Faction Play - Training

407 replies to this topic

#41 Winnie The Pew

• Pip
  • The Pest
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:23 AM

Good to know Leone. Unless I am in a fast light, I am a with-the-group player (unless I get caught out of position of course). the frustration I get in QP (even inT2) from people not working together is the reason I have waited for FP, I don't want to be "that" person. At this stage, I am pretty sure I wouldn't be "too" much of a liability, but can obviously learn more which will improve my game. improving my game improves my teams game. win win !

#42 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

View PostA Headless Chicken, on 16 January 2018 - 09:21 PM, said:

words

Can we talk about how in awe I am of your forum signature?

#43 Xannatharr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 425 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

Ash, I just sent you a message. This is the type of positive stuff the community needs!

Xann

#44 RaptorCWS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

Bump, good initiative - I'm quite surprised for all the rage and anger about getting stomped by pre-mades that no one has actually replied wanting to sign up yet.

[Sarcasm] don't you see, if they learn how to play better and group up they become the people they hate and have no one else to blame but themselves when they lose.[/Sarcasm]

for real though if you are interested in getting better at Faction Warfare and you are not taking up this thread as an opportunity please spare us your thoughts on units.

#45 Elad

• PipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Bump, good initiative - I'm quite surprised for all the rage and anger about getting stomped by pre-mades that no one has actually replied wanting to sign up yet.

I'm interested in dropping with a team/private lobby training, but I'm new and still probably 2 weeks out from having 2 solid, fully equipped and skilled drop decks put together (Ash actually provided input on my Reddit thread asking for help on decks - so have that piece handled). Right now still need 2 light engines for my general drop deck, and 1- 2 new mechs for my ERLL deck. Would be interested if the offer is still available once I have my decks together.

#46 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Yep 4 weeks, np. Keep working on you mechs as you need them ready. That's where most games are lost TBH - mechlab and mech selection for a map.

#47 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

View PostElad, on 17 January 2018 - 01:38 PM, said:

I'm interested in dropping with a team/private lobby training, but I'm new and still probably 2 weeks out from having 2 solid, fully equipped and skilled drop decks put together (Ash actually provided input on my Reddit thread asking for help on decks - so have that piece handled). Right now still need 2 light engines for my general drop deck, and 1- 2 new mechs for my ERLL deck. Would be interested if the offer is still available once I have my decks together.

A proactive player who seeks outside sources of information and is willing to take constructive advice...this guy is gonna go far in this game.

#48 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

I mean, I did...was feeling a bit excited to be the first to have, too. Not that it means much.

Anyway, smurfy links were mentioned, so here's my current stable of mechs (*denotes currently not used in dropdecks):

INNER SPHERE (current contract)

Assault:
KGC-000B 4xUAC/5, 3xML
CP-11-P AC/20, MRM/30, 4xERSL, ECM
MAL-MX90 4xUAC/5 (alt: 4xLBX/10. Not sure which I prefer)
*ZEU-9S2 3xMRM/20, 2xERML

Heavy:
MAD-3R 3xAC/5, 3xML (alt: 3xUAC/2, 4xML)
WHM-7S 5xERLL (alt: 4xERLL. Swaps engines with the MAL for the alt builds)
*CTF-3L HGauss, 4xML
RFL-3N Gauss, 5xERML
RFL-5D 4xERLL
*RFL-3C 4xAC/2, 2xML

Medium:
*SHD-2H AC/20, 3xSRM/4 (Scouting mech)
*SHD-5M 2xUAC/5
SHD-2K 3xMPL, 3xASRM4
*HBK-GI Gauss, 3xERML
*CN9-A AC/10, 2xML, 3xLRM/5
*BJ-2 2xMRM/30

Light:
RVN-3L 2xERLL, ECM, Stealth
UM-K9 5xMPL
*UM-R60 RAC/5, 2xERSL (all three Urbies share an engine for now)
*UM-R68 2xMRM/10, 3xML
COM-2D 2xSRM/2, SRM/4, ECM, Stealth

Example decks I've used:
Siege defense(general): KGC-000B, MAD-3R, RFL-3N, UM-K9
Siege defense(long range):WHM-7S, RFL-5D, RVN-3L, KGC-000B
Siege attack: CP-11-P, MAL-MX90, COM-2D,RFL-3N
Hotter QP maps: MAD-3R, RFL-3N, MAL-MX90, UM-K9
Conquest: RVN-3L, CP-11-P, MAD-3R, SHD-2K
General: MAl-MX90(or CP-11-P), MAD-3R, RFL-3N, UM-K9

CLAN (will smurfy link these later, less important as I'm IS contract atm)

Assault
KDK-3 2xUAC/10, 2xUAC/5
EXE-C 4xERLL 2xERML
HGN-IIC-C 2xUAC/10, 2xLPL, 1xERML
MAD-IIC-D 2xGauss, 2xERLL, ECM

Heavy:
SMN-M 2xERPPC
HBR-F 2xHLL, 4xERML, ECM
*MDD-A 5xERML, 6xLRM/5 (alt: 6xSSRM6)

Medium:
HMN-PRIME 6xSRM6 (scouting mech)
HMN-A Gauss, ERPPC, 2xERML
HMN-B 3xUAC/2, 2xERML
SHC-PRIME 2xERLL, ECM

Light:
ACH-PRIME 2xHML, 6xMG
*KFX-PR 2xERSL, 3xATM/6
KFX-G 4xASRM/6
*KFX-D 2xLBX/2, 4xMicroPL

Current budget to make changes/buy new mechs is ~4.9M Cbills, ~3200MC, so I'm not working with much. All mechs mentioned are mastered, though, with the exceptions of the Mauler and MAD-IIC which are my newest and still in the process of being skilled up.

Again, appreciate the offer of help. Much more looking forward to the in-game tutelage, though, as while my decks are (clearly) imperfect, I feel my shortcoming is more in strategy. I've tried to pick up what I can from the (few and far between) experienced shot callers I've had the pleasure of pugging with, but my calls tend to end up working out too much less than 50% of the time for my liking.

I've been idling on NA Comstar TS lately, haven't gotten much traction there. Mostly just sitting in the public IS Invasion LFG channel.

Edited by Stealthrider, 17 January 2018 - 03:13 PM.

#49 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

very very generous offer where do I sign up

this is my Mech notice how the arms come off to easy

Posted Image

I also like to fight from the front

Posted Image

lol just joking around
this is my best FP Mech

Posted Image

#50 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostLeone, on 17 January 2018 - 09:05 AM, said:

Honestly Winnie, for most of us a new player willing to move with the group and try is better'n taking the Pug lotto and hoping we get a team player.

~Leone.

Truth.

View PostWinnie The Pew, on 17 January 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Hey ASH, if this offer is still open, I'd love to get in on it!

I stay out of FP as I am never "good enough" in my mind and do not accept the idea of my being a liability. I lurk in the forums for tips/tricks etc daily. Oh, if stats are a thing, I try new stuff all the time on this/main account. on alt, avg 2.0 +kdr.

TBH and with respect, the 'never good enough' is just in your head. EVERYONE is 'good enough' for CW if you can accept a few things.

1. Teamwork is key to victory.
2. Ask questions and accept feedback, old or new player alike.
3. Join a Group/Unit with TS for maximum enjoyment.

#51 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

PM me.

#52 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:44 PM

View PostStealthrider, on 17 January 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

I've been idling on NA Comstar TS lately, haven't gotten much traction there. Mostly just sitting in the public IS Invasion LFG channel.

Gah!

Scroll down and look for active channels. Even if Unit labeled, not a crime to pop into one, say 'Hi', and ask for a spot if they are doing Invasion.

#53 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:04 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 17 January 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

Gah!

Scroll down and look for active channels. Even if Unit labeled, not a crime to pop into one, say 'Hi', and ask for a spot if they are doing Invasion.

I think what Twiafu meant by "Gah!" was - you are welcome to come down to the A41 channels and say "Hi". Although we are not a "training unit", we would rather have a pilot willing to follow calls on TS than a random pilot who may not. We usually are dropping 12 noon - 4 pm Central US (although this is night time for most of the group in EU).

Please note: (1) we are an IS unit, so no clan mechs for FW, (2) if we are in an active drop, please don't be chatty (3) unit members and "friends" are going to get priority for FW drop slots (especially on Mon & Thurs)

PS. Looked at your IS builds. Our group "style" may require some tweaks to those builds. I am willing to help with this if I am on TS.

PPS. Definitely recommend for you to follow up with ASH if wanting to run clan mechs. The groups he runs with are top notch shooters. Clan units' tactics are going to be different than IS due to range and heat management.

Edited by bayoucowboy, 17 January 2018 - 04:13 PM.

#54 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:08 PM

Ash.
Why not twitch a daily stream or when ever you play? this would help alot of players all at once instead of a couple at a time (if you get some interested) people could watch it live or watch it later or multiple times.
I would certainly watch something useful especially being able to do it at my convenience, you know real life convenience, kids, wife, work, social commitments, for alot of us its not easy to commit to a certain time when time is so unmanageable..
Twitch or youtube are just such valuable tools to carry the message to the masses.

#55 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 17 January 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Ash.
Why not twitch a daily stream or when ever you play? this would help alot of players all at once instead of a couple at a time (if you get some interested) people could watch it live or watch it later or multiple times.
I would certainly watch something useful especially being able to do it at my convenience, you know real life convenience, kids, wife, work, social commitments, for alot of us its not easy to commit to a certain time when time is so unmanageable..
Twitch or youtube are just such valuable tools to carry the message to the masses.

Superb idea!

Show some mech building, Q&A, basics of CW and modes.

#56 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 17 January 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Ash.

Yeah I'm getting there. Thinking about streaming just my SoloQ stuff at the moment. Usually not many stream at the hours I play as well, so helpful for people in those timezones.

Usually the comms etc I am on there is a bit of sheet-talking/laughing/tomfoolery and so on. All of which among friends you are playing with is perfect fine as it's not public.

Other people / units / outsiders / viewers however would probably take offence to a bit of it and that is a problem as a lot of people in the MWO community cannot brush things that are said off (they just cry toxicity). Stuff like "WTF were those eediots thinking doing that, it was downright stupid move". That's just banter but I know for a fact some people can't handle it.

I'd have to mute the comms if I was streaming. Or record and then overlay with music and then upload. The first one isn't good and the second one is a bit of work (ie, less game time).

#57 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 17 January 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

Not that far from it... https://leaderboard....ustcallme+A+S+H

Good on you for taking the time to help people.

There are plenty further down that list (in raking) that are far better than me, make no mistake about that.

They are usually in GroupQ though, which leads to lower average match score. Look at Season 18. That was basically ALL GroupQ. Hence the drop in avg ms but a rise in WLR/Survival rate... Usually I just SoloQ and hence it's a lot higher match score / ranking as I'm generally performing leagues ahead of the majority 24 players in that match as MWO skill floor is that low.

So it's all about interpreting the stats in that regard. Yeah I'm good, better than average but I'm not Div A / MWOOC2017 finalist level good is what I mean.

#58 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:15 PM

Ash ultimate goal is to run a 12 man K9 urbie spamming mpls and sirens

#59 Zangief79

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

I'm also willing to train new players if Ash isn't around/unavailable. You can find me in the BCMC rooms in the Comstar teamspeak. I can do 1 on 1's or groups of 3-4 in a private lobby.

#60 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

View PostLeone, on 16 January 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

Solid offer. I would, however, suggest cross posting this in the new player help section. We tend to get the more 'experienced' players in this section, and I've always found more traction with my offers of assistance over there.

Yes and no... New players should not be in FP. That is my honest view of how things stand.

New players with half a dozen mechs will not be able to sufficiently learn enough about FP to really take on-board what I am going to go over. It took me months myself to get to a level where I had a grasp of FP myself. Lots of training and in-house lobbies against unit mates before I became competent.

Players need to have enough mechs for one side at least to start off (8 fully kitted, Skirmish and Long range). If you do, then IMO you are ready to get outta the kiddie pool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users