Ice Ferret P

6 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

I started with 3 ERML, 1 HLL, and 1 DHS, but the right torso kept falling off at the slightest excuse. That took most of my firepower with it. I switched to one of the no-weapon RTs earlier today, swapped weapons to 1 HLL in each arm. That nets me 3 less alpha damage and longer burn time, a substantial heat management boost (Mechlab says 1.12 up to 1.42), and ~15 points of armor on the right torso.

I have been very happy with Mech performance since then. Since the arms are small and the torsos are boxy, I usually die to CT or 2x ST loss, so having the weapons in the arms isn't a problem. I do use the arms for independent aiming for some degree of shielding.

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:34 AM

Yes, the 2 HLL build seems to work well for the Fridge if you're willing to run away when pressured.

I remember using it to good effect on Polar Highlands back when I first got my Rainbow Crow. I was able to just stand on the enemy's flank and fire at will for the most part, and with the Fridge's speed any time a bigger mech looked at me I'd just peel away for a few seconds to cool off, then reset and have another go at the enemy mechs.

The only problem is that with its long 1.55 second burn time you're making a commitment every time you pull the trigger. You have to make sure you're not being targeted because standing out in the open for a second and a half with a pair of lasers marking your location is an invitation for return fire.

#3 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

I've been using a 5 HML build on my Rainbow Crow. I like sneaking around and dumping a 50 dmg alpha into an Assault's tailpipe.

The mech is hot and fragile, but for some reason I find piloting it to be a fun challenge.

#4 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

My 2 main builds are 5ERML and 5HML, both with ECM, max armor, rest into DHS. I tried HLLs, but they are too heavy and also much more prone to being crit out (if anything sneezes at your backside or hits your open HLL component you will loose that 90% of the time). The 5 laser build spreads the guns out enough so that at the absolute worst case scenario im left with at least 2 of them (ive had maybee 1-2 games where i lost all my guns and didnt die but both times i was so crit the next shot would have killed me anyway, normally i still have an arm left if the RT goes).

Both of them are meant for flanking and kiting targets, the 5 ERML build is my fav in scouting mode since mechs that can reach past 500m are super rare, so its a matter of staying past 400m and nailing a leg every burn. The HML one is alot more deadly (1 shot backstabs are really common), but its also riskier since you need to get into brawling ranges to really hurt someone with it, and if you try to fire much past 400m its damage is pitiful. Both are solid though, each just plays a slightly different variation of the same role.

ive also seen 2 ERLL versions running around, but im not so sure you should be touching heavy weapons like that on a fridge, if you really want to run ERLL/HLL, stick em on a shadowcat which has the tonnage, ECM, and JJs to use em more effectively.

#5 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

Play to the quirks, it's worth it. One Er Large in the side torso with 3 Er Med in the rest. With the duration quirk and full duration in the skill tree you can really do some work. Don't get too hung up on a big alpha, that's for other clan mechs. You're a Ferret.

#6 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 11:55 PM

2 Medium Pulse Lasers
3 LRM5
ECM

I cannot begin to express how much this build rocks and how much fun it is.
I've even been falsely accused of hacking in this thing.

#7 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

Really the ONLY good builds on the ice fridge are 5-6 ERML depending on whether you have the ECM or the CT energy variant. Im not saying you cannot make another weapon work, but there is so little tonnage that even SRMs (with the bare minimum 3 tons of ammo) are a huge disadvantage as you have no way to cool the mech.

Before ive been able to make quad MPLs work, but after the damage and then subsequent range nerf, im pretty much dead set on 5-6 ERMLs as the only general purpose ice fridge there is (cSPLs back in the glory days worked, now useless).

Just play it as a flanker/harasser, as any other playstyle wont take advantage of the one unique feature of the fridge, a massive overkill engine rating letting it outrun many lights. Stay close enough to the team so that you can go back to them if you get rushed by lights, but far enough that your fire will be hitting sides/rear of enemy forcing them to either turn and face you or get backstabbed if they choose to ignore you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users