Jump to content

Patcher End Of Life Post


104 replies to this topic

#41 IllCaesar

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

F

(I still use it so RIP me)

Edited by IllCaesar, 22 January 2018 - 04:44 PM.


#42 Mechammer555

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 22 January 2018 - 01:05 PM, said:

I still don't see the reason to have a portal for a single game. It's just so tediosly many klicks until I can finally „play“ the game, i.e. enter the mechlab for example.

And the start of MWO itself is another portal, where you enter your credentials. Why isn't an update-button just THERE:
Posted Image

View PostBlerome Jake, on 22 January 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

The portal takes so much longer to open compared to the old launcher (which was REALLY SLOW (by modern gaming standards) already).

Just a quality of life suggestion; If you are going to make it show all the updates before I enter the game then disable the popup when I enter the game or vice versa. Let me guess this change was for the steam users right? So us loyal people get ****** on both ends, we get the launchers popup updates then the same updates again when the game begins.


I have 2 shortcuts on my desktop. One goes directly to the MWOClient.exe. The only time I click the portal icon is when I know there is a patch to download...

#43 C337Skymaster

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:10 PM

Personal request: although I've been using the Portal for some time, now (ever since it was first introduced, in fact), one feature that I do greatly miss from the Patcher is the option to auto-patch as soon as it opens. Could we please make that an option, again? Manually selectable, of course, but still.

Thanks!

#44 Krist Smith

    Senior Engineer

  • Developer
  • Developer
  • 626 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:22 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 22 January 2018 - 05:10 PM, said:

Personal request: although I've been using the Portal for some time, now (ever since it was first introduced, in fact), one feature that I do greatly miss from the Patcher is the option to auto-patch as soon as it opens. Could we please make that an option, again? Manually selectable, of course, but still. Thanks!


I think I can do a "first pass" on that pretty easily. By that, I mean that the main release of the game will allow auto patching, but not PTS or Tournament (at least, not at first). The patch exe only allows one instance to be running at a time, so patching multiple builds at the same time would cause problems. I would need to do some work to allow multiple instances. An alternative is to queue the whole lot of them with a priority on the main game. I'll figure out what's best.

At any rate, it's definitely on the TODO: list.

#45 EOD Operator

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 88 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Speaking of security, any plans for 2 factor authentication?

#46 MrKvola

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Just a question, would there be any way we could get a way to turn off the carousel when we enter the game? I visit the web page regularly and thus have no use for the carousel, it just slows down the login (particularly important when the game client crashed and I want to rejoin a match in time) and is really annoying as such.

I was thinking a toggle in the settings menu, or something similar...

#47 Khalcruth

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 454 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit Rock City!

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

No thanks. The patcher works just fine, so I'll keep using it until the absolute last second I can. It isn't broke, so I'm not going to "fix" it.

#48 C337Skymaster

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

View PostMrKvola, on 22 January 2018 - 06:37 PM, said:

Just a question, would there be any way we could get a way to turn off the carousel when we enter the game? I visit the web page regularly and thus have no use for the carousel, it just slows down the login (particularly important when the game client crashed and I want to rejoin a match in time) and is really annoying as such.

I was thinking a toggle in the settings menu, or something similar...


Seconded!! Especially with regards to rejoining a game after a client crash! (Happens way too often)

View PostKrist Smith, on 22 January 2018 - 05:22 PM, said:


I think I can do a "first pass" on that pretty easily. By that, I mean that the main release of the game will allow auto patching, but not PTS or Tournament (at least, not at first). The patch exe only allows one instance to be running at a time, so patching multiple builds at the same time would cause problems. I would need to do some work to allow multiple instances. An alternative is to queue the whole lot of them with a priority on the main game. I'll figure out what's best.

At any rate, it's definitely on the TODO: list.


Beautiful! And thanks for the personal feedback. Posted Image One thing I was working with before the Portal was introduced was setting the patcher up to open automatically, so the game would be all patched and ready to play when I got home from work. Posted Image Never got it to work, but didn't get much chance to work on it.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 22 January 2018 - 08:44 PM.


#49 Samial

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Pretty ugly the new one though... Glad i use steam..

#50 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

View PostKrist Smith, on 22 January 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Well, this is a design decision (technical design, but design nonetheless) that was made early in development for the sake of security - we don't store your password to avoid the security concerns entirely. I'll mention it around the office, but if this is something you'd really like to see, you'd need to get Paul, Russ, or Alex on board with it.
That's what I get when I'm typing half asleep and forget the right terms to use.
What I really was thinking of is storing a more persistent authentication token (obviously tied to IP and machine) for several days after a successful login. Is that a possibility at all?

Fact: The current arrangement means we have to log back in every time we start the game. For someone who plays the game on a daily basis - sometimes launching it more than once a day - it gets very annoying very fast. Perhaps Russ could consider it from the perspective of player retention? Just saying.

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 January 2018 - 03:26 PM, said:

My credits to all of you at PGI for avoiding Auto-Storing of Password Information. Not to be callous to others, but storing that information is usually the weak point that so-called "black hats" use to steal a user's account forever. Frankly, I don't mind having to type it in every time for security purposes. It's a lot better than what I fear the alternative would be. Posted Image

It's not. In order to achieve that result, passwords do not actually have to be stored - instead you store an authentication token that expires with a set time and periodically refresh it.

By the point a hostile party had the degree of access to your system to do what you describe, they already had the opportunity to set up a keylogger and your password will be theirs the next time you type it. That, or they're physically in your house and about to employ some rubber hose cryptography:
Posted Image

Edited by Horseman, 22 January 2018 - 11:12 PM.


#51 PFC Carsten

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,142 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:29 PM

View PostMechammer555, on 22 January 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

I have 2 shortcuts on my desktop. One goes directly to the MWOClient.exe. The only time I click the portal icon is when I know there is a patch to download...

Yeah, that's what I'm doing too. I just hoped that maybe the Portal would turn into something useful at some point (apart from the PTS islanders). Announcing important gameplay changes for example ...
https://twitter.com/...612111278764032

Edited by PFC Carsten, 22 January 2018 - 11:32 PM.


#52 Steel Raven

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

The Portal has been working fine for me though my friends have been using Steam. I went with the Portal simply to avoid re-installing the game

#53 Dave76

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 552 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:11 AM

Team Steam!

#54 Lily from animove

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,716 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:17 AM

R.I.P patcher.

#55 Conner Ward

    Member

  • PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:19 AM

View PostHorseman, on 22 January 2018 - 11:09 PM, said:

That's what I get when I'm typing half asleep and forget the right terms to use.
What I really was thinking of is storing a more persistent authentication token (obviously tied to IP and machine) for several days after a successful login. Is that a possibility at all?

Fact: The current arrangement means we have to log back in every time we start the game. For someone who plays the game on a daily basis - sometimes launching it more than once a day - it gets very annoying very fast. Perhaps Russ could consider it from the perspective of player retention? Just saying.


It's not. In order to achieve that result, passwords do not actually have to be stored - instead you store an authentication token that expires with a set time and periodically refresh it.

By the point a hostile party had the degree of access to your system to do what you describe, they already had the opportunity to set up a keylogger and your password will be theirs the next time you type it. That, or they're physically in your house and about to employ some rubber hose cryptography:
Posted Image


I doubt that anyone cares enough to hack a gamer's PC just to steal a Netflix password, but I do care about all the launcher programs datamining my PC for targeted advertising though.

#56 AccessTime

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:22 AM

Alas, poor patcher, I knew him well.

Seriously though, I'll miss him about as much as I miss the old mech design interface.

#57 Tarl Cabot

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 5,555 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:16 AM

Another request, since you are taking them.

On the installation process, if a player changes from default installation location, once it has been changed have both the Portal and MWO show the final result of the actual installation folder:

Change input
H:\games\Piranha Games\

but show the full installation line on the listing below

H:\games\Piranha Games\MWO Portal
H:\games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

Right now when the folder is changed H:\games\Piranha Games\ there is no change in the listing, it also shows H:\games\Piranha Games\ and this may be where players may encounter an an issue thinking they need to input the ENTIRE directory including the final folder name, ie H:\games\Piranha Games\Portal and H:\games\Piranha Games\MWO but then both the Portal and MWO have appended as MWO Portal and Mechwarrior Online, respectively, thus currently the actual installation location is H:\games\Piranha Games\Portal\MWO Portal and H:\games\Piranha Games\MWO\Mechwarrior Online.

PS. And this is coming from a CS viewpoint, and not just for first time installers but for those who moved MWO to another folder or drive. The Portal installer will have to be used to create new reg lines then it will ask to install MWO. That next set needs to show the final directory, completely or Portal will want to DL the entire game because the final destination was actually not correct.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 23 January 2018 - 04:17 AM.


#58 Quicks

    Member

  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:45 AM

I just tried the new portal download, it wants me to install the game again! This is not going to happen. I guess if the old one stops working, I will also stop playing!

#59 Horseman

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

View PostQuicks, on 23 January 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

I just tried the new portal download, it wants me to install the game again! This is not going to happen. I guess if the old one stops working, I will also stop playing!

Double-check if the new portal is trying to install the game in the same location as the old one installed it to.

#60 Righter8

    Member

  • PipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostQuicks, on 23 January 2018 - 07:45 AM, said:

I just tried the new portal download, it wants me to install the game again! This is not going to happen. I guess if the old one stops working, I will also stop playing!


How lazy do you need to be that you'd quit rather than have to uninstall then reinstall a game? Are you on dial-up? I could understand if you really didn't like the game (in which case why play or even bother to post?). If you really want to play, start the download/reinstall before going to bed or out for the day and let it update.
I'd love to see options for the login process to be streamlined, as everyone appears to, but a one time inconvenience of re-installation shouldn't be an excuse for abandonment.

Edited by Righter8, 23 January 2018 - 08:45 AM.






2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users