Why Dont Some Mechs Have 11 Crit Slots In The Arms?

33 replies to this topic

#21 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 22 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not didn't, couldn't. It's the same reason we got the -9SS: PGI has so little ability to modify their code that building crit-splitting into construction is beyond their capacity. The MWO engine at this point is literally lostech, while the MW5 one will naturally be better documented. And just wait if we time jump further. There's even more waiting.to be broken beyond MWO's capacity to adapt, getting to the point where ever larger parts of TT will be untranslated until and unless they update engines entirely.
did one of the programmers die or get fired or what? d

#22 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Yep. Like the -9SS, PGI tends to replace LB-20X in the arm with UAC/20s.

did one of the programmers die or get fired or what?

No more tech support for their heavily modified CryEngine, apparently. PGI's mostly limited to copy-pasting and tweaking existing code for new stuff, like ATMs being directly cribbed from IS LRM code, right down to originally having a 180m deadzone rather than 120m.

I'd be surprised if they even have decent documentation on their own engine at this point.

Edited by Brain Cancer, 22 January 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#23 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

View PostBrain Cancer, on 22 January 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Not didn't, couldn't. It's the same reason we got the -9SS: PGI has so little ability to modify their code that building crit-splitting into construction is beyond their capacity. The MWO engine at this point is literally lostech, while the MW5 one will naturally be better documented. And just wait if we time jump further. There's even more waiting.to be broken beyond MWO's capacity to adapt, getting to the point where ever larger parts of TT will be untranslated until and unless they update engines entirely.

Well neither of us can prove or disprove your statement, so no matter the reason we're not getting HGR KCrabs.

#24 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 22 January 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

did one of the programmers die or get fired or what? d

That is a question that a lot of us have been asking for years...

I remember when they adjusted the RoF of isAC/2's and broke the LAA and UAA of Clan Omni mechs in the process....

From my understanding, they are using an ancient outdated version of CryEngine, that they had to kludge together to make it do somethings it was never meant to do in the first place, they also didn't have the support of CryTeck after a while, so makes it hard to force an engine to do something it's not meant to do, when you don't have the support of the company that developed said engine...

Now if you don't understand what I mean, look at Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromda as examples of games taking an engine (Frostbit;, great for FPS, shite for RPG) that wasn't intended to do what was being asked of it, and the games suffered because of it.

#25 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 January 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

That is a question that a lot of us have been asking for years...

I remember when they adjusted the RoF of isAC/2's and broke the LAA and UAA of Clan Omni mechs in the process....

From my understanding, they are using an ancient outdated version of CryEngine, that they had to kludge together to make it do somethings it was never meant to do in the first place, they also didn't have the support of CryTeck after a while, so makes it hard to force an engine to do something it's not meant to do, when you don't have the support of the company that developed said engine...

Now if you don't understand what I mean, look at Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromda as examples of games taking an engine (Frostbit;, great for FPS, shite for RPG) that wasn't intended to do what was being asked of it, and the games suffered because of it.
So whats to stop me from asking my friends at crytech for an updated engine? Would there be alot of reprogramming that has to go into it or could you simply copypasta values , plug in and go?

#26 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 January 2018 - 03:24 PM, said:

Totaly offtopic, but DA Inquisition suffered from bad design as it was basically korean MMORPG disguised as singleplayer RPG. And Andromeda was released like a year before it should have.

#27 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 22 January 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

So whats to stop me from asking my friends at crytech for an updated engine? Would there be alot of reprogramming that has to go into it or could you simply copypasta values , plug in and go?

For starters, CryTek went out of business. But on top of that, a new engine from CryTek would still need to be kludge to do things like server side authority for the NetCode, something that is not native to the CryEngine, as well as a few other things. Then comes the code re-writes for MWO, meaning PGI would have to dump a lot of cash and resources that they do not have into building MWO up again, in an engine they are not comfortable in. That would mean little to no content for us for about a year.... what I think is more likely to happen, is once MW5 comes out, about a year later we will see MWO2 on the Unreal engine they are using for MW5. As that engine apparently needs little to no kludging to do what they want.

#28 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 January 2018 - 03:39 PM, said:

For starters, CryTek went out of business. But on top of that, a new engine from CryTek would still need to be kludge to do things like server side authority for the NetCode, something that is not native to the CryEngine, as well as a few other things. Then comes the code re-writes for MWO, meaning PGI would have to dump a lot of cash and resources that they do not have into building MWO up again, in an engine they are not comfortable in. That would mean little to no content for us for about a year.... what I think is more likely to happen, is once MW5 comes out, about a year later we will see MWO2 on the Unreal engine they are using for MW5. As that engine apparently needs little to no kludging to do what they want.
Man it would suck to lose all my mechs and weaps and points and stats if MWO got shutdown for a second version.

#29 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 January 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

Okay, I feel kind of bad for dumbing this down so much Deck, I mean you are usually really quick on the up-take...

All PGI custom variants of lore mechs have P at the end of their designation. So he is talking about taking the L1, and having PGI change the load-out to make it a viable addition to MWO by changing the LB-20X for a UAC/20, doing so would be a PGI variant, thus needing to end with P.

Ah, ok lol.

But the variant itself without the hypethetical free 11 crit slots on the RA is not that special, so that has to be the reason if PGI ever wants to introduce it.

#30 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostNovember11th, on 22 January 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

Man it would suck to lose all my mechs and weaps and points and stats if MWO got shutdown for a second version.

I think we'd see some kind of transfer, lest they lose the entire pod of whales.

#31 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 22 January 2018 - 03:15 PM, said:

All PGI custom variants of lore mechs have P at the end of their designation. So he is talking about taking the L1, and having PGI change the load-out to make it a viable addition to MWO by changing the LB-20X for a UAC/20, doing so would be a PGI variant, thus needing to end with P.

That's not true. The pattern seems to be...

IS Battlemechs (PGI): -P
Clan Battlemechs (PGI): Letters
Clan Omnimechs (PGI): Numbers

#32 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostBombast, on 23 January 2018 - 09:55 AM, said:

That's not true. The pattern seems to be...

IS Battlemechs (PGI): -P
Clan Battlemechs (PGI): Letters
Clan Omnimechs (PGI): Numbers

While true, but there is a hole in that though, the Shadowcat P....So it's not always a number used for Clan Omni's.

View PostHit the Deck, on 22 January 2018 - 09:50 PM, said:

Ah, ok lol.

But the variant itself without the hypethetical free 11 crit slots on the RA is not that special, so that has to be the reason if PGI ever wants to introduce it.

True, the L1 was just a beat stick in TT for the LB-20, ERLL and LFE...tough as nails to bring down for a Bushwacker, and just mean at under 9 hexes....

-shrug- Then again I'm in the camp that things the isLB-20X should be 8 or 9 crits, with my preference being for 8, so that it could be mounted in the arm of mechs like the Battlemaster, or any other that has LAA and or Hand, something no other class 20 AC can do for the IS. My reasoning for this is due to how LB's work in MWO, that spread patter in atrocious and they lack two abilities in MWO that they were balanced around in TT, crit splitting and dual ammo types.

I mean as it stands Clans can already arm mount LB-20's, granted theirs is 9 crits, so you could do it with both UAA and LAA... I'm also on board with the HGR being 9 crits, but needing a new hard point type to force it to ST only mounts....

Edited by Metus regem, 23 January 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#33 InvictusLee

• The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 23 January 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

I think we'd see some kind of transfer, lest they lose the entire pod of whales.
no kidding. My self included. Might as well start playing warframe instead, which is kinda actually fun...

#34 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 22 January 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

Looks like a Hulkbuster.

@AlexMorgaine
The BSW-L1 has LB-X 20 on the right arm.

I know. the L1P would have a UAC20 instead.

Oh, and Kaiju could do a single HGR with ppcs :3

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users