69 replies to this topic

#21 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

The most filthy LRM mech is a Hunchback IIC with 4xLRM15s and a couple of SLs for backup. Filth I tell you.

Edited by Broganos, 16 February 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#22 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

Locust 3S with 2 LRM5s and an ERML. fear the LRM Dingy (cause it's too small to be a boat)

#23 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

My best lurm boat is a timber wolf prime . 2 LRM 20 Artemis , 5 Er medium lasers and 2 Mach guns . Fully skilled up damage and armour tree .

On a good day I can dish out 1000 plus damage .

#24 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 12 February 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

The most important thing above all else is missile cooldown quirks, since a proper Lurm boat shouldn't be taking hits. The Awesome is pretty decent, the TBT-7M that OP mentioned is quite good, etc. Just pick your favorite ugly duckling that got top tier cooldown quirks 'cause the chassis is otherwise terrible and begin the spam.

If you're a deviant individual and aren't going to abuse cooldown quirks (like a proper lurmer) then perhaps the Cyclops. 7 missile hardpoints plus sensor boosts - slap on a command console and a BAP and you're going to be getting locks.

Seriously?
Putting massive Lrms on an assault is an insult to your team. So much wasted armor tonnage that is badly needed on the front line and instead hides in the back and spread a lot of weak damage. You can get a medium or waste a heavy to do that if you really feel you have to. Share armor at the front and I will be your best buddy.

Lrms are good, just not when they replace all your direct weapons and fired from waaay in the back where your armor is wasted.

#25 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

I take the first and best lrm boat. CPLT-C1 Taggert. Invest in max sensors (minus the ecm obviously) and fire power and it becomes a beast. 1035m lrm range and a tag out to 600-700m with 3ml back ups. Taggert's build for survival able to take more hits than an xl engine build.

Switch out to an xl for more speed and ammo. CPLT-C1 MkII. When you get tired of the lrm just go to the other missile types or go laser heavy. Tank like a boss with torso twisting as the missile boxes are 40 tons shields in a hurry. The smaller size from rescale means it isn't as big or easily hit as an awes.

Play smart staying close to your team so you can hit lrm targets faster as the closer you are to target the less time they have to get to cover and the less chance you'll find a light up your butt.

Edit: I could do a whole write up on lrms but to do it properly would take me an entire weekend. I've got a ton of xp as a lrm pilot and with the catapults in general with mixed builds since closed beta days. Read up in the player guides for a good start on lrm-ing. Really need to update my sig picture.

Edited by JediPanther, 21 February 2018 - 11:27 AM.

#26 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:40 AM

Not every LRM assault wants to roleplay a REMF (something to note: spread is a function of distance, the closer you are the more concentrated your damage). I'm bringing my AWS as close to minimum range as I dare, and often end matches with half the mech hanging in tatters.

View PostJediPanther, on 21 February 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

I take the first and best lrm boat. CPLT-C1 Taggert. Invest in max sensors (minus the ecm obviously) and fire power and it becomes a beast. 1035m lrm range and a tag out to 600-700m with 3ml back ups. Taggert's build for survival able to take more hits than an xl engine build.

Switch out to an xl for more speed and ammo. CPLT-C1 MkII. When you get tired of the lrm just go to the other missile types or go laser heavy. Tank like a boss with torso twisting as the missile boxes are 40 tons shields in a hurry. The smaller size from rescale means it isn't as big or easily hit as an awes.

No Artemis but a TAG... you're trying to play this as indirect fire, then TAG is wasted. You're trying to play this as direct fire, you need Artemis. And SHS? Ew.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...0898fb6ed0d685a
https://kitlaan.gitl...a4dca#s=Weapons

Edited by Horseman, 21 February 2018 - 12:02 PM.

#27 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

I've never actually built an LRM boat, but something like https://mwo.smurfy-n...f36265bd5a87f17 would be fun I think. 400-500 meter direct fire support mech.

#28 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

One thing to remember. on the IS side the LL or ERLL complement the LRMs. Then even on the clan side I do have quite a bit of LRM mechs with LRM 15's and ERLL's or LPL's. At the range I normally fire LRMs (under 400) ERML's and ML's work just fine, but can over heat a mech sometimes.

Lets see, for lights

Locust 2 lrm 5's one erml. I think I run it with a 170 xl but a 140 xl can also work

Adder, 2 LRM 15's, 2 erml, tag, cap

Jenner Oxide 4 LRM 5's, bap and a 225 xl. sure it is slow but use it in a group Have 720 LRMs in it and try to get over 720 damage. It trains you to LRM better. ( I have exceeded 720 a few times with arty strikes).

Mediums.
One of the wolverines has a 20 missile cool down (the loyalty one) and the hero is also good to stick two LRM 15's.

The Griffins well are good, have one LRM 15 and 3 LRM 5's with BAP, TAG maybe one JJ (3M and 2N) The others will work, but the 1n is very good with two Artemis LRM 10's and a streak in the head.

Treb, two LRM 15's, 2 ML's, TAG BAP and one JJ. I think I run 7 tons of ammo.

Hunch, 4j, LRM 10's, and that is about it and 3 ml's and TAG

Shadow hawks can work but like the griffin, use sides more with two LRM 15's unless you can get 3 LRM 5's in to it. Then the 2K works with 3 LRM 10's.

Kintaro's, LRM 5's, LRM 10's are good places to start.

Huntsman. Hard to beat with CAP, LRM 15's 2 or 3 ERML's, TAG

Heavies,
Jaggermech A is hard to beat with 2 LRM 5's, 2 LRM 15's, 2 MG's, ERML, TAG, BAP and I think I vary from 8 to 10 tons of ammo depending on how many heat sinks I want.

the Catapults, well the C1 is hard to beat other than people targeting the ears at 1200 m with ERLL's and blowing them off.

Maddogs. Use the H right and left with Artemis LRM 20's with two erml's, CAP, TAG and 8 to 10 tons of ammo. Sure you can run 4 ERSLs but I like the range. or if you feel like it 2 heavy med lasers. Then the 6 LRM 5's with the A torso's.
This is a very dangerous mech especially when run in the front of a death ball. (I have a problem when running LRM boats, I like to be out front.)

Then the archer 2R with 3 LRM 15's is good or just two A LRM 20's. The orions are not bad and the IV-four quickdraw.

I could go on about other clan heavies, but remember 4 LRM 10s can be very dangerous or 3 LRM 15's

Assaults.
Stalkers (that can take an entire page for LRM)

BAttlemasters 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10s oor 2 A LRM 15's and 2 A LRM 5's.

Zues 6T and 5s with three LRM 15's, but the 6t is better.

Cyclopos Q is best with 5 or 6 LRM 10's.

King crab -0000 with 4 LRM 15's, but watch out for the speed

Awesomes, with 2, 3 or 4 missile points. the 8T with two LRM 15's and two LL's works just fine.

Atlas, really (do 4 LRM 10's in the S variant)

Clan assaults, well there are always ATM's. but the warhawks and one of the madcat II's or the scorch are about all I have really put lrms on.

#29 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 21 February 2018 - 12:31 PM, said:

I've never actually built an LRM boat, but something like https://mwo.smurfy-n...f36265bd5a87f17 would be fun I think. 400-500 meter direct fire support mech.
You're missing a BAP - the sensor range helps against enemy ECM, and BAP's anti-ECM function protects you from being losing target locks when hugged by an enemy ECM mech.
If you want 2x LRM15 on a Bushwacker, the P2 has advantage of arm energy hardpoints (which are great for TAG). What you get is basically Catapult lite

Edited by Horseman, 21 February 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#30 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

View PostHorseman, on 21 February 2018 - 11:40 AM, said:

Not every LRM assault wants to roleplay a REMF (something to note: spread is a function of distance, the closer you are the more concentrated your damage). I'm bringing my AWS as close to minimum range as I dare, and often end matches with half the mech hanging in tatters.

No Artemis but a TAG... you're trying to play this as indirect fire, then TAG is wasted. You're trying to play this as direct fire, you need Artemis. And SHS? Ew.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...0898fb6ed0d685a
https://kitlaan.gitl...a4dca#s=Weapons

My methods of lrm-ing work fine for me. I am rarely far from any friendly mech so artemis is not needed as I tend to be closer than most lrm pilots. I've got years of experience playing as a lrm boater hence all that 400,000-600,000 xp on nearly all the catapults.

I don't dictate how-you-must-build your lrm boat. I only give you a few options and let you learn how to do it yourself using whatever methods work for you. On extremely rare cases when I have the free time I do use private lobby to teach people how to lrm and counter lrm. There are tons of different set ups and ways to use lrm with varying results. One can not learn to swim just by being thrown into a pool of water with no instruction or aid.

There are a lot of tutorials and guides here and on youtube or you can just play the game idk eventually you'll learn how to best use lrms.

#31 StrongMouse

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

I'm not going to get into the whole "LRMs Suck"; debate. All I'm going to say is: If used properly they work well, when not then yeah, they can suck for the team. I think that it all boils down to if you are going use them in the team's plans or not.

If the group drop leader balks then you should rethink your mech choice. As we all know, MWO is a team focused game and and should be played to your teams strengths. If LRMs are not in the group drop leaders plans then you need to get with the team.

As far as using them in quick play drops, you're on your own there. All I'm gong to say is that you should be a help to the team not dead weight hiding in the back (you know who you are...).

~~~

I have found a couple of LRM builds that work well in quick play and in 4 to 8 man group drops, as long as the group drop leader is willing to utilize LRMs (it's team game remember...?).

These two builds have been effective for me in indirect fire (500 meters+) and direct fire (200 - 500 meters) roles. The key being the speed and maneuverability of the two chassis'.

The first being a SCR-D

This builds allows a top speed of 105 kpH with speed nodes. This allows the mech to reposition quickly and keep the enemy off balance if they are trying to locate you. The higher rate of fire of the LRM10s allows you to fire a few volleys and move, or allows you to stay on the move with the team and fire directly and share armor with the rest of the mediums and heavies. This build also has a head mounted ER Medium laser for extra dps or close defense. This can be swapped for a TAG but leaves you with no other weapons. If you are staying with the team and trying to move and fire directly, then IMHO this makes the TAG nice but optional since the its difficult to maintain locks on the run. You will have to decide what is most useful for your play style. This build can run hot, so watch your heat after several volleys. I typically run with the LRMs in two fire groups, both set to chain fire. This way you can fire the groups simultaneously in a 2 by 2 fashion for no ghost heat or fire only one group in a chain when you get hot.

This build can be done with any SCR variant, by swapping Omnipods, as long as you use the Prime Head omnipod to get the energy hard point. I used the SCR-Prime(S). This was the free mech given away in 2017(?) just so I get the +30% c-bill boost. I already bought a Prime variant a while back, so I figured "It was free, so why not"

The second is a MDD-RV

This build is a little slower, but has a bit more armor. It also has 2 ER Medium lasers for extra dps, close defense or just to be an annoying zombie if you lose your side torsos/LRMs. Otherwise it plays similarly as the SCR-D noted above. Though you need to plan a little further ahead on your moves because of the slightly lower speed.

IMHO this build is best done with the Revenant variant, since you don't need to change any Omnipods and get to keep the variants quirks. The quirks are nice for this build, (+10% acceleration and deceleration, +15% turn rate, +10 points of side torso armor and +10% missile velocity). The velocity quirk is nice for when you're firing directly at nearby moving targets.

Otherwise this build can be done with other variants by swapping Omnipods but you may need to mount the lasers in the arm(s).

I set up the fire groups the same as the SCR-D noted above.

Edited by StrongMouse, 28 May 2018 - 02:33 PM.

#32 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:29 PM

View PostStrongMouse, on 28 May 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

I'm not going to get into the whole "LRMs Suck"; debate. All I'm going to say is: If used properly they work well, when not then yeah, they can suck for the team. I think that it all boils down to if you are going use them in the team's plans or not.

If the group drop leader balks then you should rethink your mech choice. As we all know, MWO is a team focused game and and should be played to your teams strengths. If LRMs are not in the group drop leaders plans then you need to get with the team.

As far as using them in quick play drops, you're on your own there. All I'm gong to say is that you should be a help to the team not dead weight hiding in the back (you know who you are...).

~~~

(Build stuff)

Oh, I agree with you on this.

Oh, and your build links are... kinda missing at the moment. I click and nothing happens. Posted Image

#33 StrongMouse

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

The links are working now
Thank you for the feedback.

#34 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

This just happens to be my most effective LRM boat, and overall most effective mech. (it got me out of the T5 and T4 muck)

MCII-4

It just noms on everything. Designed for front-line LRMishing. (sub-500m combat)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 28 May 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#35 Cloves

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 561 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:03 PM

Did BSW-P1 this weekend, just to troll, inspired by a very annoying archer build I have seen before.

#36 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 03:12 PM

View PostCloves, on 28 May 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:

Did BSW-P1 this weekend, just to troll, inspired by a very annoying archer build I have seen before.

Oh I love those... They pop so easy. ;) (shoot the left torso, and say "bye bye" to their usefulness)

#37 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

SCR-D
https://mwo.smurfy-n...705c6531d0fc392
A-LRM45 + TAG + 4 ER-SML going 97 kph w/full armor and 6t of ammo.

Could also swap TAG for LTAG or ER-SML and upgrade to a full CAP.

#38 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

HBK-4J.

That thing can be a beast. 2 x ALRM10, 4 small lasers. I've run between 8 and 10 tons of ammo. With quirks it's a 2.5s cooldown, with 4 of 5 Velocity nodes missiles are 232 and spread is like 3.99. With XL 275 and speed tweak that's like 95kph. I've run with and without BAP, not usually with TAG but I could if I wanted.

The speed is what makes it, IMHO. You can keep up with a Nascar if your team starts doing that (and most do), hell, at times I've been right behind the lights and pressing people with Lurms. Re-positioning is so much easier, as is finding better firing angles.

I imagine most people will say that's way too much ammo, and if your team folds quick, it is. But if it does, a heavier laser armament isn't likely to save you anyways when it's 6v1, and I burned through less ammo often enough that I made sacrifices for MOAR.

Treb-3C

Have run it with both 2x ALRM10 and single ALRM20. Only 6 tons of ammo, but it's only half skilled and I'm still not sure what the better tradeoff is. 3xER Meds and an XL 300 going about 97kph w/o speed tweak; will prob get speed tweak someday, drop to smaller engine and tweak the build with the weight savings.

It might have similar performance to the -4J, but I haven't been arsed to skill it out completely.

Archers

Have a -2R, -5S and Tempest. Tried a lot of different builds but ended up with very similar builds on all of them: 2 x ALRM20s, 4 medlas, 8-9 tons of ammo, and some combination of AMS, BAP, or ECM on Tempest. XL 300. Max armor + survival tree, close doors and pretend you're a medlas brawler if you're OOA or in CQC. Tempest is just a hands down favorite thanks to ECM. Stay with heavies/assaults, spread ECM and follow pushes. Push Fire button nonstop, receive bacon.

With the Archers, I've had so many games where I've run my Lurms dry and then started racking up the kills with medlas at the end that it's actually kind of funny.

Assault LRM builds:

Just no. WTH is wrong with people?

#39 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:29 AM

The HBK-4J is a better MRM carrier than LRM carrier

#40 UltimatePrivate

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:46 PM

I just use a stalker 3f with 2 20lrm-artemis and a medium laser for self defense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users