The Hypervelocity Ac/10

65 replies to this topic

#1 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

Came across this weapon on the facebook battletech group.

So... its basically an ac/10 that has higher velocity and longer range. And its invented in 3059

Well... could this weapon work in MWO? Because i see the experimental tag.
Also what would be its optimal range?

#2 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:49 AM

The optimal range is translated as 600m (30*20m) in MWO speak.

It's basically a bulkier heavier but longer ranged AC/10. PGI can increase its projectile speed over the AC/10.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 11 January 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

...how about we just increase AC velocities across the board to add incentive over UACs?

There's such as thing as redundant weapons, which we can avoid, if so inclined

#4 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:56 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 11 January 2018 - 12:53 AM, said:

...how about we just increase AC velocities across the board to add incentive over UACs?

There's such as thing as redundant weapons, which we can avoid, if so inclined

Yeah especially for clan there is basically no reason to go regular clan ACs.

#5 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:57 AM

Its redeeming quality is that a single Hyper AC/10 takes 6 slots as opposed to 7 slots for the AC/10.

6 slots can give you TWO Hyper AC/10 on a single ST, though now you need to provide 2 more tons for each hyper mounted.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 11 January 2018 - 12:57 AM.

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:14 AM

Hyper AC/10 is only worth it if you have the tonnage for an AC/20, but want to use an XL for more speed. Shadowhawk for example. But then why not just use a LFE and an AC/20 for double the damage for the same tonnage? Only see it worth it (not really) if the mech doesn't have ST ballistics and only in the arms (Wolverine 7D?).

I'd personally avoid the extra tonnage of hyper ACs like the plague because you're investing more tonnage and getting zero returns in benefits other than "cool i can plink at you from a greater distance".

#7 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

View PostDirewoof, on 11 January 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

Yeah especially for clan there is basically no reason to go regular clan ACs.

I'm game for this. Drop one of the shells fired from each class of Clan standard AC but keep total damage for its type. Apply LBX quirk bonuses for range, cooldown & heat to Clan standard AC as they are supposed to be an LBX firing a slug round, so right now they are cheated out of their bonuses from mechs that offer them.
Then increase velocity of the Clan and IS standard AC 10's. People might find a use for what's been changed rather than fall back on what's obviously superior to them to use.

#8 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:23 AM

View Posttheta123, on 11 January 2018 - 12:45 AM, said:

Came across this weapon on the facebook battletech group.

So... its basically an ac/10 that has higher velocity and longer range. And its invented in 3059

Well... could this weapon work in MWO? Because i see the experimental tag.
Also what would be its optimal range?

Sarna is quite often horribly imprecise when it comes to weapon introduction dates. The first prototype dates to 3059; the regular production however began 20 years later. With very few exceptions MWO uses regular production models only (and the exceptions, the L-AMS, are likely a misreading too...).

Many people dislike it in TT since the extra heat is significant, not to mention the extra weight, and... well... it does explode without enemy fire.

"On a to-hit roll result of 2, the chambered round’s propellant ignites within the barrel, inflicting internal explosion damage equal to that of a single round from the HVAC and destroying all the HVAC’s critical slots (in addition to any other critical hits rolled up from the explosion)."

PGI might avoid the random explosion (at least they should), but some drawback would be present I guess. And even without the drawback I am not sure if I would want some extra range and velocity for more than double the heat and two additional tons. The increased DHS demand would probably negate the advantages in most cases.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:28 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 January 2018 - 01:23 AM, said:

Sarna is quite often horribly imprecise when it comes to weapon introduction dates. The first prototype dates to 3059; the regular production however began 20 years later. With very few exceptions MWO uses regular production models only (and the exceptions, the L-AMS, are likely a misreading too...).

Many people dislike it in TT since the extra heat is significant, not to mention the extra weight, and... well... it does explode without enemy fire.

"On a to-hit roll result of 2, the chambered round’s propellant ignites within the barrel, inflicting internal explosion damage equal to that of a single round from the HVAC and destroying all the HVAC’s critical slots (in addition to any other critical hits rolled up from the explosion)."

PGI might avoid the random explosion (at least they should), but some drawback would be present I guess. And even without the drawback I am not sure if I would want some extra range and velocity for more than double the heat and two additional tons. The increased DHS demand would probably negate the advantages in most cases.

Well the nearest thought that presents itself would be indeed longer range, vastly higher projectile speed and smaler weapon for more tonnage and slower reload time.
So exchange DPS for range and precesion ... but honestly in this game with all the running zooooooming around mechs on quite smal maps....where is the place for such a weapon.

Edited by The Basilisk, 11 January 2018 - 01:30 AM.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:50 AM

HVAC10 seems like a pretty decent weapon.

1 ton lighter than a gauss rifle, 5 less damage per shot, similar velocities (probably would be within 500 m/s), no charge up, doesn't explode as much, over 50% higher DPS.

Basically would be a gauss rifle for people who don't want charge up times and want more DPS.

Though, thinking into it a bit more, the extra heat it generates kinda defeats the purpose. So RIP HVAC10.

Edited by Dakota1000, 11 January 2018 - 02:52 AM.

#11 Lugin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:42 AM

Don't forget the obscene amount of smoke all the HVA/Cs generate when fired.
That could be a bonus or drawback depending on the situation.

#12 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

The HVAC10 is my favourite ballistic but I'd rather have the Light AC2/5 in MWO.

... and Plasma Rifles...

#13 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:28 AM

Light AC5 would be pretty sweet not just for the weight reduction, but because it goes from 4 crits to 2. I could have a quad LAC5 Banshee, the guns would be 4 tons lighter than the triple AC5 loadout, *and* I would have enough crit space for a LFE!

Which means I'd probably be able to run triple large lasers on the other shoulder.

Hmm, the whole thing may run into a problem if 4 AC5s triggers ghost heat though.

Unfortunately they don't roll out until 3068, so we'll have to wait for the Jihad Era update.

#14 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 January 2018 - 05:11 AM, said:

The HVAC10 is my favourite ballistic but I'd rather have the Light AC2/5 in MWO.

This man gets it. LACs aren't the Autocannons we deserve, but they're the Autocannons we need. So many possibilities!

Edited by Bombast, 11 January 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#15 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

6 LAC/5 MX90. For the same weight as two gauss rifles and 1 less crit space. Yes please.

#16 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

I'm not sure about hyper velocity AC/10s but I do see some discussion about regular Clan ACs in here being useless when compared to the UAC versions. Personally I feel like clan ACs should function like IS ACs where the Ultra variation fires multiple slugs but the normal variation fires one single slug. This single slug mechanic is the only reason IS ACs have remained a viable choice since IS UACs came out.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

IS ACs have never been a viable choice since IS UACs came out. Distinct, perhaps, but inferior.

Single-shot is also the only thing keeping them at all useful compared to cACs, but not by much since a cUAC is still a superior option and a cUAC has a lower opportunity cost than a cAC.

#18 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:27 AM

IS gets HyperAC's, Clan gets HAG's

I think that is fair

#19 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostBumbleBee, on 11 January 2018 - 10:27 AM, said:

IS gets HyperAC's, Clan gets HAG's

I think that is fair

They're not really related though, and one of them is much better than the other...

#20 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

I've got an idea. Give it penetration, so it can pass through the initial target and hit someone behind. Don't ask why the Gauss rifle doesn't do that, just have faith.

Ooh, you can give the light gauss penetration, too, so that it's actually worth the bother.

Edited by Water Bear, 11 January 2018 - 10:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users