#1 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:50 AM

I am currently running this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0b7edc4d2c0e654

But generally I am doing very badly in it, my damage & W/L ratio is abysmal and I die far too fast at times.

I have tried to stick with the big boys on the field, and I tried to flank, basically I tried many stuff, and still I do badly.

I know its not the mech, its the pilot. But I really trying to like this mech. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

#2 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

If thats ur build it looks good except for the back armor is way to much

#3 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:06 AM

View Postradiv, on 13 February 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

If thats ur build it looks good except for the back armor is way to much

Opps sorry I didn't follow the armor distribution, mine is about 5 at the back.

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:18 AM

Try something like this build. Put the AC5 on your left mouse button and the rest on your right button; use the AC5 at a distance, then when the fighting gets closer add in the MGs and small lasers.

The UM-R60 has ballistic range, cooldown and velocity buffs, but with machineguns only the range buff applies. Using something like an AC5, LB5X, AC2 or LB2X will give you a longer ranged punch to be able to do damage without exposing yourself up close to enemy firepower and will make better use of the mech's quirks.

#5 DFM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 261 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:09 AM

Focus on what works best, not just filling hardpoints because they are there.

I have a 60, and the MG thing just does not work for me either. HMG@1T each just doesn't put out the damage, and I find myself unable to hang back and wait for crit poaching time for when they would shine.

I actually switched to a RAC5 and 4ersm and find it amazingly fun for me. Similar in the style of "your not looking at me. dakkadakkadakka" as the MG's, but actually putting out damage at range. Using that trashcan size, pop out and spool that thing up for a second or two into something.

#6 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

The problem with your original build is actually range optimization. MGs are powerful crit finders, especially when clustered in group like the 4 on the R60. The problem is you are using HeavyMGs, which had crap for range compared to the optimal range of 220 for the pulses.

So you are either face hugging mechs to do full damage potential (which can be very unhealthy if they are short enough to look down and see you)… OR… you aren’t doing a thing with the MGs because they are out of range leaving you with just 2 MPLs. If you insist on staying with the two MPLs, then I suggest changing the HMGs to LMGs to match the range of the MPLs.

Consider this build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a280633dd1cd57

This has been my R60 go to for a while now. Before LFEs I used a XL170 with a BAP. If you don’t like the ERPPC, then you have a lot of ways to use the 7 tons. LPL or a SPPC or x2LPPC which will both grant you 1t left over for DHS or ammo.

Though the LMGs of course can’t match the range of the ERPPC, they serve the purpose of harassment and crit seeking during the peeps cooldown. Of course if you’d rather have a little more “plink-plink”, you can up the LMGs to normal MGs but you will have to be more mindful of range.

#7 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:32 AM

Your build is more of a late-game setup. You can spend the first part of the match protecting the Assault mechs, then go in and finish off enemies stripped of armor. Unfortunately, if your team gets taken out quickly, your armament is a bit weak to take on mechs that still have most of their armor.

That said, I like the loadout and will try it out, replacing the light machine guns with regular ones.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#8 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

Thanks guys, all great suggestion so far, I will test it out again. :)

#9 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:10 AM

@ op.

I would do this build. The ERML and LPL have similar ranges and burn times so you can put your damage on target easier. The LMGs have a decent range which will allow you to be annoying and farm crits without getting into the danger zone. Consider getting your structure and armor tree up first.

Edited by nehebkau, 13 February 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#10 Broganos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 128 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

A standard large laser goes well with an ER medium and is lighter than the large pulse laser.

#11 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:37 AM

View PostZh0u, on 13 February 2018 - 03:50 AM, said:

I am currently running this build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0b7edc4d2c0e654

But generally I am doing very badly in it, my damage & W/L ratio is abysmal and I die far too fast at times.

I have tried to stick with the big boys on the field, and I tried to flank, basically I tried many stuff, and still I do badly.

I know its not the mech, its the pilot. But I really trying to like this mech. Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

Hello again, Zhou :)

When you're in a light, you do light 'mech things. You know this, but it takes practice. Light 'mech things:

1) Sticking with other lights to make a pack
2) Using your pack to kill smaller numbers of enemy lights
3) Do a strafing run (just run by one time) on an enemy mech with stripped armor and hit it with your MGs to destroy components
4) If you see a friend engaged in a 1-v-1 with another mech, run behind the enemy mech and shoot it in the butt while your friend distracts it
5) Cap points on Conquest, preferably with a pack
6) If your team is peeking and they have the enemy team's attention, you can peek, too.
7) Finishing off weakened enemies who do not have support from the enemy team.
8) Stay alive until the end of the match, when there are only damaged players on both sides, and help finish off the enemy.

You will notice most of those numbered points rely on you only engaging when you have a crushing advantage (for example, point 7 relies on you attacking a weak enemy who is alone). That's just life for light 'mechs, because the only fair fight you can win is against another light mech, and that's not worth doing because other lights will just leg you (or critically wound you), and then anything 40 tons or heavier is going to one-shot you.

To play light 'mechs correctly, you must be incredibly annoying, and never take fair fights - only unfair ones, in your advantage.

#12 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostBroganos, on 13 February 2018 - 10:32 AM, said:

A standard large laser goes well with an ER medium and is lighter than the large pulse laser.

The LPL has more damage, and syncs duration and range with the ML which is important for poking and twisting damage as well as keeping your beam on target.

#13 Tier5ForLife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

REAL Urbie pilots use the "magic engine" it comes standard with. I mean, it weights MINUS 2 and 1/2 tons!

Plus it is funny to come in at 32 kph and basically be ignored until you shoot someone.

#14 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostWater Bear, on 13 February 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Hello again, Zhou Posted Image

When you're in a light, you do light 'mech things. You know this, but it takes practice. Light 'mech things:

1) Sticking with other lights to make a pack
2) Using your pack to kill smaller numbers of enemy lights
3) Do a strafing run (just run by one time) on an enemy mech with stripped armor and hit it with your MGs to destroy components
4) If you see a friend engaged in a 1-v-1 with another mech, run behind the enemy mech and shoot it in the butt while your friend distracts it
5) Cap points on Conquest, preferably with a pack
6) If your team is peeking and they have the enemy team's attention, you can peek, too.
7) Finishing off weakened enemies who do not have support from the enemy team.
8) Stay alive until the end of the match, when there are only damaged players on both sides, and help finish off the enemy.

You will notice most of those numbered points rely on you only engaging when you have a crushing advantage (for example, point 7 relies on you attacking a weak enemy who is alone). That's just life for light 'mechs, because the only fair fight you can win is against another light mech, and that's not worth doing because other lights will just leg you (or critically wound you), and then anything 40 tons or heavier is going to one-shot you.

To play light 'mechs correctly, you must be incredibly annoying, and never take fair fights - only unfair ones, in your advantage.

Wow, these are really great pointers and tips generally for all light players.

#15 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

View PostZh0u, on 13 February 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

I hope they prove useful. Good luck out there!

#16 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:56 PM

View PostZh0u, on 13 February 2018 - 02:45 PM, said:

Just remember though that the Urbanmech is one of the handful of mechs that doesn't play like its class. The Urbanmech is essentially a 30 ton medium mech, so it plays best if you play it like a medium mech. There is some overlap in light and medium mech job duties, but you don't want to be straying too far from your team. Even with a max engine the Urbie doesn't have the speed to go out on its own to harass the enemy because you can get run down and overwhelmed by a quick medium (or even worse, a 65 ton Linebacker).

The Urbanmech also has similar armour to a 45 ton mech so it can take a hit or two that a normal light couldn't take when you absolutely need it to.

#17 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:52 AM

Consider giving yourself more range, as that tends to increase survivability.

Eg, try changing the HMGs to LMGs, the Medium Pulses for a Large and ER Medium (or a pair of LPPCs) and increase the engine to a 180.

#18 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

@ OP

One final piece of advice.... consider not using the MGs. I know you look at 4 ballistic slots and thing wow 4 MGs, but MGs are still not that great in anything under 6-count and, they require you to have excessive face-time with your target. (Face time is where you stare directly at your target and it is when your mech is the most vulnerable to getting critically injured.) I have watched many new players just stare at me firing their MGs while I get time to do an easy head-shot or core them out and their mg-rounds just scratch my armor.

An AC5 or an AC2 with ERMLs would be a far more effective choice for this urbie. Remember! Just because you have the weapon hard points DOESN'T mean you need, or should, use them.

#19 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:13 AM

My recommendation is scrapping the HMG for standard or light versions and upgrading the lasers to standard large. Also you have way too much machine gun ammo. Finally swap out the engine for an XL. Two energy hardpoints is grossly deficient for short or medium range combat, you need three or more which is better built on the other Urbanmech variants.

170XL
2x JJ
2x LLAS
4x MG with one ton
armor 208/210

Edited by Spheroid, 14 February 2018 - 10:30 AM.

#20 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

I found the following thread an invaluable resource for urbie builds:
https://mwomercs.com...3-urbie-builds/

Other that that, the urbie is a slow light - but since OP already talked about "sticking to the big guys and flanking" I won't reiterate on that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users