What Range Do Clan Er Ppc's Do Splash Damage At?

58 replies to this topic

#1 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:48 AM

What range do clan er ppc's do splash damage at? Does this mean it's no longer pinpoint at that range? Or is the description just weird?

Just because, here's my build for now:
Posted Image

#2 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:55 AM

It does 10 pinpoint damage and 2.5 splash to adjacent components at any range adjusted for damage drop off when past optimal.

Edited by Dago Red, 09 January 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#3 gooddragon2

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:06 AM

View PostDago Red, on 09 January 2018 - 03:55 AM, said:

It does 10 pinpoint damage and 2.5 splash to adjacent components at any range adjusted for damage drop off when past optimal.

So it's just not worded clearly to me:
"A Particle Projector Cannon that fires energy particles dealing physical splash damage to the target at longer ranges. ER-PPCs do not have a minimum range."

Well it's nice to know.

#4 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

View Postgooddragon2, on 09 January 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

"A Particle Projector Cannon that fires energy particles dealing physical splash damage to the target at longer ranges. ER-PPCs do not have a minimum range."

Well it's nice to know.

Yeah that's definitely a bit misleading, "longer ranges" here just means that the weapon has a long range, same splash damage at any range.

#5 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:46 PM

i wonder why IS heavy ppc shows as 15 damage then. it must do full pinpoint damage. pgi bias towards IS shows yet again.

#6 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostJess Hazen, on 06 March 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

i wonder why IS heavy ppc shows as 15 damage then. it must do full pinpoint damage. pgi bias towards IS shows yet again.

Shocking, a 10 ton weapon hits harder than a 6 ton one.

Wait until you read about autocannons!

#7 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:51 PM

Its called clam easy mode brah - 6 tons+2 crits vs 10 tons+4crits

ClamXl
Clam 2slot dhs
etc

#8 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

Posted Image

#9 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:40 AM

You're supposed to puff twice, then pass it on to the next person, not hog it and rant.

#10 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

Its an issue of syntax. In many languages, due to verb conjugation and declension of nouns/adjectives, the order of appearance in a sentence doesnt create confusion like this because the grammar clearly defines the intent. This one would be clearer with a subordinate conjuction, in this case "while".

It should read

"A Particle Projector Cannon that fires energy particles at longer ranges while dealing physical splash damage to the target."

/tutor mode disengaged

That'll be eleventy hundred c-bills, PGI.

#11 drifter bob

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • Locationin pugland doing pug things

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:29 AM

View PostKanil, on 06 March 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

Shocking, a 10 ton weapon hits harder than a 6 ton one.

Wait until you read about autocannons!

dont forget 540m optimal and 90m min range

b33f understands min range :P
https://youtu.be/YxsZzqFMlcI?t=39

#12 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:59 AM

Heavy PPC

10 tons
4 crits
90m minimum range
540 optimal range
1200 mps velocity
14.5 heat
15 damage

or

Clan ER-PPC
6 tons
2 crits
no min. range
810 optimal range
1500 mps velocity
14.5 heat
10+2.5 x2 splash

So the price paid for the 5 points of focused damage over 5 points of splash damage is...

Four additional tons
Twice the critical slots
a 90m minimum range
270m lower optimal range
300 mps lower velocity

What bias? it's looking very favorable for the clans in this example.

With that level of "cost" I would expect more from the I.S. weapon...

Edited by Lykaon, 07 March 2018 - 06:07 AM.

#13 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:26 AM

The thing mechlabwarriors dont understand, is that PPCs are a weapon which cant be effectively paired with pretty much anything, and that leaves them at the very limited 20 or 30 alpha potential with severe heat limitations. It doesnt really matter how much it weights or how many crits it takes, as you build your mech around two PPCs and you either do 20 damage or you do 30 damage.

HPPCs 30 damage is barely ok damage-wise, but only on a quirked mech like Firebrand, and they still suck because of minrange.
Clan ERPPCs 20 damage is below ok and they're basically useless outside summoner poptarting. And summoner poptarting suck by itself because you're not helping to spread the damage and your team loses.

And so we have two pinpoint energy options both being bad because PGI's data shows they're as ok as Timby if not better.

#14 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:40 AM

View Postdrifter bob, on 07 March 2018 - 03:29 AM, said:

dont forget 540m optimal and 90m min range

b33f understands min range Posted Image
https://youtu.be/YxsZzqFMlcI?t=39

Can we talk about how god damn huge the Javelin is?

#15 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 07 March 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

The thing mechlabwarriors dont understand, is that PPCs are a weapon which cant be effectively paired with pretty much anything, and that leaves them at the very limited 20 or 30 alpha potential with severe heat limitations. It doesnt really matter how much it weights or how many crits it takes, as you build your mech around two PPCs and you either do 20 damage or you do 30 damage.

HPPCs 30 damage is barely ok damage-wise, but only on a quirked mech like Firebrand, and they still suck because of minrange.
Clan ERPPCs 20 damage is below ok and they're basically useless outside summoner poptarting. And summoner poptarting suck by itself because you're not helping to spread the damage and your team loses.

And so we have two pinpoint energy options both being bad because PGI's data shows they're as ok as Timby if not better.

Or...

The PPC can be incorperated into a build as longer range component of an overall weapon payload.

I have a very successful Marauder 5D build that has a H-PPC on the right torso a MRM30 on the left and 2 Medium lasers in each arm.

The H-PPC gives you a long range punch that can't be ignored (15 per hit isn't going to knock anyone's socks off as an alpha but they won't sit and take it either.) The MRMs are a mid range option that can pair with the H-PPC. At knife fighting ranges the H-PPC is off the menu due to min. range concerns but the quartet of mediums is in play. And of course at around 100-300m everything is in the mix but can lead to heat issues.

#16 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Well it's nice to know.

View PostSjorpha, on 09 January 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

Yeah that's definitely a bit misleading, "longer ranges" here just means that the weapon has a long range, same splash damage at any range.

Splash=25%, more specifically

So, if you get past optimal range, you'll get 25% of whichever applied damage to either side.

#17 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

I must admit that I like the build you made.

#18 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostLykaon, on 07 March 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

Heavy PPC

10 tons
4 crits
90m minimum range
540 optimal range
1200 mps velocity
14.5 heat
15 damage

or

Clan ER-PPC
6 tons
2 crits
no min. range
810 optimal range
1500 mps velocity
14.5 heat
10+2.5 x2 splash

So the price paid for the 5 points of focused damage over 5 points of splash damage is...

Four additional tons
Twice the critical slots
a 90m minimum range
270m lower optimal range
300 mps lower velocity

What bias? it's looking very favorable for the clans in this example.

With that level of "cost" I would expect more from the I.S. weapon...

you forgot to mention IS in this case does more damage per heat. contrast clan does has more heat than damage.

#19 Jess Hazen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 643 posts
  • LocationFrozen in Time Somewhere IDK?

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Sooo thats a bit of a strong and also poor reaction as usual. i'm guessing that none of you free thinking IS white knights who jump on the chance to hurl insults, were there and/or were even capable of comprehending the original reason as to why the cerppc was given the exquisite ability to do splash damage(or as i like to call it, ghost damage. because it counts on the scoreboard but its not really worth anything). No? Well allow me to enlighten you, so please take a load off and join me by the fireplace for story time.

Once upon a time it was determined by the pgi gods whom the white knights of mwo worship that for no other reason but the fact that 15 points of pinpoint damage in the hands of a clan pilot was too much and in order to soothe the loudest and most heavily overrun river of tears which for some reason always belongs to these white knights, that their wishes naturally would be granted. following suit the pgi gods made it so that the pinpoint damage of the cerppc would by heavenly decree be nerfed by 5, adding the 5 points back as "ghost splash damage", just like the thought behind every other nerf that the clans get every patch, the pgi gods can't nerf the clan mechwarriors ability to pilot(or maybe they can in the recent skill tree nerf to clan side only) so lets nerf their equipment to compensate. and the largest, loudest, overflowing river of tears will dry up for another day, or at least until the next patch.

Thanks for joining for story time, please direct any and all flames to help start up the fireplace i have kindly setup to keep everyone warm on this cold and snowy evening.

Edited by Jess Hazen, 07 March 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#20 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

add IS cycles faster than Clan too...

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users