(Post Your) Best Lrm Boats

69 replies to this topic

#1 SigmaLurmerGrindset

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:52 AM

I just wanted to create this thread since I've just found what I consider the LRM boat that fits my playstyle best and that gets the most things done in matches given I live up to its potential and stay alive until all its ammo is gone. With that said, I don't have the gall to say it's the best LRM boat (it definetly isn't, I'm a scrub afterall) so I'd like to start a thread about LRM boats, asking you guys what aspects make the best LRM boat and your mech of choice for said unit.I guess I have to start first with mine:

The Mech I picked to be my LRM vomiter of choice is the Trebuchet 7M for the following reasons
  • It starts with a nice XL engine 250 making it go around reasonably fast (around 92 km/h with speed tweaks)
  • It gets jumpjets
  • It can house all LRMs in the side torso sections, allowing the arms to be completely stripped should no equipment be installed there
  • It gets an overall 15% missile cooldown quirk, plus an additional 5% LRM 15 cooldown quirk
  • It gets a missile speed boost
  • It can basically fire non-stop in most scenarios, even fire over a dozen of salvos non-stop in the hottest maps before having to stop vomiting missiles
  • It can fit 11 tons of ammo, quite needed considering the fire rate as far as I'm concerned

And here's the build

TBT-7M

I like it because of its mobility, its ammo capacity allowing for crazy damage given you know where to position and stay alive and its relentless DPS which can soften up even the toughtest mech given there's no AMS orgy around it, but then again this thing has enough ammo to keep firing and come out with a good trade even if almost all missiles are shot down by AMS.

Aaaaand that's all I remembered to say. What is your LRM build of choice (if any)? How would you improve mine? I kind of wish I had the space for at least a TAG laser but I find myself running out of ammo in this thing so often I don't dare sacrificing a ton for it. The standard build has a NARC but that's even heavier; and only one LRM 15 feels like it's not enough to go thru even just one AMS.

Edited by ARCAGNELLO, 23 January 2018 - 02:54 AM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:32 AM

Best thing you can do with an LRM Chassis:
Stalker
KTO

Edited by The Basilisk, 23 January 2018 - 03:47 AM.

#3 SigmaLurmerGrindset

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:41 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 23 January 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Best thing you can do with an LRM Chassis:
Stalker

I see what you did there :)

Then again, making an LRM boat out of a 60ton + mech feels like a waste, even to me.

I think that the best LRMs are mechs fast enough to always be close to their team, never get left behind and farmed, and also have enough agility and the least amount of "presence" to get line of sight of what they fire at whenever possible without getting shot at.

#4 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:16 AM

MDD-H AMT12 LRM20, C-BAP, 7 Ton. ATM Mun, 6 1/2 Ton LURM Mun. Posted Image

#5 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:07 AM

My favorite LRM Boat pre-T2 play. Once I made it into T2, it all went to crap, but its still fun to mess with from time to time.

BLR-S1
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c237bed617683d5

Can run hot if you alpha too much. Fit armor to taste, CASE if you insist, XL might get you a few more tons for DHS or ammo but wouldn't suggest it. Did my grind with an XL and it was frustrating, but still successful. LFE worked out fine after tech update, just less ammo.

#6 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:12 AM

No active probe, TAG, etc.? I like being able to guarantee my own locks, and the AP prevents being shut down by a nearby ECM mech.

I have had a lot of trouble getting my Archer-5W to work. Currently, it's 1 narc, 4 LRM5s, 2 SSRM6, 2 SSRM4.
I ran a Mad Dog LRM build for a long time, but recently switched it to a hybrid LRM/ATM build for better damage.

#7 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

View PostMcHoshi, on 23 January 2018 - 05:16 AM, said:

MDD-H AMT12 LRM20, C-BAP, 7 Ton. ATM Mun, 6 1/2 Ton LURM Mun. Posted Image

Isn't that a bit much ammo?
You need to constantly fire for more than 5 minutes to run through that, while most matches don't even have such a long effective combat-duration.

For reference i run 6-7t on dual ATM-12 mechs and it feels just about right. For a single LRM-20 i would only run 3-4t.

Or do you use this in FP? Then things are differently of cause.

Edited by Daggett, 23 January 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#8 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

AWS-8R:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...26aa946ffb8de66 https://kitlaan.gitl...7a118#s=Weapons

(I've since rearranged things to 2xLRM-15+A in RT and 1xLRM-15+A in LR using my left side to shield more )

Just brutal LRM vomit. Play with your arms unlocked so that you can TAG and lock targets outside of your torso range. Try to limit yourself only to targets you've locked with your TAG and you'll be much more effective.

Catapult C1:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b249eda16c40caf https://tarogato-mwo...4a-eb981568bc6f

I have a feeling this is more or less what you've been trying to do with your Trebuchet. Swapping one ML for a TAG is an option.

View PostARCAGNELLO, on 23 January 2018 - 02:52 AM, said:

How would you improve mine? I kind of wish I had the space for at least a TAG laser but I find myself running out of ammo in this thing so often I don't dare sacrificing a ton for it. The standard build has a NARC but that's even heavier; and only one LRM 15 feels like it's not enough to go thru even just one AMS.
1. You haven't posted your skill tree - remember to max out missile rack, high explosive and target decay.

2. You're missing both TAG and BAP, which means your LRMs are much less effective and you can be effectively shut down by an enemy ECM mech that just happens to walk nearby.

3. No secondary weapons = you will get rushed and clubbed to death.

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Depends on my mood, and what I'm really trying to do...

If screwing around, being a jerk:

MDD-A

Set to chain fire and rain all day. Till the bins run dry...

In another mood, I don't run LRM's 'cept for in one off missile hard points to give me something to do as I close a gap.

#10 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

Mixboat Catapult-C4:

2x LRM15
2x SSRM6
1x TAG
1x ML

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56d170eb3302bbb

Spoiler

No Artemis because I feel that they're less effective when using direct fire and holding a TAG spot. I'd rather have the extra ammo. Has more than enough firepower to defend itself against any light mech. Can help batter any medium mechs that close the range as well. Max out missile racks in the skill tree. Boost cooldown as well when you can. Take the heat management skills in that tree as well, obviously.

The LRMboat Hunchback-4J:

2x LRM10
4x ML
1x TAG

Higher rate of fire than the Catapult-C4, faster, better punch for when the ammo runs dry, easier to spot around cover without taking as much damage with that TAG and RT launcher as opposed to the easy-to-hit ears that the Catapult has. Not as good as scaring off lights but you can use its better speed and better heat efficiency to get those medium lasers involved for direct hits to exposed structure points.

I don't use any other LRMboats. Anything else I have with the hardpoints for boating LRMs it is either inferior to one of these two or just plain bad at it.

Edited by IllCaesar, 23 January 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:06 PM

MDD

Was my fav when enhanced narc and target decay mods were still around. Havn't took it for a spin lately, tho.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 23 January 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

MDD

Was my fav when enhanced narc and target decay mods were still around. Havn't took it for a spin lately, tho.

Considering how Arteimis does the same job as TAG, might as well ditch the Artemis and keep the TAG for more ammo / heat sinks

#13 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

View PostHorseman, on 23 January 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

3. No secondary weapons = you will get rushed and clubbed to death.

I disagree.
For exemple here is my Awesome (pre-civil war build, but you get the point). I use my positionning in order to stay alive, I'm never rushed because my team is here with me.

Also, as a light pilot, 2 medium lasers, even 4, never stopped me from taking an LRM-boat 1v1 if they wander far from team protection.

#14 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I don't really boat LRMs, but I have a couple of LRM focused builds.

CPLT-C1

STK-3H

Anything else I run that carries LRMs sports a single launcher and a ton or two of ammo.

#15 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostShotgunWillie, on 23 January 2018 - 05:00 PM, said:

I don't really boat LRMs, but I have a couple of LRM focused builds.

CPLT-C1

STK-3H

Anything else I run that carries LRMs sports a single launcher and a ton or two of ammo.

I just want to point out while the builds are decent, your armor values for vitals like the CT and ST's are not maxed out.

Also i wouldnt bother bringing a single lrm launcher. Its all or nothing.

#16 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostWindscape, on 23 January 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

Also i wouldnt bother bringing a single lrm launcher. Its all or nothing.

I disagree. Depending on the build a LRM10+ can make a real difference. Works well with slower mechs to help out lights and mediums early in the match and sometimes later in the match once the bulk of the fighting had already occurred. Helps the bigger mechs try to leg the smaller guys that run away on cluttered maps in those late game scenarios, particularly those conquest matches where you're up on kills but down on points. I wouldn't recommend it for most builds but they can have their place.

LRM5's are a garbage weapon though. The enemy AMS will destroy the whole pack of them. On the bright side, enemy AMS will destroy the whole pack of them, meaning that if you're not sure where the enemy is you can fire off a LRM5 at a random direction and see if they got shot down to find enemies setting up ambushes behind cover. Most folks, save those at the highest tiers, don't really ever toggle their AMS on or off, even if its LAMS, so its a fairly reliable strategy. Of course, it also uses a lot of weight.

#17 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

I have many LRM mechs I enjoy. None of them are LRM "boats".

My favorite LRM build and probably best performing one is my Huntsmen Prime. Two LRM15s backed by quad ERMLs. Use the jump to get locks, shoot the lasers while in the air, and then "give a parting gift" of LRMs as you fall behind cover (as typically I have a solid lock by then). Very flexible in it's combat capabilities, with lots of varied roles it can do.

I have similar builds on my Stormcrow, Maddog and even a Linebacker. But none of them perform with those weapons as well as my Huntsmen Prime does. (Arctic Wolf can do the job fairly well as well.)

#18 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

I am not sure it can consider an LRM boat since it only uses 30 tubes, but I can't get enough my Stalker-3FB. It is really the only mech I like using LRMs with. Truth be told I am not an LRM fan, but the irony is I love them on this variant!

I run it with 5xERML, 1xTAG, and 2xALRM15.
I put a LXL 300 engine it, which gives it enough speed to maneuver around and makes it pretty tanky as well.
Here is the link to my BUILD.

I filled out the skill tree using just weapon, survival, and sensor nodes.
Here is a link to how I SKILLED the chassis.
I thought about grabbing every sensor node, but think just getting both seismics and both enhanced ecms works perfectly well enough.
It frees me up to invest more heavily in survival.
For weapons I maxed out range, but I have to be honest I can probably use some of those points somewhere else. I rarely fire missiles at over 900 meters so some of those seem like a waste.
My LRM strategy is use them within 600M so I can make use of the ERMLs. Also LRMs are much more effective for me between 200-600M.
I also maxed out my laser duration, missle racks, and high explosive nodes in the tree.

I made it very heat efficient so I didn't take every heat gen node, but did try to get most of the cool down nodes.
Because it is so heat efficient if you find there is not enough ammo you can always swap out 2 DHS for 2 extra tons. But with the extra ammo skills and a 1260 missile base I find it to have plenty.
Additionally reworking the skill tree to get the heat gen nodes is also another way to reduce the DHS and change the build.

I just like having the armor nodes, but I can't be certain they are worth it.

All in all this mech deals out tons of damage, gets lots of kills, soaks a ton of damage, and usually grinds a lot of XP and CBills for me quickly.

It is my goto mech for any events as well.

#19 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:44 PM

I have a 4 ALRM 15 Mauler MAL1R® with 4 HMGs, beagle, TC1, and a light 300. I feel dirty but I lurm from 300-400 meters and line of sight so I share armor.

My favorite Lurm Boat is my Adder LurmTurtle! 4 LRM 10s and an ERML. You're small and fast so you can gain the best possible positions! No need to NARC or TAG because if you aren't shooting at friend's targets from 300 meters you just move.

Edited by Zookeeper Dan, 13 February 2018 - 07:36 AM.

#20 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:19 AM

The most important thing above all else is missile cooldown quirks, since a proper Lurm boat shouldn't be taking hits. The Awesome is pretty decent, the TBT-7M that OP mentioned is quite good, etc. Just pick your favorite ugly duckling that got top tier cooldown quirks 'cause the chassis is otherwise terrible and begin the spam.

If you're a deviant individual and aren't going to abuse cooldown quirks (like a proper lurmer) then perhaps the Cyclops. 7 missile hardpoints plus sensor boosts - slap on a command console and a BAP and you're going to be getting locks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users