#41 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 12 January 2018 - 11:26 AM, said:

Is it because timeline, or was the timeline stopped where it was because PGI doesn't want the headache of balancing LACs against ACs, HAGs against HGauss, Magshots against AP Gauss, and Plasma Rifles/Cannons against literally everything else? Because they don't want the hassle of coding in XL Gyros and Small cockpits?

All of the above? It also stops conveniently short of the Jihad and all of its associated Epic Stupid, which really should just be retconned in full.

#42 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostVerilligo, on 12 January 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

All of the above? It also stops conveniently short of the Jihad and all of its associated Epic Stupid, which really should just be retconned in full.

TBQH, pretty much all of BT needs to be retconned in full. The legacy baggage is preventing the IP from evolving.

Reboot, pls.

#43 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 12 January 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

TBQH, pretty much all of BT needs to be retconned in full. The legacy baggage is preventing the IP from evolving.

Reboot, pls.

I'd be one to agree, but that's a pretty monumental undertaking for a relatively niche IP. Especially in a world where apparently we can't even go back to revise old TT rulesets and rebalance things properly, but instead have to create entire new weapons just to correct an old mistake like the AC10.

#44 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 12 January 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

I'd be one to agree, but that's a pretty monumental undertaking for a relatively niche IP. Especially in a world where apparently we can't even go back to revise old TT rulesets and rebalance things properly, but instead have to create entire new weapons just to correct an old mistake like the AC10.

Shank the grognards, they are useless.

#45 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:11 AM

How about we increase the damage of IS "light" gauss to something useful.

Then boom, you got your long range 10ish damage 12 ton IS weapon.

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostroboPrancer, on 13 January 2018 - 11:11 AM, said:

How about we increase the damage of IS "light" gauss to something useful.

Then boom, you got your long range 10ish damage 12 ton IS weapon.

Because that's too easy and obvious and it would, as a point of fact that I will concede, obsolete the AC/10 for anything other than doing PPFLD builds on Assaults. The incoming Fafnir 5E can do twin HPPC and twin AC/10 all in the torso and deliver 50 PPFLD from 450 meters. It will be hot, but it will also be sassy. Can't do that with LGauss, not with the Ghost Heat link.

#47 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

View PostLugin, on 11 January 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Don't forget the obscene amount of smoke all the HVA/Cs generate when fired.
That could be a bonus or drawback depending on the situation.

It's certainly the best anti-graphics card weapon to date if implemented. Otherwise, it'd be tremendously useful. Fire, duck into your own smoke cloud for reduced return fire. The "explodes on a 2" is the harsh part- but then, UACs in TT also permajam on a 2, so perhaps a small amount of internal damage on a firing failure is the MWO solution, since we fire far, FAR more rounds than TT in a match.

#48 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Except, Night Vision sees straight through the smoke on CryEngine and even Thermal mostly cuts through.

#49 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostDirewoof, on 11 January 2018 - 12:56 AM, said:

Yeah especially for clan there is basically no reason to go regular clan ACs.

They simply shouldn't have them, just remove them.

#50 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 13 January 2018 - 01:45 PM, said:

This. They're literally an invention of Paul as a "placeholder" for LB-X standard fire mode, left to gather dust when he decided it was impossible to give a single weapon multiple fire modes.

The same thing incidentally cripples standard IS ACs, as they can't use the wide variety of ammo types they're supposed to. And diminishes SRMs, LRMs, gives ATMs a deadzone, and prevents MMLs from existing. It's one of the biggest problems with MWO's engine right now (the lack of multiple fire modes), along with the construction system being so kludgy they can't properly allow big guns to fit in multiple adjacent locations (which prevents things like HGR+ LFE or arm-mounted LB-20X, and utterly forbids all artillery-type weapon mounts).

#51 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

Going hyper AC? Not sure..

#52 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Man, inferno SRMs would probably be horrifying in the current meta.

#53 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

just when you thought the AC2 couldnt get any worse... HVAC2 for 8 tons.

no thx. HVACs have no purpose in this game. they weigh too much to be useful.

what we need are LACs. those would actually be useful and allow lights and mediums to take autocannons.

They should have them. And they should fire single slugs like IS autocannons (but with a slower rate of fire, higher heat, and longer range).

And they should only be removed when LBX can properly switch between slug and cluster ammo.

Clans shouldnt lose access to single slug ACs just because PGI cant code properly.

Man, inferno SRMs would probably be horrifying in the current meta.

they could make SRM2s into inferno SRM2s.

people rarely use SRM2s, but they might use them if they caused heat instead of damage.

like the missile equivalent of a flamer.

Edited by Khobai, 13 January 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#54 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

One thing that'd keep infernos from being so heinous is making it a heat-over-time effect, with a maximum of (say) 1.5 heat/second (TT external heat effect maximize at 15 heat points/turn). That way, you can't turn an Arctic Fox into a napalm stunner on legs and all further inferno hits would do is reset the clock. It'd also give a nice way to scale inferno SRMs. 7.5 SRMs = 15 heat points, so 0.2 heat per SRM hit, maximum 1.5 heat effect at a time. It'd basically mean more than paired SRM 4's with inferno ammo would be overkill.

#55 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

I like my straight-damage SRM2, thanks. If you want to add Inferno as an upgrade a la Artemis, though, be my guest.

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:57 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 11 January 2018 - 01:28 AM, said:

Well the nearest thought that presents itself would be indeed longer range, vastly higher projectile speed and smaler weapon for more tonnage and slower reload time.
So exchange DPS for range and precesion ... but honestly in this game with all the running zooooooming around mechs on quite smal maps....where is the place for such a weapon.

What if it sprayed fast bullets (rather than throw all the eggs into a single basket)?
Posted Image <--troll face placeholder?

#57 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 14 January 2018 - 08:30 AM, said:

I like my straight-damage SRM2, thanks. If you want to add Inferno as an upgrade a la Artemis, though, be my guest.

The funny thing is that this could be done and would be a great substitute for ammo switching on applicable weapons. You could even use it to switch between regular AC and LBX AC, whether slug or pellet shot, just like the current system where Artemis SRMs and LRMs are their own purchased item on top of the cost of applying the Artemis system to the mech. I mean to the best of my knowledge, in TT the LBXs are flatly better than normal ACs for all intents and purposes, other than the fact certain IS LBXs cost more crits.

#58 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 14 January 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

The funny thing is that this could be done and would be a great substitute for ammo switching on applicable weapons. You could even use it to switch between regular AC and LBX AC, whether slug or pellet shot, just like the current system where Artemis SRMs and LRMs are their own purchased item on top of the cost of applying the Artemis system to the mech. I mean to the best of my knowledge, in TT the LBXs are flatly better than normal ACs for all intents and purposes, other than the fact certain IS LBXs cost more crits.

I mean, all the Artemis upgrade does code-wise is block access to the SRM weapon and ammo and enable access to the SRM+Artemis weapon and ammo. EZ PZ for any other weapon, but #Work

The only slug LB-X that might be worth something for IS in MWO are the 10 for obvious reasons and the 20 for the range. Otherwise the standard ACs with the various ammo types are more desirable.

Clans, tho.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 14 January 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#59 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:33 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 14 January 2018 - 09:24 AM, said:

Bulkier, plus you have to have ammo for both types if you really want to benefit from LB's. An AC/5 in TT can easily get away with one ton of ammo, while an LB-5X has to have at least two to be able to benefit from ammo swapping. Standard AC's also have other ammo types that come in handy LBs can't use, like precision rounds.

#60 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

HVAC can be good in turret or in field mount for infantry in TT. But in MWO it's just mech warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users