Best Heavy Mech For Going All Ballistics In 2018?

16 replies to this topic

#1 sha1dy

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:35 PM

Hey pilots!

Can anyone suggest what heavy mech I should obtain if I want to go full ballistics? I really really like how ballistics operate and I don't want to mix ballistics with lasers, but can go with ballistics and SRM's mix.

I currently run custom Mad Dog with different omnipods versions with 2xUAC5 and 4xSRM6. The problem is that 2/3 of the match and I'm out of ammo no matter how accurate I was during the battle Posted Image So I don't think Mad Dog is a good fit for this kind of setup.

I don't have any preferences between Clan and IS, but I heard IS ballistics are not so good as Clans.

I tried Assaults (Kodiak, Dire Wolf), but I don't really like the speed of Assaults and prefer something much agile.

Edited by sha1dy, 07 February 2018 - 12:37 PM.

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

Its not a heavy, but the best ballistic mech faster than a Kodiak on the clan side would be the Hunchback IIC. You can run things like dual UAC10s on it, dual UAC20s, dual LBX20s, dual gauss, triple UAC5s, or quad UAC2s. Ebon Jaguar can also run most of the builds that the Hunchback IIC can while in the heavy bracket, can't run quad UAC2s though and has no jump jet option or ability to lower its engine ratings to move in the 70s so that you can have the powerful combination of jump jets, decent speed, and high mounted ballistics so you can pop up and shoot things.

On the IS side the Warhammer 6R can run pretty good with dual UAC10s but that's always paired with lasers. The Jagermech DD might work out for you instead with all the ballistics IS has available. Roughneck 1A is also a viable option for Ballistics if you want more durability but less offensive power.

IS Ballistics are superior to Clan ballistics, but they are heavier to make up for that. For example, IS UACs jam less often and are more precise (less shots per volley to do the same damage) and IS ACs fire a single powerful shell instead of a stream of little ones. IS also has access to RACs, light gauss rifles, and heavy gauss rifles that Clans do not have.

I also did not mention the Night Gyr, as it has the agility of a Dire Wolf and the speed of a Kodiak while being a heavy.

Edited by Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood, 07 February 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

The Night Gyr is a Assault Mech in a 75 tone package. You may be better with a Mad IIC but the Gyr is the smaller target of the two.

I heard good things about the Ebony Jag but I been getting cored far too easy in mine.

I was using a T-Wolf with dual UAC-10s until the jam increase awhile back, I always end up with both guns jammed. I may give duel LB-10X a chance.

Marauder has been a solid AC platform from the word go.

Warhammer 6R is best with duel Ballistics. You can crazy stuff with the Black Widow.

Cataphract is made for ballistics but it's a early design with low mounts that will hurt you hill humping scenarios.

#4 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

If you want an IS ballistic medium both the ShadowHawk and Bushwackerer do ballistics well.

For Heavies the Rifleman is great and so is the Roughneck. My 2 LB10-X Legend Killer and 2 UAC10 Reaver are favorites of mine. If you want a very tanky mech that runs ballistics and missiles definitely go Roughneck! The Rifleman is more of a fire support ballistic mech.

Overall I'd get a Roughneck.

#5 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

View PostZookeeper Dan, on 08 February 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

If you want an IS ballistic medium both the ShadowHawk and Bushwackerer do ballistics well.

For Heavies the Rifleman is great and so is the Roughneck. My 2 LB10-X Legend Killer and 2 UAC10 Reaver are favorites of mine. If you want a very tanky mech that runs ballistics and missiles definitely go Roughneck! The Rifleman is more of a fire support ballistic mech.

Overall I'd get a Roughneck.

Good advice, but I'd advise against the Shadowhawk. Much better to get a Bushwacker with 2x RAC/5, IMO.

I think you're spot on that the Roughneck is what he wants.

Edited by Water Bear, 11 February 2018 - 07:48 AM.

#6 SirSoggyDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:29 PM

The three ballistic heavies I've run on the IS side have been a dual AC/20 Rifleman, dual HGR Whammer, and quad UAC/2 Jaegermech.

The Rifleman is a great fire support mech, it just relies really hard on being the 2nd most dangerous thing the enemy team can see. As such it's best to tag with the Assaults and bounce around to who need help. The mech is squishy but can output a lot of pinpoint damage fast.

The Whammer is probably the best platform for a straight dual Heavy Guass loadout, and if you're comfortable with the system it's a pretty good mech vs just about anything within it's effective range. Just be careful about getting mobbed or exposing your CT for extended timeframes.

The Jaeger is just as squishy as the Rifleman, and dosen't have the speed to keep it out of situations where it'll dissolve like wet tissue paper. It does however, have good quirks and great ballistic hardpoints, so it works well as a long range fire support mech. I run mine with quad UAC/2s, stay 700m+ from the enemy, and try to use the sustained DPS to blunt enemy advances.

I find IS ballistics to actually be the better weapons, they just pay for it in weight. It's also comparatively easy to justify IS ballistics over laser boating than it is Clan ballistics in my opinion.

#7 A Headless Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 273 posts
  • LocationImmersed in Stupid.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 06:45 PM

Would you like to talk about our Lord and Savior the Annihilator?

EDIT: I know this is a Heavy thread, but still...

Edited by A Headless Chicken, 19 February 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#8 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Some have had success with Dakka builds on the Black Widow Warhammer.

#9 pheeere

• PipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in a non-euclidean corner of the map

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:33 AM

Warhammer "Black Widow"
4x UAC5

Warhammer 6R
2x Gauss + 4x ErMedLasers
2x AC10 + 4x ErMedLasers
2x UAC10 + 4x MedLasers

Roughneck (not sure which variants from the top of my head)
1x UAC10 + 2x MRM20
1x AC20 + 3x SRM6
1x Heavy Gauss + 3x MedPulse (my favourite atm, you can deadside with the left due to Standard engine and MedPulse in CT/Head, pinpoint dmg, still +70kph, high ballistic hardpoint)

just my 2 Cents

Edited by pheeere, 20 February 2018 - 04:35 AM.

#10 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:15 PM

There was someone running around doing naughty things with a 3x UAC2 Dragon, too

#11 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:21 AM

Warhammer is probably in the running for best IS heavy ballistic chassis. If you can allow yourself to go up to 80 tons, the -9A1 victor is also a fantastic recommendation (but good luck getting one if you didn't get it while it was out for c bills).

Edited by Water Bear, 27 February 2018 - 05:22 AM.

#12 Alpha Viech

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

Best Heavy for Ballistics:

Jagermech all Variants

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

View PostAlpha Viech, on 12 March 2018 - 02:00 AM, said:

Best Heavy for Ballistics:

Jagermech all Variants

I see you and I raise you,a Direwolf-UV, twin ballistic slots in each arm, with the right omnipods the rt and left torsos can do the same.

#14 Alpha Viech

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:17 AM

But its an assault Posted Image

(and i go with a direwolf w with 2lbx20, 2lbx5 and 3erml into the brawl Posted Image)

But with the Jager....dual everything exept heavy gauss/lbx20 on any variants; quad ac2/5, dual Rotary 5 with 4 lmg,

Which other Heavy can do this? Its the Ballistic God, the chassis you have to play if you like Dakka Dakka Posted Image
The only downside of the jager is getting shotted with spreadlike weapons:srms, lbx, mrms and those ******* lights with a skilled Pilot:)

Roughneck, only one highmount ballstic, arms struggle like in the cataphract
Rifleman, too light, too fragile
Warhammer, only the $ Variant comes close to the jager and also he suffers from the fact that its torsomounted and barely can shoot anything above/below him, also like rifleman must leave more of his cover, but yeah can fit the heavy guns Posted Image

Edited by Alpha Viech, 12 March 2018 - 06:39 AM.

#15 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

The new sun spider with the ecm for clans, and a roughneck for IS.

#16 Captain Claw

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:18 AM

Just as a note for OP, and anyone else who's thinking of the maddog, if you run uacs and srms you should only run 2x srm6 and 2x srm4. then grab some ammo with the extra weight. the added ammo plus firing less missiles per volley will keep you running till the end of the match.

#17 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 03:35 AM

View PostSirSoggyDog, on 11 February 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

The three ballistic heavies I've run on the IS side have been a dual AC/20 Rifleman, dual HGR Whammer, and quad UAC/2 Jaegermech.

The Rifleman is a great fire support mech, it just relies really hard on being the 2nd most dangerous thing the enemy team can see. As such it's best to tag with the Assaults and bounce around to who need help. The mech is squishy but can output a lot of pinpoint damage fast.

The Whammer is probably the best platform for a straight dual Heavy Guass loadout, and if you're comfortable with the system it's a pretty good mech vs just about anything within it's effective range. Just be careful about getting mobbed or exposing your CT for extended timeframes.

The Jaeger is just as squishy as the Rifleman, and dosen't have the speed to keep it out of situations where it'll dissolve like wet tissue paper. It does however, have good quirks and great ballistic hardpoints, so it works well as a long range fire support mech. I run mine with quad UAC/2s, stay 700m+ from the enemy, and try to use the sustained DPS to blunt enemy advances.

I find IS ballistics to actually be the better weapons, they just pay for it in weight. It's also comparatively easy to justify IS ballistics over laser boating than it is Clan ballistics in my opinion.

What he said. Plus it exploits one of the main Problems with Clan Mechs which is overheating

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users