Does The Game Penalize Players Who Report Against Verbal Harassers?

36 replies to this topic

#21 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:06 PM

@ OP

Just turn off VOIP -- no one has anything useful to say in the PUG queue anyway.

#22 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 03 February 2018 - 03:06 PM, said:

@ OP

Just turn off VOIP -- no one has anything useful to say in the PUG queue anyway.

Well, that's one of the absolute most untruthful posts that I have ever seen! I've been the "Ice Breaker" in many a match, one who gets communication rolling. Even if the team which I'm on doesn't win, at least it avoided being a "12-0 ShutOut" because people tried to work together and communicate! Sure, yes, there are people who do the wrong thing of thinking it's fun to be rude on the In-Game VoIP. But, all you need do is Report & Block them, if you don't just decide to Quick Mute them. And, if I remember correctly, if you've blocked someone, the game now remembers to auto-mute them for you ahead of time. So there's at least that buffer to help block the jerks, all while you keep your ears listening for useful comms! B)

Further, disabling In-Game VoIP shuts it off globally, instead of just PUG/Solo Queue. It isn't limitable in any way to one type of match. It now also comes with the penalty in some situations of being impossible to reactivate until the next match, should you decide to shut it off. :huh:

Frankly, though, PGI should NEVER have made it an option to fully disable it. I don't get time to stop to type in the midst of battle, and being forced into doing so generally gets me killed. That does NOT help teams to lose teammates, and I barely get time to reach for my Push-To-Talk as it is in order to communicate information quickly or call for help. If I got pushed into always needing to open the text chat, I might as well Quit MWO then and actually Uninstall the damned thing! :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "No In-Game VoIP = No Fun Left in MWO" Devnull

#23 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 February 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

Well, that's one of the absolute most untruthful posts that I have ever seen! I've been the "Ice Breaker" in many a match, one who gets communication rolling. Even if the team which I'm on doesn't win, at least it avoided being a "12-0 ShutOut" because people tried to work together and communicate! Sure, yes, there are people who do the wrong thing of thinking it's fun to be rude on the In-Game VoIP. But, all you need do is Report & Block them, if you don't just decide to Quick Mute them. And, if I remember correctly, if you've blocked someone, the game now remembers to auto-mute them for you ahead of time. So there's at least that buffer to help block the jerks, all while you keep your ears listening for useful comms! Posted Image

Further, disabling In-Game VoIP shuts it off globally, instead of just PUG/Solo Queue. It isn't limitable in any way to one type of match. It now also comes with the penalty in some situations of being impossible to reactivate until the next match, should you decide to shut it off. Posted Image

Frankly, though, PGI should NEVER have made it an option to fully disable it. I don't get time to stop to type in the midst of battle, and being forced into doing so generally gets me killed. That does NOT help teams to lose teammates, and I barely get time to reach for my Push-To-Talk as it is in order to communicate information quickly or call for help. If I got pushed into always needing to open the text chat, I might as well Quit MWO then and actually Uninstall the damned thing! Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "No In-Game VoIP = No Fun Left in MWO" Devnull

Though I don't always agree with DV, I feel this is accurate. Even in solo QP, there are plenty of matches where good team communication happens. I find they far exceed the matches where someone is a pain.

If you run into someone annoying, mute them (and only them). Don't make your whole team pay for the actions of a few people who may not even be playing the game at the time.

Edited by Fox the Apprentice, 04 February 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#24 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:58 AM

I treat those with VOIP off in a match the same as a disco. They don't exist. "Dead 'mech walking." I don't count on their participation in the match nor do I expend any effort to cover them if they get themselves in trouble (which they almost invariably do). Joining a solo-QP PUG with VOIP disabled tells me you're playing a one-versus-twelve game and far be it for me to second-guess your choice and act like we're on a team together. We're not, by your own choice. GL, HF!

#25 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:08 AM

View PostCathy, on 02 February 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

Well constructed games, don't allow the Match Maker to put you on the same team or against a player you've blocked.

Actually most games do not. Not even WoT or WoWs does that. It will still match you with people you've put on your blocked/black list.

#26 Jack Booted Thug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 01 February 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

Other times they have a very thick accent. Voip's you could just mute or turn off.

PGI please build a wall? MmwoGA!!!!

#27 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostJack Booted Thug, on 04 February 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

PGI please build a wall? MmwoGA!!!!

Was there any logical reason for your reply? If I can't understand some one due to their accent I'll just mute or ignore them even if they are speaking English to the best of their ability as I am well aware of the fact that there are more languages other than american English or spanish which in the us are the two most dominant languages used. Here's a fact about a lot of americans: our education system sucks when it comes to non English language studies. Be happy you encounter any bilingual american as most only have the option of spanish or an other class.

#28 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

I should've put on my tinfoil hadt before reading this one...

Reiortijg someone equals higher wait times... Lol. Where do you guys get these whack ideas from?

#29 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 04 February 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

Though I don't always agree with DV, I feel this is accurate. Even in solo QP, there are plenty of matches where good team communication happens. I find they far exceed the matches where someone is a pain.

If you run into someone annoying, mute them (and only them). Don't make your whole team pay for the actions of a few people who may not even be playing the game at the time.

To add to that....... Even further, don't make all future teams that you might be with have to pay the price for the actions of one single jerk or a small bundle of them. All that a complete disable of In-Game VoIP does is help the toxic community members continue to destroy the entire community of a game, and MWO is no exception. ;)

View PostBlueStrat, on 04 February 2018 - 09:58 AM, said:

I treat those with VOIP off in a match the same as a disco. They don't exist. "Dead 'mech walking." I don't count on their participation in the match nor do I expend any effort to cover them if they get themselves in trouble (which they almost invariably do). Joining a solo-QP PUG with VOIP disabled tells me you're playing a one-versus-twelve game and far be it for me to second-guess your choice and act like we're on a team together. We're not, by your own choice. GL, HF!

On the constructive side of things....... Even if they're unwilling to communicate, you might try keeping them alive occasionally to be the target of focus for the enemy. You help get kills on the enemy still, and that will pay "Savior Kill" bonuses that boost your final earnings. I think there might even be hidden elements in the Match Score that are linked to keeping your teammates alive... :blink:

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 04 February 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

I should've put on my tinfoil hadt before reading this one...

Reiortijg someone equals higher wait times... Lol. Where do you guys get these whack ideas from?

Not being mean here, but....... I would bet they come from the same place where your spell checker came from. (That's a joke, btw...) :P

I had some real trouble reading your post at first. "hadt" = "hat", and "Reiortijg" = "Reporting", right? I think I just got reminded why I proof-read my own posts for spelling errors before I put them up. :(

~D. V. "Possibly suffering effects of excess sugary food right now... but still trying to be constructive!" Devnull

#30 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:09 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 04 February 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

On the constructive side of things....... Even if they're unwilling to communicate, you might try keeping them alive occasionally to be the target of focus for the enemy. You help get kills on the enemy still, and that will pay "Savior Kill" bonuses that boost your final earnings. I think there might even be hidden elements in the Match Score that are linked to keeping your teammates alive... Posted Image

Well, the problem with worrying about "keeping them alive" is that, because they don't hear the team agree to move someplace, etc etc, they're quite often way out of position, meaning risking losing more than one 'mech to save a teammate that's only marginally valuable.

Oh, but they're not *totally* useless. They're sometimes useful as bait! Posted Image

Edited by BlueStrat, 05 February 2018 - 01:18 AM.

#31 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 05 February 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

Well, the problem with worrying about "keeping them alive" is that, because they don't hear the team agree to move someplace, etc etc, they're quite often way out of position, meaning risking losing more than one 'mech to save a teammate that's only marginally valuable.

Oh, but they're not *totally* useless. They're sometimes useful as bait! Posted Image

You really don't need voice coms to keep up with your team. Anyone who's played QP long enough can figure out where the team is going by combining radar sigs with a visual check of their heading.

I don't and never will use VOIP. A word of advice for the hardcore VOIP users: Keep reading the text chat. There have been times when I've typed 3 times about some important piece of information, only to watch some guy babbling into his headseat die to whatever it was and then ask on VOIP what happened or start in on the team blame. Dude...

Edited by Water Bear, 05 February 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#32 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

I don't really have the ability to read chat while I'm being shot at. I don't know how many people can, but I think it would be fair to say, even if it was a 50/50 split (which is doubtful), it's still absurd to expect people to be able to read your typing when in combat. Especially since you cannot pilot and type at the same time, either. And don't get me started on how the text fades out after only a few seconds.

That said, any attempt made to communicate, even if it's not as likely to be read as heard, is a step in the right direction.

#33 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:11 AM

View PostSeranov, on 05 February 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

I don't really have the ability to read chat while I'm being shot at. I don't know how many people can, but I think it would be fair to say, even if it was a 50/50 split (which is doubtful), it's still absurd to expect people to be able to read your typing when in combat. Especially since you cannot pilot and type at the same time, either. And don't get me started on how the text fades out after only a few seconds.

That said, any attempt made to communicate, even if it's not as likely to be read as heard, is a step in the right direction.

No one is expecting you to split your attention while in the midst of trading blows. It's when you're repositioning that you have the time to listen, and if you have time to listen then you have time to read, methinks. It takes about the same amount of brain power. I know I personally don't hear or read a thing that's being said or typed while I'm trading fire. And when I do hear it, 90% of the time it's a dead player on VOIP giving me his opinion of our team's or my performance. Superbly helpfull stuff, that.

Bear in mind that games like Starcraft 2 have no voice chat, and I was in the top 100 in the United States at one point in SC2 2v2. When we had to communicate (which was not often) we did it by typing. Granted, people in competetive play use VOIP for 2v2, but I never did that just like I don't play MWO competetively. All my gaming skills are centered around the random team.

#34 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostSeranov, on 05 February 2018 - 09:06 AM, said:

Agreed, especially about trying to read text chat while in the heat of engagement.

Not enabling VOIP gimps yourself AND gimps any team you're on. I'd rather have a T4/T5 player on my team that responds to VOIP calls than a deaf & dumb T1 player.

#35 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:39 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 05 February 2018 - 10:17 AM, said:

Agreed, especially about trying to read text chat while in the heat of engagement.

Not enabling VOIP gimps yourself AND gimps any team you're on. I'd rather have a T4/T5 player on my team that responds to VOIP calls than a deaf & dumb T1 player.

I don't know about you, but I don't have time to listen to voice chat while in the heat of engagement, either. Read my prior reply.

#36 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:55 PM

I use VOIP to warn team mates of things like lights or flanking mediums or the location of enemy mechs or enemy movements or what to target or where to target someone or a dozen other pretty important things.

Sucks for anyone not getting that info.

#37 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

Instructions on reporting misconduct can be found in the PGI Support articles: https://mwomercs.com...-for-misconduct Players are not penalized for reporting misconduct.

[mod]As the original topic directs towards discussing moderation,
this thread is now closed.

Please move tangential constructive discussion to relevant or new threads.[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users