Sleipnir Or Mauler For Dual Heavy Gauss?

3 replies to this topic

#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hello all,

Since the patch, I've been playing around with the HGR and trying out dual-HGR builds in anticipation of Fafnir. Currently, I'm running two of them on the Sleipnir and it is proving to be quite effective.

I purchased a couple of Maulers during the sales in January and I have a shiny new MAL-2P just waiting to go. Both chassis will run at the same glacial pace (48.6 km/h), they both have torso-mounted ballistic mounts, with the MAL able to carry a few more secondary weapons.

So, notwithstanding the 30% c-bill bonus on the Sleipnir, is one chassis better than the other for a dual-Gauss setup?

Thanks!
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 03 February 2018 - 10:45 AM.

#2 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

Slepnir is 100% superior if you actually take advantage of the fact that you can get a build (which has both enough ammo to last any pub game, and 3 ERML backups) which can go up to ~60kph with speed tweek. The other huge thing is that it has better agility which lets it actually torso twist as needed, while the mauler tends to be a walking CT that any half decent player can gun down without any effort.

Essentially, the mauler is pretty much a better dakka platform for long range since you can do hex-ac2, the slepnir is flat out superior for quad dakka of any sort, and does the 2HGR loadout better due to the good torso-twisting and slighty superior hitboxes (its still a barn, but not as wide and like obvious).

Actually, worth noting is the fact that the slepnir cant bring more then 4 lasers (i believe there is a mauler that can do 6 ERMLs with the 2 HGRs). So if you want max offensive, bring mauler, if you want versatility, speed, and defense, bring slepnir...

Edited by panzer1b, 03 February 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#3 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

Hi panzer1b,

Thanks for the reply.

In order to get the Sleipnir to ~60km/h, speed tweak or not means removing backup weapons and/or shaving off a heck of a lot of armor in order to carry enough ammunition, unless I'm missing something. On the other hand, if it twists faster than the MAL, that is a very useful trait.

I guess I'll just have to try the MAL-2P out and see what happens.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#4 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:32 PM

The mauler aint bad at gauss vomit, but you need to be aware that the thing is a massive target that attracts ALOT of fire, much more then a cyclops would. If you go the mauler route, get that one with the 6 energy and mount 2HGR+6ERML, so at least your 1st 2 shots or so hurt really really badly (80 alfa is extremely effective in this game). If you bring a large enough engine, its possible to get it to move around 55 or so with speed tweak which is at least managable, and it makes a great pushing mech since the 50 PPFLD is heat-free (or may as well be).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users