Mild Rant

25 replies to this topic

#1 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:53 AM

What the hell is going on today with my teams?! Every one in 5 or 10 is a win.
This, this had to happen for me to get a win. THIS! My hands are shaking xD This whole match was trading mech for a mech then they take the lead and so on until the end.
Amaizing match, both teams were just excellent. But god damn this is what had to happen for me to get the win.
Dear god if this wasn't a win I'd have ragequit.

https://i.imgur.com/YQS9krU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QGvjaWJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4Sfdrz8.jpg

Edited by Acersecomic, 20 September 2018 - 08:53 AM.

#2 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:42 PM

One guy last night in a Hellbringer on the enemy team had 7 kills and over 1500 damage and lost. Worst performance by the rest of his team I've ever seen.

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 September 2018 - 02:49 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 20 September 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

One guy last night in a Hellbringer on the enemy team had 7 kills and over 1500 damage and lost. Worst performance by the rest of his team I've ever seen.

I wouldn't put much weight on that Hellbringers performance, he could quite easily have got that by hiding at the back behind a rock and only coming out (under ECM) to MAXIMUM ALPHA! targets his team-mates have already got a lock on. I'm willing to bet he was one of the last mechs fighting and had most of his armour intact when you guys started pushing him.

#4 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:28 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 September 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

I wouldn't put much weight on that Hellbringers performance, he could quite easily have got that by hiding at the back behind a rock and only coming out (under ECM) to MAXIMUM ALPHA! targets his team-mates have already got a lock on.

To be honest this is exactly what a Hellbringer should do, it's not a brawling heavy. If you present your valuable and easy-to-hit left torso more than necessary you are probably doing it wrong.

When i play my hellbringer it shares most of it's armor automatically just by random return fire due to it's long laser duration. There is no need to 'overshare' and die early by duking it out with real front-line mechs like Bushwackers or Annis who eat Hellbringers for breakfast.

And with 7 kills secured and 1500dmg he definitely carried hard, and a decent team would have easily capitalized on that.

Edited by Daggett, 20 September 2018 - 03:38 PM.

#5 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:56 PM

View PostDaggett, on 20 September 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

To be honest this is exactly what a Hellbringer should do, it's not a brawling heavy. If you present your valuable and easy-to-hit left torso more than necessary you are probably doing it wrong.

When i play my hellbringer it shares most of it's armor automatically just by random return fire due to it's long laser duration. There is no need to 'overshare' and die early by duking it out with real front-line mechs like Bushwackers or Annis who eat Hellbringers for breakfast.

And with 7 kills secured and 1500dmg he definitely carried hard, and a decent team would have easily capitalized on that.

Sitting at he back leaching from locks under ECM is not supporting your teammates and is effectively the same tactic the Lurm-boats use that the Alpha-warrior despises so much. And as we know, "Teamwork OP, please nerf!"

I never said it should be brawling upfront but it should have a presence on the battlefield. The presence of an additional heavy mech (especially one known for boating such a ridiculous alpha) can dissuade an enemy push and split the enemies fire (sharing armour does not mean tanking damage) both of which give your team an edge, not to mention the added protection the ECM could bring while your brawling Annihilator moves up into position.

Really, if you're going to hide at the back behind a rock and only poke under ECM to vomit on pre-locks, take a cougar, you still have the 70pt Alpha and ECM only now someone else can take a Linebacker/Roughneck and fight up front where the tonnage will be put to better use.

#6 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 September 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

Sitting at he back leaching from locks under ECM is not supporting your teammates and is effectively the same tactic the Lurm-boats use that the Alpha-warrior despises so much. And as we know, "Teamwork OP, please nerf!"

I never said it should be brawling upfront but it should have a presence on the battlefield. The presence of an additional heavy mech (especially one known for boating such a ridiculous alpha) can dissuade an enemy push and split the enemies fire (sharing armour does not mean tanking damage) both of which give your team an edge, not to mention the added protection the ECM could bring while your brawling Annihilator moves up into position.

Really, if you're going to hide at the back behind a rock and only poke under ECM to vomit on pre-locks, take a cougar, you still have the 70pt Alpha and ECM only now someone else can take a Linebacker/Roughneck and fight up front where the tonnage will be put to better use.

7 kills and 1000+ damage means they did their part. Sounds like the rest of the team couldn't be bothered to press R or really do much of anything.

#7 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 20 September 2018 - 03:56 PM, said:

What you call "leaching from locks" is actually "focusing fire on one target". That's the definition of teamwork in MWO. If you don't use other's locks chances are that you get stomped because all enemies are equally damaged but still functional.

Lurm-boats of cause can't rely much on other's locks because their missiles are too slow to arrive before the lock has gone. Peeking with a laser-vomit hellbringer and firing on the enemy a fellow Anni is targeting however is probably the best you can do.

Typical Hellbringers are mid-range mechs with about 400-500m optimum range, so you are by default much closer to the front as the meme LRM-assault. At this range you DO have a presence and you WILL supress the enemy and split their firepower (that's what i meant with that you will automatically share your armor).

If a Hellbringer would "hide" behind a rock way back outside of optimum range like you suspected it will have a very hard time dealing 1000+ damage.

So i guess we are both one the same page regarding the ideal fighting distance of a laser-hellbringer, the problem with your argumentation is just that it's unrealistic for a 400m range Hellbringer to deal that much damage without having a presence and receiving it's share of return-fire too.

So i still say that a Hellbringer which does 7 kills and 1500 dmg did everything right and is the MVP of the match. Posted Image

Edited by Daggett, 20 September 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#8 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hmm, I think I would rather take that 1500 damage Hellbringer pilot on my team than..VonBruinwald

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,790 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:34 PM

i think some of my most exceptional games happen on losses. you carry hard but the weight of all them potatoes is stifling. at the end of the day you are just one mech trying to keep your bag of potatoes safe against overwhelming odds. i think its the match maker's way of trolling.

#10 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't put much weight on that Hellbringers performance, he could quite easily have got that by hiding at the back behind a rock and only coming out (under ECM) to MAXIMUM ALPHA! targets his team-mates have already got a lock on. I'm willing to bet he was one of the last mechs fighting and had most of his armour intact when you guys started pushing him.

So...the meta?

#11 Wil McCullough

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:24 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 20 September 2018 - 07:34 PM, said:

you carry hard but the weight of all them potatoes is stifling.

The inner sphere is actually a part of ireland. Go tater or go home!

#12 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:41 AM

SEVEN kills, and FIFTEEN HUNDRED damage..... sounds like the HBR did his job...dude.... .really? Still making extreme kicky kicky about a 64 point alpha?

The HBR sounds like a guy I'd want on my team....... you.. .maybe not so much .....

Edited by Ensaine, 21 September 2018 - 03:43 AM.

#13 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 05:53 AM

Think game......this is a game.....and, a game with just about no one playing anymore.....us "potatoes"....you know, the 66% that actually "just play the game" left the game full-time......those pilots whom haven't rage quit and play maybe, an event if it's decent.

All of you need to click your heels together three time and say: It's only a game.....

#14 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:51 AM

That poor Hellbringer pilot. If he's from Croatia, I'm buying them a beer.
And yes, Hellbringer with laser vomit is a medium range sniper. His burns open up components and stands as a terrifying presence on the field.
When you can lose your CT armor from a single burn, you bet you're not gonna peek around the corner again.
Hats off to the Hellbringer pilot. Rest in peace, buddy xD

@Asym. It may be a game, but we do have standards, and we don't play to lose all the time.

#15 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:20 AM

View PostAcersecomic, on 21 September 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

@Asym. It may be a game, but we do have standards, and we don't play to lose all the time.

I think you're missing the point, it's a game, it doens't matter if you win or lose, you should be enjoy the ride. That's one of the reasons I don't understand these players who obsessively try to their stats up. If you're playing to win you're missing out on half the fun.

#16 Sh0t

Rookie

• The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:15 PM

hard to enjoy these lopsided games

#17 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 September 2018 - 08:20 AM, said:

I think you're missing the point, it's a game, it doens't matter if you win or lose, you should be enjoy the ride. That's one of the reasons I don't understand these players who obsessively try to their stats up. If you're playing to win you're missing out on half the fun.

Yes, because pathethic stomps are great and people playing sports are not sad they lost a match. Sure we're in to play and have fun, but IT IS HARD TO HAVE FUN WHEN YOU'RE ON THE LOSING END A BIT TOO MUCH. How is this hard to understand? Success is fun. Failure is a place to learn from, but not when you're not at fault. When you are not in control of your gains.

#18 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 21 September 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

Sure we're in to play and have fun, but IT IS HARD TO HAVE FUN WHEN YOU'RE ON THE LOSING END A BIT TOO MUCH.

Implying you're on the losing end too much when you have a positive w:l is a falsehood, or hubris, I'm not sure.

Do not, my friend, become addicted to victory, or it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence!

#19 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:45 PM

Again for me the issues seem to come back to;

A; Tier rating not meaning much (throwing everyone into a randomness gumbo with low player numbers as the "excuse" is a bit shallow in reasoning).

B; 12 v 12 coming across as just a little too swarmy.

Mostly A, but I really do think its just a little too high for QP.

#20 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 September 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

Implying you're on the losing end too much when you have a positive w:l is a falsehood, or hubris, I'm not sure.

It's not hubris if most of your losses are because several of your teammates failed to carry their weight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users