So How Do You Build A Cyclops?

35 replies to this topic

#1 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

I did a search and, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a thread about Cyclops builds in a long time. (I could have missed something).

Aside from the 7 SRM boat, no one seemed really sure what to do with it. The most successful Cyclops I've personally seen was toting a whole bunch of MRMs with back up weapons.

So does anyone have a really stacked build they want to share? Usually you know 'em when you see 'em. Like the LB-20+billions of MRMs or SRMs builds. As soon as you see a 'mech fire off an 80 point alpha without overheating you know the steak is well marbled.

#2 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 10 January 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

I did a search and, to the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a thread about Cyclops builds in a long time. (I could have missed something).

Aside from the 7 SRM boat, no one seemed really sure what to do with it. The most successful Cyclops I've personally seen was toting a whole bunch of MRMs with back up weapons.

So does anyone have a really stacked build they want to share? Usually you know 'em when you see 'em. Like the LB-20+billions of MRMs or SRMs builds. As soon as you see a 'mech fire off an 80 point alpha without overheating you know the steak is well marbled.

I love the Cyclops.

Sleipnir: STD ~285 I think, 2 Heavy Goose, 4 ERML
CP-11-A-DC-OMG-WTF-BBQ: LFE ~350, SRM22a, UAC20
CP-11-P: LFE 325 maybe? can't remember, but with 2 UAC5 and 2 PPC built asymmetrically plus ECM might be able to go up to a 340, I'm sure that will sort itself out as you build it. 5t ammo.

And then yeah, the SRM boat like you said but that one never seemed to have enough character for me, although it is good.

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 10 January 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#3 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

CP-10-Q

This is what I did on mine and I love it.

#4 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

I was so sad you can't mix command console with tactical computers, i was trying to build an ultimate sensor mech.. (how very steiner of me).
Not really sure now what to do with non-boatable Cyclops.. 6ERML and Gauss with TC8 and few rocketpods. Playable, but i'm sure there are better builds.

P.S. I was thinking, if LB20-X with TC8. Pellets have better crit chances (right?), and they should stick with TC. Plus you don't need aim too much with that thing.

#5 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 January 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

And then yeah, the SRM boat like you said but that one never seemed to have enough character for me, although it is good.

All good suggestions, thanks! I agree about lacking character. A motivating reason I don't want to just MRM every 'mech with missile hardpoints. It works but it's vanilla like a McDonald's ice cream cone.

View PostSigmar Sich, on 10 January 2018 - 10:47 AM, said:

I was so sad you can't mix command console with tactical computers, i was trying to build an ultimate sensor mech.. (how very steiner of me).
Not really sure now what to do with non-boatable Cyclops.. 6ERML and Gauss with TC8 and few rocketpods. Playable, but i'm sure there are better builds.

P.S. I was thinking, if LB20-X with TC8. Pellets have better crit chances (right?), and they should stick with TC. Plus you don't need aim too much with that thing.

This is sort of where the last threads left off. You can always put medium lasers and gauss on anything and it will work. I've already got too many such builds to count, not least of which is the Boar's Head. (Almost wrote Bore's Head...Freudian slip?) I do love that 'mech, though, but I played it to death. Been running a UAC-10 + 5 medium Enforcer, which also makes the whole build seem kind of under-tonnage for an assault.

View PostN a p e s, on 10 January 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

CP-10-Q

This is what I did on mine and I love it.

Looks solid! I've got a Mauler set up similarly. MRMs are good, man.

#6 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

A stable classic: CP-11-P

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 10 January 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

All good suggestions, thanks! I agree about lacking character. A motivating reason I don't want to just MRM every 'mech with missile hardpoints. It works but it's vanilla like a McDonald's ice cream cone.

Put a big *** XL and 7xSSRM6 on the 10-Q. Have fun padding your damage. No light mech can mess with you when you are around the cap points. :P

#8 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

Well you can fit a nice dose of MRMs and SRMs on the 7 missile variant, just lead in your fire with the MRM volley and pop the SRM volley at the .5 second ghost heat threshold on targets at closer ranges.

#9 W31rdWarrior

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:40 PM

This il my favourite build, a beast!
You have to try it, you'll fall in love!

Posted Image

Edited by W31rdWarrior, 10 January 2018 - 12:40 PM.

#10 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

View PostW31rdWarrior, on 10 January 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

This il my favourite build, a beast!
You have to try it, you'll fall in love!

Posted Image

That's kinda cool. Pretty impressive mid range DPS, plus the ever valuable ECM. I can see that working really well in certain high speed games. What's that? 8 'mechs just poked over that hill 400 meters away? With no radar sig, you say? Gee gee.

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 January 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Put a big *** XL and 7xSSRM6 on the 10-Q. Have fun padding your damage. No light mech can mess with you when you are around the cap points. Posted Image

There's not much more satisfying than picking off a light that was too sure of victory.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 10 January 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

A stable classic: CP-11-P

You and weird warrior are thinking alike my man :) Must be something to this build...

#11 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

• Sugar.
  • Spice.
  • Everything nice.

#12 W31rdWarrior

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:09 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 10 January 2018 - 12:59 PM, said:

That's kinda cool. Pretty impressive mid range DPS, plus the ever valuable ECM. I can see that working really well in certain high speed games. What's that? 8 'mechs just poked over that hill 400 meters away? With no radar sig, you say? Gee gee.

There's not much more satisfying than picking off a light that was too sure of victory.

You and weird warrior are thinking alike my man Posted Image Must be something to this build...

I didn't see the VonBruinwald build, it's similar, whith different roles....
You can also downgrade the engine to a 330 or 325 rating to fit another SRM2 plus ammo
It's a component wrecker, very funny to see enemies going to pieces under the twin LB10-Xs shots Posted Image

Edited by W31rdWarrior, 11 January 2018 - 12:12 AM.

#13 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:32 AM

View PostW31rdWarrior, on 11 January 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

I didn't see the VonBruinwald build, it's similar, whith different roles....
You can also downgrade the engine to a 330 or 325 rating to fit another SRM2 plus ammo
It's a component wrecker, very funny to see enemies going to pieces under the twin LB10-Xs shots Posted Image

I'm looking at that build right now in the store, debating getting it. I dunno, for some reason I want a Cyclops and that build is unique enough to make me want to try it.

#14 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:49 AM

I was walking past a tall wooden fence the other day, you know the kind you see outside a building site. As I walked along beside it I heard chanting coming from behind the fence further up... they were chanting numbers, or rather just one number.

"Thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, ..." they excitedly chanted. It sounded like a small crowd, young and old; men, women and children. All of them saying the same number over and over.

As I approached I saw a small hole in the fence just big enough to look through. The hole was right where the sound appeared to be originating from.

So, with the crowd continuing to chant "... thirteen, thirteen, thirteen, thirteen" and it seeming to become more intense as I leaned down to place my eye at the hole and work out WTF was happening in there.

Just as I put my eye to the hole a small finger like that of a child poked me in the eye and the crowd stared cheered loudly and started chanting again..

"Fourteen, fourteen, fourteen..."

And that, is how you build a cyclops.

#15 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:53 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger. 2 LB-10x, 4 medium lasers, 1 srm 6.

The first game I played with it, and also my first game of the day, I got 1111 damage and 5 kills. I tried to screen cap it but Windows failed me Posted Image all I get when I paste is a black screen.

Anyway...this thing is rad!

Edited by Water Bear, 11 January 2018 - 05:54 AM.

#16 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:58 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 11 January 2018 - 05:53 AM, said:

Well, I pulled the trigger. 2 LB-10x, 4 medium lasers, 1 srm 6.

The first game I played with it, and also my first game of the day, I got 1111 damage and 5 kills. I tried to screen cap it but Windows failed me Posted Image all I get when I paste is a black screen.

Anyway...this thing is rad!

Hey, I was on that match!

Anyway, there's a specific MWO folder where the screenshot is saved.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:00 AM

Take someone you don't like.
Perform Heath Ledger's magic pencil trick.
You've successfully built a cyclops.

#18 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:02 AM

I think i finally came up with my Cyclops build. And.... it's an abomination..
So why do this, you steiner potato, one might ask. Here's the reasoning: i have many mechs, and i try to make them different from each other. What makes Cyclops unique? Tacticon computer with sensor range buff. Lets play this feature, adding BAP. Mmm, Tactical computer also adds its mojo, lets go for biggest one. Oh, it improves critical chances.. I need crit-effective weapons. Wait, i can add skills to improve missile crit damage, so i go missiles. And here you stand on the crossroad - MRM or LRM.
I think MRM would be better, but they already plague most of my mechs. And i have super-sensors, so lets use them. Thus came LRM. I feel dirty..

P.S. As for double LB 10-X, that's good old atlas build, it was once popular around beta. Though Cyclops have better weapon placement for it.

Edited by Sigmar Sich, 11 January 2018 - 06:09 AM.

#19 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:21 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 11 January 2018 - 05:58 AM, said:

Hey, I was on that match!

Anyway, there's a specific MWO folder where the screenshot is saved.

Thanks for the info! I might see if I can get that to work. At least I have a witness ;)

View PostSigmar Sich, on 11 January 2018 - 06:02 AM, said:

I think i finally came up with my Cyclops build. And.... it's an abomination..
So why do this, you steiner potato, one might ask. Here's the reasoning: i have many mechs, and i try to make them different from each other. What makes Cyclops unique? Tacticon computer with sensor range buff. Lets play this feature, adding BAP. Mmm, Tactical computer also adds its mojo, lets go for biggest one. Oh, it improves critical chances.. I need crit-effective weapons. Wait, i can add skills to improve missile crit damage, so i go missiles. And here you stand on the crossroad - MRM or LRM.
I think MRM would be better, but they already plague most of my mechs. And i have super-sensors, so lets use them. Thus came LRM. I feel dirty..

P.S. As for double LB 10-X, that's good old atlas build, it was once popular around beta. Though Cyclops have better weapon placement for it.

I appreciate the explanation. I don't yet know how all the sensor buffs work, but the build looks interesting and is definitely unlike any of my others. I, too, find myself un-interested in many 'mechs just because I can already do the build. I can put 2x LB-10x on my Onions, and have done so before, but the Cyclops build is juuuust different enough, what with the ECM and being a fast 90 tonner :D

#20 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Do IS targeting computers buff LBX-ACs?
The clan ones dont.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users