Black Lanner Question

33 replies to this topic

#21 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:43 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 February 2018 - 08:35 AM, said:

What do you guys think, 5 ER ML, 4 MGs (1.5t) 13 DHS, or 12 DHS and ECM?

Will depend on the set of 8 quirks on that one variant I guess.

Dude, I'm pretty sure you can fit more dhs on that.
5 t for er med
2.5 tons for mg+ammo

Leaves 6.5ish tons?

Coz otherwise 3 externals is gonna have damned hard time keeping those temps down

Edited by JackalBeast, 16 February 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#22 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostAn Innocent Urbie, on 16 February 2018 - 12:52 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So glad I cancelled the preorder.

#23 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

View PostZergling, on 15 February 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

With about 14 tons of weapons tonnage, I'm pretty sure the only useful builds will revolve around medium/small lasers and/or SRMs.
Eg, 6x ER Small + 3x SRM6 with Artemis.

It could also do stuff like 3x ER Large/Heavy Large or 2x ER PPC/Large Pulse, but without jumpjets it won't be able to get into sniper positions like the Shadow Cat as easily, nor will it be able to poptart.

It has 11.5 tons free if you fully armour it... Yes it is that under armoured stock, that isn't even enough to mount two cLPL/cERPPC... it's enough to do 2 cERLL/cHLL with some extra DHS... Make no mistake, this is a mech that is going to live or die by SPL/HSL/cERSL spam alone, as it doesn't have the tonnage to do much else.

There is a reason why I shake my head at the Black Lanner, it has less tonnage for weapons (13t vs 14.5t) at less armour value (stock 8t vs 8.5t), at the same speed (not using MASC; 7/11) as a 40t Clan Omni (the Coyotl)...

But again, to everyone that wanted the Black Lanner, I hope you enjoy it and play it longer than two weeks. I really do not begrudge anyone their pet mech, just keep in mind every mech has flaws, even if we'd like to ignore them for the sake of nostalgia.

#24 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 16 February 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Dude, I'm pretty sure you can fit more dhs on that.
5 t for er med
2.5 tons for mg+ammo

Leaves 6.5ish tons?

Coz otherwise 3 externals is gonna have damned hard time keeping those temps down

Haha! Oh yeah, cMGs are only .25t, my mistake. Perfect!

#25 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:25 AM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 February 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

Haha! Oh yeah, cMGs are only .25t, my mistake. Perfect!

That is running under armored as Metus pointed out, but that's with the assumed 14 tons of 'viable space, which is then more likely close to 12.5-13 tons to feel comfy.

#26 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 16 February 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

That is running under armored as Metus pointed out, but that's with the assumed 14 tons of 'viable space, which is then more likely close to 12.5-13 tons to feel comfy.

I'll do 14 DHS, that will be fine with skill tree and double cool shot.

#27 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 16 February 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

As I said in another thread, it's going to shine in the hands of someone that is strong at cavalry type play, for Johnny Average pilot, this thing is going to constantly under-perform for them and they are going to whine about it till the cows come home.

#28 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:46 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 February 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

As I said in another thread, it's going to shine in the hands of someone that is strong at cavalry type play, for Johnny Average pilot, this thing is going to constantly under-perform for them and they are going to whine about it till the cows come home.

Yep. This is gonna be fun for the hardcore ranger, and those that enjoy the challenge.
Just really not looking forward to the first 15 or so games in one, til it gets some pointage.

#29 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 16 February 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

Yep. This is gonna be fun for the hardcore ranger, and those that enjoy the challenge.
Just really not looking forward to the first 15 or so games in one, til it gets some pointage.

Like I said, if you are someone that does well in Dragons / Ice Ferrets / Shadow Cats, then this mech will be solid for you, if not.... Well perhaps look at something else?

As it stands I'm expecting the boards to be extra salty after it gets released into the play area, not from people calling it OP, but not being happy with it... That 6E arm is going to get stripped off fast and once that goes, the threat ranking drops exponentially.

#30 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

I think it looks really cool, though functionally it probably would have been better off less beefy looking from the front.
Side profile looks pretty slim....now if only it could hold weapons Posted Image

#31 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 February 2018 - 09:10 AM, said:

It has 11.5 tons free if you fully armour it... Yes it is that under armoured stock, that isn't even enough to mount two cLPL/cERPPC... it's enough to do 2 cERLL/cHLL with some extra DHS... Make no mistake, this is a mech that is going to live or die by SPL/HSL/cERSL spam alone, as it doesn't have the tonnage to do much else.

Oh right, I screwed up.

I guess something like 2x SRM6 with Artemis, 2 tons of ammo, 4x Heavy Medium Lasers might work... but that is gonna be hella hot.
Alternatively, 3x SRM4 with Artemis, 3 tons of ammo and 5x ER Small.

I think this mech is gonna need a -10% weapons heat gen quirk to be at all viable.

#32 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 15 February 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

What do you mean, what's wrong with the Thanatos?

*ducks and runs out the emergency exit.

Hey, I love Uziels and do well in them.

The Thanatos however is so bad. Too big and not fast enough to do anything but hide the darn thing. This makes me sad.

But hey, it is getting armor quirks.....

#33 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

Well PGI have managed to do it again - deeply disappointed with the Fat Clanner. We wanted a tall leggy model with nice guns and got a short chubby one with big guns.

Really what is up with the modellers at PGI all this year and the last they've take some lovely concept art and royally ****** it up when they come to the 3D model. Get someone better ffs!

Edited by Dogstar, 18 February 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#34 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostZergling, on 16 February 2018 - 07:48 PM, said:

but that is gonna be hella hot.

What about 2 SRM6a and 6 MGs?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users