Qp Ace Of Spades! So Close!

20 replies to this topic

#1 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image

This is one of the best matches I've had in a long time! LOL
I was so very close to that ace of spades achievement! XD

#2 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:46 PM

Keep at it you will find it. I got mine in a cheeto with 6 spl. Found a lot of stragglers that I could take down one on one.

#3 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostClownwarlord, on 14 January 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

Keep at it you will find it. I got mine in a cheeto with 6 spl. Found a lot of stragglers that I could take down one on one.

I know but that many kills as a LRM boat with no ammo is damn impressive lol.

#4 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Nice game all around. Good solo, KMDD, and damage numbers, too. So close to that AOS! I'm sure if you keep at it, it'll come. My own best is six. I've heard it's easier to get when you drop with a group and help each other secure kills, but if I can't do it in solo, I don't want it.

#5 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

In QP it's a matter of circumstance over anything. You do have to do a number of things right to be 1) Not dead, 2) in a position where you're constantly shooting everything and 3) hitting the things you're shooting at, but both your team and the enemy team has to line everything up for you almost by accident. You generally need your team to deal and absorb a lot of damage but be unable to land killing blows, and the enemy team to act somewhat foolishly to deliver you a number of sequential targets that aren't strong enough to kill you.

It's a fairly rare event that everything comes together. I've done it twice that I can remember and neither occasion was it the result of trying to do it. Once was in a dakka King Crab on Mining where the enemy team pretty much ran into the firing line in single file, where I was on point and able to put shots on every mech as they popped up one and two at a time. The continuous fire with dakka was the only reason it worked out, dealing a lot of low-damage final hits and being able to switch targets quickly. The result was mostly due to the behavior of the enemy team, going YOLO into the teeth of the guns, without friendlies blocking my line of fire while also being positioned themselves to make any mech that popped up evaporate quickly without being able to do much damage.

The other occasion was a conquest match on Alpine in a Hellbringer where the enemy team was up by 5 mechs. I'd been in the one part of the map where we traded well and toward the end they scattered to decap and hunt down our few remaining mechs. Expecting an easy win they rushed in on my point one at a time trying to score that last kill, without realizing I wasn't badly damaged. If they'd all come together, or even in pairs I would've taken too much damage to survive. The fact it was Alpine meant the points were too far apart for them to converge easily. It also never would have worked if I didn't already secure 2-3 kills from being in the one place on the map where the team wasn't rolled flat.

If you want my suggestion, just keep on playing and putting yourself where you're useful. It may take a while but the right scenario will happen eventually. This thing is entirely right place, right time. You can only manage the first part, even if it's still not easy. Staying alive is step one there, however it's also staying alive while constantly moving to new positions if you're not landing hits. Move when you're getting shot up, move when you've got no line on the enemy. Landing hits and being in the fight through the whole game is the only way to get it done in QP.

#6 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

View PostFleeb the Mad, on 14 January 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

In QP it's a matter of circumstance over anything.

It sure is... although I think some mechs\playsyles are more suited to get these achievements...
For example if you want to get Ace of Spades it's intuitive to get a heavy or assault so you could dish out the final blow, but with a very fast medium you'll have a lot more mobility and less focus and therefore a much better chance to get involved in kill fights.
P.S I've earned my ace of spades with this fun little Centy (pre-tech update)

Edited by Black Fish, 15 January 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#7 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:58 AM

There has been a match in my career, where even I have been close to earning Ace of Spades. It was old Therma with ordinal rumble in a middle. I would have earned it, if last kill wouldn't have been stolen from me by some Light/Medium 'Mech.

#8 Black Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 15 January 2018 - 12:58 AM, said:

There has been a match in my career, where even I have been close to earning Ace of Spades. It was old Therma with ordinal rumble in a middle. I would have earned it, if last kill wouldn't have been stolen from me by some Light/Medium 'Mech.

the thieves.. the thieves! the filthy little thieves! THEY STOLE IT FROM USSSS

Edited by Black Fish, 15 January 2018 - 01:22 AM.

#9 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 14 January 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

I was so very close to that ace of spades achievement! XD

I found the most consistent way to get up to ~8 kills per match was with the BJ-1X. The combination of speed/maneuverability and all those ML made it a pretty consistent way to get the kill ticks. Have to play balls to the walls once the attacking starts though.

Might be worth trying out if you are chasing that achievement in solo QP.

#10 Stranger-Come-Knocking

Rookie

• The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

First ace of spades I earned in the ASN-21 back in May, was mining collective and they enemy just seemed to melt like butter.

Second ace of spades was an urbie on grim plexus, got a few kills but then it was me and a wolfhound left against open mechs. Without meaning too I basically stole all the rest of the kills.

Last ace of spades was in ANH-1X with HGR on Tourmaline. Early day group queue. Accidently flanked to wide and ended up at the back of the team when the enemy pushed piece meal into us. As they took down my team I just took them out one by one, and secured kills on the last 2 mechs hiding at the end.

#11 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

I only recently got my Ace of spades, shockingly enough, considering how long I've been playing. Combination of my ping (it's the lag I tells ya, THE LAAAAAG) and just not caring that much about kills (sure, right, no one will believe that) meant I just never got to the magical 8. I've gotten 7 with cheetahs and stuff couple of times though.

I ended up getting it in an Uziel IIRC. It makes sense I would looking at how I perform in it.

So maybe you just haven't found the right mech yet, as unlikely as that mech might be one day. Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

#12 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

Novakaine feels your pain brother.
Posted Image

#13 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:08 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 15 January 2018 - 05:44 PM, said:

Novakaine feels your pain brother.
Posted Image

You must have some excellent aim to do that in a HB. lol

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

Is that a 3 LPL + 3 ML build?

#15 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

View Postsycocys, on 15 January 2018 - 06:51 PM, said:

Is that a 3 LPL + 3 ML build?

My Madcat? Nah.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

I meant his HBK-4J, sorry I didn't clarify that one.

Guessing it was that or something like 3 LL + 3 erML maybe for that damage to kill steal ratio.

#17 Shinichi Yamamoto

• PipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:48 PM

View Postsycocys, on 15 January 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Guessing it was that or something like 3 LL + 3 erML maybe for that damage to kill steal ratio.

The J is the LRM variant with the CD quirks on the LRM10. And since it's Novakaine I am 100% sure those were indeed lurms :-P

#18 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

I once ran outta bounds once to avoid being a guys eighth kill.

It was on mining so it actually wasn't easy.

#19 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

View Postsycocys, on 15 January 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

Nope Five were LRM-10 kills, and the last two was medium lasers.
We were on Alpine peaks, our main force was on the downhill slope of Candy mountain.
And I was on the backside on the valley road between the to mountains.
No one noticed or even bothered to even shoot at me until match when the last two got pushed off.
A Centurion and a Raven by then the two wrecked and the Raven legged.
Easy laser shots.
This was the Pre-Potato era.Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 16 January 2018 - 06:53 PM.

#20 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Still quite surprising you got that many kill steals out of the lrm system with as spread of damage as even 10s will end up.

Nice luck and good work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users