all the down falls of this thing lol.
I don't understand my brain wtf!!!

#59 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Well i was going to pre order this thing but after reading here and looking at the previous bias PGI has against IS mechs... i've saved myself some money...

They ruined a bunch of my favorite mechs already (Uziel, Thanatos etc) so i'd have to be a moron to buy another pos IS mech to be blasted by overpowered Clanners again...

#60 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:02 PM

View PostHumpday, on 07 January 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

I can't be the only one whos non-sensically....half opening my wallet despite all the down falls of this thing lol.
I don't understand my brain wtf!!!

HGauss is a narcotic. Eventually, you need to find new ways to run HGauss to keep the novelty fresh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users