8 replies to this topic

#1 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts
  • LocationK-F jumping to battle

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:56 AM

So, I've noticed that there's a lot of advanced information available, but not much simple stuff for the player who's just finished the tutorial, and wants to try a quick play match. So I made one.

Nilaos' Quick Start Guide
This is written with the intention as a basic guide for players who have already completed the tutorial, and has some basic definitions & tips to just get into playing MechWarrior, without too much pain.

For more advanced information, try the MWO Guides subforum, and the unoffical guide to MWO. Both are good sources of information, and feel free to ask questions if there is anything you're not sure about.

I'll start with the basics:

Movement
Spoiler

Health - Armour & Structure
Where's my HP bar? Why did I die so quickly?
Spoiler
Heat
What's that bar on the right side of the map?
Spoiler

With that out of the way, and before you continue, it's important to understand the engagement ranges, as they determine which weapons are effective. This is, of course, based of my own experience, but should be relatively accurate.

Close-Quarters: <250m - This can be difficult to get into, unless the team as a whole makes a determined push - or you're in a very fast mech. (The range where IS smiles grimly)

Standard engagement range: 300-400m - This is typically where you will spend most of your time engaging the enemy, and where you set up for a push.

Intermediate range: 400-500m - The range where you will fire while moving to close with the enemy/get to cover near them to prepare for a push. (The range where Clan starts to go LOL at IS)

Long Range: >550m - Sniper battle/LRM duel range. (The range where Clan laughs louder at IS)

In addition, whenever you want to shoot at an enemy 'mech, always start by pressing 'r'. It allows you to get valuable targeting information, so you can get the kill quicker. In addition, it also can make your team aware of the enemy, and draw fire to them to make the kill happen even quicker.

You may also want to refer to the tactics comics. These are a valuable resource for all levels, and can make your life easier as a new player finding your way around the maps. If you are ever unsure, just stay with the bulk of the team, but don't hesitate if someone says 'push!'.

Weapons
There is a wide variety of weapons in MWO, many of which have different behaviours, and the vast majority of which are viable, at least somewhere. Due to the number, I'll spoiler them so you can look by category.

Energy
The most common weapon class of MWO, there are energy weapons for nearly every situation.
Spoiler

Ballistics
Guns. These are all physics weapons, and you may need to lead and adjust for shell drop at long range, but these can be very punishing weapons if used well. Requires ammunition.
Spoiler
Missiles

Rockets & homing missiles. These come in all flavours, and are slower projectiles than ballistics. Requires ammunition.
Spoiler

Information ("is ammunition")
A distinguishing feature of the game is the importance of information to victory. Best used to support LRMs or ATMs in hurting enemy 'mechs. These usually feature in more advanced play, and thus are not the most useful for newer players, with the exception of Artemis. Active Probe & TComps also offer useful buffs, but the priority should always be making sure the 'mech build is viable before equipping them.
Spoiler
Now that's covered, it's also useful to understand what the different engines and consumables are, and where to put armour (for when you finally get your own 'mech). Which brings me to:

Engines - What are they, and What's an XL?
Engines provide speed, and bigger engines weigh more. The size & type of engine used in any mech can vary greatly, but there are only a few types.
Spoiler

Consumables
What do these do? How do I use them?
Spoiler

Current Trial 'Mechs (21/1/18) [TODO:UPDATE]
As a new player, you will only have access to the trial 'mechs to start with. Don't worry, over you first 25 matches you will also receive a bonus, which will go a long way to letting you get your own 'mechs, but the trials are all tried and tested builds, and a good place to start. For each weight class, I'll list the two Clan 'mechs, then the two IS ones.

Lights
Small & Fast, but squishy. Low tonnage limits weapon options, but smaller ones can speed-tank. All can be focused to death if too close though, and it's not recommended to go alone unless you can go unseen (Requires ECM).
Spoiler
Mediums

Jack-of-all-trades 'mechs. Able to move at a decent speed, while still having solid firepower, but limited armour. Try to avoid getting focused, as you will die quickly.
Spoiler
Heavies

Moderately large targets, less mobile than mediums, but tougher & nastier than mediums. The core of any team.
Spoiler
Assaults

Big & Slow, but the most armour & guns you'll see on anything. Typically relied on to deal & take damage and lead team attacks.
Spoiler

Edited by NILAOS, 28 December 2020 - 06:09 AM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:51 PM

Very comprehensive!

I have some nit-picks, lack of command console, could go into more detail, doesn't even cover heatsinks and internal structure, etc... but for an entry level guide I think it does rather awesome. They're all minor nitpicks.

Well done.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 01 February 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#3 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostLeone, on 01 February 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

I have some nit-picks, lack of command console, could go into more detail, doesn't even cover heatsinks and internal structure, etc... but for an entry level guide I think it does rather awesome. They're all minor nitpicks.

Thanks for the feedback!
I intend to add sections on Heat & armour/structure, but I'm also consciously trying to 'dumb it down' for this guide - There's already guides that explain everything in great detail with all the numbers.
My goal is to make, as you said, an entry-level guide to make picking up the game easier for newbies - because MWO is a lot more complex then, say, Titanfall or even CS:GO, and I couldn't find a really simple guide when I went looking for one to help a newer player.

#4 5m0k3r

Rookie

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

Well done Quick Start Guide here!

Sure there is always more to say, as it is, considering everything, kind of a complex game, yet i find the basics are covered very well and in a pregnant manner.

Thanks for taking the time, doing something for the community should alway be appreciated.

#5 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

Updated 25/3 with current trial 'mechs; CCons and dumb-firing LRMs and ATMs

#6 CCtroma

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:15 PM

As a new player, this was great. I agree I'd love some more about the heat sinks, armor, structure, and maybe something on critical hits and ammo explosions.

Thank you for the effort.

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:51 AM

View PostNILAOS, on 01 February 2018 - 02:56 AM, said:

Keep arm-lock on. When arm-lock is disabled, you have two reticules to keep track of, and your view point follows the faster arm reticule. As a newer player, and likely still working on moving fluidly, having less to keep track of is better.

That's one point I disagree with. There are a few situations where you want to toggle it off and learn to play with it off:
  • If your mech has a substantial amount of arm-mounted weapons. Enforcer 4P would be an example.
  • If your mech's arm-mounted and torso-mounted weapons are distinct. Mad Cat MK II 2 and pretty much any Centurion would be examples. (exception: if your arm-mounted weapons are short-range and your torso-mounted weapons are long-range; then you'd only disengage the lock for brawls and keep it on otherwise)
  • If your mech uses lock-on weapons (SSRMs, LRMs, ATMs), your arm reticle is used to lock targets. With arms unlocked you can track the enemy much better, as well as kite them in ways that would be exceedingly difficult with arms locked..
TL;DR: Learn to play with your arms unlocked and only lock them when either necessary or your mech build doesn't have arm weapons or lock-on weapons to take advantage of the increased range of motion.

Edited by Horseman, 12 July 2019 - 03:54 AM.

#8 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 01 April 2020 - 10:46 AM

View PostNILAOS, on 01 February 2018 - 02:56 AM, said:

• Make sure your mouse sensitivity is set for its DPI. Having your mouse sensitivity accurate for your DPI just improves your quality of life, making aiming & moving easier. An example is for a 1200dpi mouse, I use 25-27% sensitivity in MWO, but this setting can be very individual.

well, actual pros would recommend 0.1 ingame sensitivity for 1200 DPI, also don't do mouse acceleration or smoothing

#9 NILAOS

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:01 AM

View PostHorseman, on 12 July 2019 - 03:51 AM, said:

TL;DR: Learn to play with your arms unlocked and only lock them when either necessary or your mech build doesn't have arm weapons or lock-on weapons to take advantage of the increased range of motion.

I agree for that as a even medium term goal - it's very important. The first challenge is to walk in a different direction than the one you're shooting in though, which is why I feel arm-lock and the two reticules will complicate things while they get used to the cockpit. After that, I'm all for learning with arm-lock off completely - and I'll edit it to improve that.

View PostTheUltimateGhost, on 01 April 2020 - 10:46 AM, said:

well, actual pros would recommend 0.1 ingame sensitivity for 1200 DPI, also don't do mouse acceleration or smoothing

Mouse sensitivity I've found to be a very personal preference, I definitely agree on no mouse accel or smoothing though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users