Future Of Mwo

40 replies to this topic

#1 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

Is anybody still playing this game? Is it getting VR support anytime soon? Any reason to be optimistic about the future of this game?

#2 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

sadly from what I have seen the community that still plays this game is rather small. as for VR, not likely (personally the things give me a headache). I have a feeling as soon as the new Battletech and MW:5 come out this game will become a ghost town. not enough new players coming in and staying (as a new player myself I am only guessing based on the long wait times in most if not all modes, especially during certain times of the day)

#3 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:41 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 05 February 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

sadly from what I have seen the community that still plays this game is rather small. as for VR, not likely (personally the things give me a headache). I have a feeling as soon as the new Battletech and MW:5 come out this game will become a ghost town. not enough new players coming in and staying (as a new player myself I am only guessing based on the long wait times in most if not all modes, especially during certain times of the day)

IF MWO becomes a ghost town it won't be because of MW5 or Battletech, there is really nothing about those games that replaces anything about MWO since one isn't a shooter and the other isn't multiplayer.

MWO might become a ghost town from lack of development and support though, but I actually think a successful release of MW5 would be good rather than bad for MWO, since it would revitalize PGI and put them back on the map as a developer, and for the people buying MW5 and also wanting a multiplayer component MWO would be that.

Actually I think they should bundle MW5 with some free mechs and MC in MWO so they can draw in some of the new players to both games on release.

Unfortunately the previews of MW5 don't look very good, I really want it to be good, but it just doesn't look good so far. Graphics aren't 2018 level, AI seems bad, gameplay seems meh, sounds are bad, missions and maps looks uninspired. Mechs look good, but they look good in MWO too

Edited by Sjorpha, 05 February 2018 - 05:50 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:42 AM

There are at least 40,000 active players in this game. Active as in at least one game per two weeks.

No news about VR support, though I dunno if Crytek made it compatible with the engine.

Any reason to be optimistic? If you do not like what we have now then you should play some other games. There will not be huge sweeping changes, just mech on mech arena violence.

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 05 February 2018 - 04:32 AM, said:

MW5 is SP only game. I doubt it will affect MWO player count in the long run.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 February 2018 - 04:45 AM.

#5 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:55 AM

Yes, though it seems like less and less everyday.

Beats me, don’t care.

No.

#6 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

View PostNo One Lives Forever, on 05 February 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm afraid your name is a perfect answer for your thread Posted Image

Russ said on twitter, we should expect new roadmap in a middle of this month. Then we shall see what lies ahead.

So far i'm in doubt. On one hand we are getting major feature developed soon (Solaris, bolt-on geometry), which would be weird move if you want to dump a game. On other hand CW, what supposed to be end-game content for MWO, still in disastrous condition, and one can wonder if Solaris duels, as new mode, are supposed to disguise ever decreasing players numbers.

Lets hope for the best.

Edited by Sigmar Sich, 05 February 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#7 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

#8 No One Lives Forever

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:35 PM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 05 February 2018 - 07:07 AM, said:

That is pretty good video, actually.

#9 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 05 February 2018 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm afraid your name is a perfect answer for your thread Posted Image

Russ said on twitter, we should expect new roadmap in a middle of this month. Then we shall see what lies ahead.

So far i'm in doubt. On one hand we are getting major feature developed soon (Solaris, bolt-on geometry), which would be weird move if you want to dump a game. On other hand CW, what supposed to be end-game content for MWO, still in disastrous condition, and one can wonder if Solaris duels, as new mode, are supposed to disguise ever decreasing players numbers.

Lets hope for the best.

Well TF2 has lasted 10 years with the awful devs that Valve has become so...

#10 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:56 PM

Wasn't there a tweet by Russ about a new roadmap and 'exciting' things to come?

#11 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:09 PM

Frankly, they've had a good run. They should be socking money away to develop mwo II. Or some such. Or maybe getting a nuke to destroy harmony gold, that too would be a good use of resources.

#12 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:27 PM

*old man voice*
Future?! Whats that?
Lets just ban all the clan mechs and go back to 3025!

#13 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:47 PM

I've seen different variations of this exact post leading back to 2012. I'm still having fun playing, and the Jarl's leaderboard (which strip mines the forum tourney stats) lists concurrent players at 50K+, so there's still a reasonably robust playerbase kicking around.

The biggest thing for me is that the engine is really starting to show it's age. I'd be happy with a look and feel upgrade. Engine change, effects overhaul, etc. Russ has stated that he's open to committing to that if the community would support the idea.

#14 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:48 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 February 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

There are at least 40,000 active players in this game. Active as in at least one game per two weeks.

MW5 is SP only game. I doubt it will affect MWO player count in the long run.

EL, no offense but that 40K needs to be divided by at least 2; so that you account for alternative accounts. There are a lot of players with at least three accounts and some with more: all of which are the same person in reality.

OP, MWO will eek by as a super small niche game because the "established players" buy anything PGI offers immediatly after it is offered...... That is why PGI isn't going anything to fix this game because they don't have to------those players that buy "anything and everything" are paying the rent for PGI.

I don't believe PGI can fix this game without changing game engines........ That is why Solaris, despite being against everything this game stands for (teams?) is being developed and fielded: because they didn't have to change engines to field a low complexity, 2D battlespace with 1x1/2x2 arena matches...... To fix Faction Play in reality............well, that would necessitate a hardware change and twice the effort Solaris would take.

The future is a extremely small nich game with about 10K players eeking along with what you see right now.

Edited by Asym, 05 February 2018 - 10:50 PM.

#15 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

there is no future.

feels like 60% of the time i play mwo is spent waiting for things to happen. so i only play during the high traffic of events, now i only have to wait 59% of the time.

#16 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

"Future of MWO" by "No One Lives Forever"..... hmmmmm

Is this a trick question?

#17 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

Of course there's a future of MWo....

Do you want to buy a mechpack?

#18 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:56 AM

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 February 2018 - 03:19 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 05 February 2018 - 04:41 AM, said:

IF MWO becomes a ghost town it won't be because of MW5 or Battletech, there is really nothing about those games that replaces anything about MWO since one isn't a shooter and the other isn't multiplayer.

As pretty unanimously agreed upon, the only thing keeping this game afloat is the name of the franchise, which both those games have. I wouldn't be so secure that this game won't bleed players to the others, especially MW5, as the skill here is abysmal and I really don't think most players want to compete against each other. PvP is probably the least attractive aspect of this game to much of the community, who pride themselves in bad/fun builds and not giving a **** about their team.

#20 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:14 AM

I still play but I have issues and plan to play till servers close (which I hope never happens till after I die).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users