Did They Change The Way Tier Is Calculated?

8 replies to this topic

#1 razenWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

I made a test account... and after 4-5 consecutive 400+ 4-0 games, I am still like only 15% into tier 4...

I remember stories on how people drop 3 times, score about that much, and they are tier 3 50%.

Did they change how the tier-ing up system work? Seems to be slower now.

Evidence exhibit B: was watching this chill AF twitch streamer in tier 5. He's not the greatest pilot, but he's got a steady aim that worth at least warrant him in tier 4-3+. But he's still in tier 5 after consecutive 600, 700 damage games. Now admittingly, he started his playing career with some horrendous outings, but I use to get the impressions that bad games are only temporary road blocks, where as good games will jump the slider more significantly.

#2 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Made a joke account 12 hours ago. Did not do tutorial. 40% into T4 with only 1 game in a trial mech. I think its more dependent on matchscore than damage. Just like cbills or xp farming, I don't think damage is that important. Would probably be higher if I had consumables to work with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 13 January 2018 - 11:58 PM.

#3 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 13 January 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

Made a joke account 12 hours ago. Did not do tutorial. 40% into T4 with only 1 game in a trial mech. I think its more dependent on matchscore than damage. Just like cbills or xp farming, I don't think damage is that important. Would probably be higher if I had consumables to work with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Except that I would routinely get 300-500 MS on my T4 matches, win or lose, and the best I would ever get is around a 1% increase... So something's seriously off with who gets what for their PSR bonuses.

I think you should report it if you're getting that much increase in a single match, because either your's a serious bug, or mine is.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 14 January 2018 - 12:08 AM.

#4 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:11 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 14 January 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

Except that I would routinely get 300-500 MS on my T4 matches, win or lose, and the best I would ever get is around a 1% increase... So something's seriously off with who gets what for their PSR bonuses.

I think you should report it if you're getting that much increase in a single match, because either your's a serious bug, or mine is.

Well I think others have said before that the first 25 cadet matches? are heavily weighted so you'd move more in PSR when you score extremely well. This is probably to move experienced pilots quickly into the upper tiers and prevent too much seal clubbing.

Once you pass the first 25 matches, things probably start to slow down. There's pros and cons to this system and in my opinion, probably gameable as well.

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 14 January 2018 - 12:57 AM.

#5 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:16 AM

Then apparently the first 25 are also weighted the other way, since I started at the bottom of T5 when I returned in August 2017 after leaving sometime in 2013 when I couldn't fully repair my purchased mech more than once every 30 rounds. (I wasn't very good back then)

#6 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:04 PM

I made one on the 18 Oct 2017, out of curiosity, called "muchchuckles". Think it took 3 games to reach tier 3... got part way into Tier 2 after 256 games... stopped using it as my curiosity was well and truly sated (Also hated ST grind, missed consumables and spacebucks).

#7 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Your old losses sandbag you eternally. Your first 25 matches are your placement matches, if you do good in those you can be well through tier 3 before your cadet bonus is over, if you do bad on them it will take some time just to get out of tier 5.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

If this was your original account then with no games listed from Jan 2015 to August 2015 then when you returned last year you would have been seeded Tier 5 and would have been playing with no cade bonus actually running, iirc. Originally new players, as well as old accounts with no history during that specific time period were seeded Tier 4 before being changed to Tier 5. And your first two months back your W/L was not only far in the red but your average match scores were extremely low, making your MS drop your PSR more while your wins you were lucky to break even (no improvement) or barely moved up.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 14 January 2018 - 05:10 PM.

#9 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

My newest account is still well over a year old but I can tell you back then it was possible to skyrocket an account to half way through tier 3.

Recently jumped a tier and a bit from low four into three in 74 games. https://leaderboard....hwarrior2470942

Some of those were inflated by running a Whammy 6R to get loot, mc and all the goodies. Plus mechs on sale. Normally in lower tiers I like to either handicap myself with trial or work on something I am not very good at ie. assaults.

Not sure if the early boost still applies but it seems to be easy to shoot through a tier fairly quick. At least 74 matches feels quick to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users