28 replies to this topic

#21 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 26 January 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

ITT: People who sort target priority by colours lol.

The reds die hommes...
Love,
The Blues

#22 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Am I doing this right?
Camo level: Chameleon

Posted Image

Edited by Troa Barton, 26 January 2018 - 12:33 PM.

#23 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 25 January 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm not sure that it's possible but maybe there would be a good universal camo setup?

Greys and tans are probably what comes closest to a universal camouflage in MWO. Most maps have a large amount of one or the other, or both; HPG, Grim Plexus, Mining Collective, River City, Crimson Straight, Terra Therma; Tourmaline, Caustic, Rubellite.

And yes, camouflage does work although its effect is extremely limited in MWO: It has a disruptive effect breaking up the lines and shapes of the Mech making it more difficult to isolate components. You are drawing less attention, too, especially combined with ECM.

Really good players will not be hindered much, of course, and it is telling that I can run the blue-and-white Lyran Guards scheme a lot without feeling suicidal doing so. However, I do notice a difference in hostile attention when piloting my brightly painted WLF-2 compared to my grey camouflaged WLF-GR.

It is only natural, bright colours attract us fast:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

Loud and proud paint stands out. If that's what you want, more power to you.

I prefer earth tones and tiger stripes to break up the outline of the mech.

Beyond a couple hundred meters, camo doesn't matter - you're just a grey/black moving blob.

#25 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 19 April 2020 - 06:15 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 January 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

Well I have experienced being targeted more in brightly colored mechs. I do agree the benefit is small but noticable even with decent players.

I've also experienced that.
I first noticed it when one of my Jenners (with the default pattern) had a bright green stripe down the middle, and I wondered why I got blown up so quickly in that particular Jenner. I changed that bright green to a dull color, and that mech started lasting longer in matches.

#26 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:51 AM

I paint them all slate gray, because I want to be the gray man. Better Captain Brown than [color=#494949]

Manfred von Richthofen.

[/color]

I have seen it with the Wolverine Quarantine. See the safety bio green, shoot the right side torso. Paint it gray and it lasts a lot longer because it looks like any of several mechs of the same general size.

Pirates Bane is another one I painted. Red = shoot. Why make it easier. I don't think any teammates ever shot me before I painted it, but I know that a couple of times when I caught a fleeting glimpse of mechs with blue paint, it took me an extra fraction of a second to verify the Red Diamond and decide to shoot. If I can slow down the other guys OODA loop for just a tiny bit of time, maybe I will be out of sight by the time he decides to shoot me.

I also think it makes a difference on maps like Forest Colony when you see a red target box moving in the trees and can't tell if it is in cover or just concealment. Bright mechs show thru the gaps a lot more.

#27 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:54 AM

Tiger stripe, Dark Green, Dark Brown, and Camo Black... I actually live longer when getting shot at... Who the hell knows. Something I read somewhere on here some tile ago, is be carefull about choosing patterns and colors, they may change your hit boxes!

#28 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

2 or 3 shades of grey

Gun Metal gray, Polygon Grey with some half price woodland camo

#29 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:05 PM

I like the tiger stripe in green and orange and black. Black and grey are also two good colors I use. I can get half team chasing a spider because it's painted bright red and pink.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users