Is The Locust Useless?

Balance

123 replies to this topic

#1 Officer Kyle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

I really like the look of the Locust. Ir's like an AT-ST from StarWars. The first one even has a pretty cool weapon arrangement with those 4 machineguns.

But playing games in it, I can't help but feel wholly useless. Even other light mechs have way heavier armaments than 20 tons. I went up against another light mech...he has like 6 beam weapons and two machineguns. Here I am trying to defeat him with 4 heavy machineguns...

I don't have ECM or jump jets or....anything really that the Locust has over any other mechs. It seems wholly inferior.

Am I wrong? Can anyone tell me what the strength or niche of the Locust is? I'd really like to use this mech in a viable manner.

Edited by Sir Kyle, 16 February 2018 - 03:09 AM.

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:19 AM

The strength it has is it's mobility, it's speed, it's very small, you get a pirates-bane with ECM and Stealth Armor, you're sure hard to pin down .I ran 2x LPPC with Pirates Bane with XL170 and Stealth Armor, i never was good with it using lasers. It never did racked up a lot of damage, but i sure pestered my enemies.

Personally, just not really something that you drop that racks high score automatically as i found out. Best build that i saw working are 5 ERML and 5 ML, others can make 6x SPL work. I'm just never good with it, but I could see how it could be used. I'm not the type that can make it rack so much score, so i use it as objective-cow, get batteries, get resource points, get bases.

I wouldn't say that it's not viable, but then again i couldn't make it work really well. With my 2x LPPC build, i literally average around 200 - 300 damage without strikes. The only conclusion i could give you is that, it's not something you should be running without good experience or skill maneuvering small and fragile lights, cause it's going to be really frustrating dying early.

LPPC sure need buffs.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 16 February 2018 - 03:23 AM.

#3 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:23 AM

What is funny about all "Lights are useless" threads - is that guys ask 'Mechs, that cost 1.5M CB or $3 and require 10-15 matches to be bought, to be as viable, as 'Mechs, that cost 15M CB or $30 and require 100-150 matches to be bought.

You just should realize one simple thing - it's cheapest 'Mech in whole game. It just shouldn't be good.

Edited by MrMadguy, 16 February 2018 - 03:24 AM.

#4 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:27 AM

Ur not suppose to fight a light mech with the Locust. Go fight something that dosnt turn around fast enough to keep up with you

#5 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

Locust is pretty good but it's all about it's speed & agility + small size. In particular assaults can have trouble tracking it.

#6 Officer Kyle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 February 2018 - 03:19 AM, said:

The strength it has is it's mobility, it's speed, it's very small, you get a pirates-bane with ECM and Stealth Armor, you're sure hard to pin down .I ran 2x LPPC with Pirates Bane with XL170 and Stealth Armor, i never was good with it using lasers. It never did racked up a lot of damage, but i sure pestered my enemies.

Personally, just not really something that you drop that racks high score automatically as i found out. Best build that i saw working are 5 ERML and 5 ML, others can make 6x SPL work. I'm just never good with it, but I could see how it could be used. I'm not the type that can make it rack so much score, so i use it as objective-cow, get batteries, get resource points, get bases.

I wouldn't say that it's not viable, but then again i couldn't make it work really well. With my 2x LPPC build, i literally average around 200 - 300 damage without strikes. The only conclusion i could give you is that, it's not something you should be running without good experience or skill maneuvering small and fragile lights, cause it's going to be really frustrating dying early.

LPPC sure need buffs.

A little off topic but I see you have that Urbanmech in your sig. I really like the UM-K9s police look. Is that one any good?

View PostMrMadguy, on 16 February 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

What is funny about all "Lights are useless" threads - is that guys ask 'Mechs, that cost 1.5M CB or $3 and require 10-15 matches to be bought, to be as viable, as 'Mechs, that cost 15M CB or $30 and require 100-150 matches to be bought.

You just should realize one simple thing - it's cheapest 'Mech in whole game. It just shouldn't be good.

It's also the coolest looking mech in the whole game. Everything should be viable.

View Postradiv, on 16 February 2018 - 03:27 AM, said:

Ur not suppose to fight a light mech with the Locust. Go fight something that dosnt turn around fast enough to keep up with you

I guess that's the best answer I'm probably gonna get. Still, it sucks to be hunted by other light mechs.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:02 AM

View PostSir Kyle, on 16 February 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

I guess that's the best answer I'm probably gonna get. Still, it sucks to be hunted by other light mechs.

It's a 20 ton Inner Sphere mech. What did you expect?

#8 Abisha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

you using the locust wrong then they are perfect in harnessing assaults and some heavy mechs
only thing what can happen that you drop in a match with 0 assaults meaning your locust loss it's advantages

#9 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

A little off topic but I see you have that Urbanmech in your sig. I really like the UM-K9s police look. Is that one any good?

The K9 is arguably one of the best lights in the game. And it's got a police siren.

It's good.

As for the Locust, it's not useless, it's just hard. Really, really hard.

EDIT: Ok, most of the variants are useless. But that's true of most mechs. The Locust has at least two good ones.

Edited by Bombast, 16 February 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#10 Officer Kyle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:21 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 February 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

It's a 20 ton Inner Sphere mech. What did you expect?

What's wrong with Inner sphere? And why should it be limited to 20 tons? Couldn't they give it more so it can be more competitive?

View PostBombast, on 16 February 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

The K9 is arguably one of the best lights in the game. And it's got a police siren.

It's good.

EDIT: Ok, most of the variants are useless. But that's true of most mechs. The Locust has at least two good ones.

View PostBombast, on 16 February 2018 - 04:10 AM, said:

It's good.

Hmm, you may have sold me on the urban mech. I love police themes. Any good bundles for it?

#11 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:31 AM

View PostSir Kyle, on 16 February 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

Hmm, you may have sold me on the urban mech. I love police themes. Any good bundles for it?

Unfortunately, you just missed a Urbanmech/MC bundle. And a 40% Urbanmech sale.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:31 AM

View PostSir Kyle, on 16 February 2018 - 04:21 AM, said:

What's wrong with Inner sphere? And why should it be limited to 20 tons? Couldn't they give it more so it can be more competitive?

There is plenty wrong with Inner Sphere when it comes to 20 ton mechs. Lasers are pretty much all you can fit in a Locust, but Inner Sphere small and medium class lasers suck. You can't boat machine guns cause at most it has 2 4 ballistics slots, while the ******* Clan Piranha has up to 12 MG slots. Oh, and you also suffer from all the downsides of IS XL engine on an already fragile mech.

As for why should it be limited to 20 tons, Locust is by lore a 20 ton mech. That is the highest it will go. You want bigger tonnage, pilot other mechs.

Edited by El Bandito, 16 February 2018 - 04:57 AM.

#13 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:32 AM

the only legit light is the Urbie

it has the height of Peter Dinklage
with the pain tolerance of Brock Lesnar

#14 BenAran

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:35 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 16 February 2018 - 03:23 AM, said:

If it were a single player game, this statement would hold true.
But if you go by this logic, we arrive at the state of game that Battlefield Hardline was, which was essentially an FPS but had the fundamentals of an MMORPG:
You grind more than the other guy, you get a better weapon.
That is not how an online shooter works, for multiple reasons:
1: It would entirely favour older players.
2: It would make the existence of anything other than an assault pointless
3: It screws around the balance.

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:43 AM

Best variant actually, most energy hardpoint that caters to meta builds, has a single ballistic hardpoints for large ballistics to be paired with a lot of small lasers, has two ct hardpoints that you can zombie with it if you're that hard-core. And then the Police Lights and Siren.

Do yourself a favor and get one.

#16 Officer Kyle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

View PostBombast, on 16 February 2018 - 04:31 AM, said:

Unfortunately, you just missed a Urbanmech/MC bundle. And a 40% Urbanmech sale.

Well crap. Think a sale like that will come around again anytime soon?

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 February 2018 - 04:31 AM, said:

There is plenty wrong with Inner Sphere when it comes to 20 ton mechs. Lasers are pretty much all you can fit in a Locust, but Inner Sphere small and medium class lasers suck. You can't boat machine guns cause at most it has 2 ballistics slots, while the ******* Clan Piranha has up to 12 MG slots. Oh, and you also suffer from all the downsides of IS XL engine on an already fragile mech.

As for why should it be limited to 20 tons, Locust is by lore a 20 ton mech. That is the highest it will go. You want bigger tonnage, pilot other mechs.

For the record my V1 Locust has 4 ballistic slots. They could at least give it some kind of passive boosts to it's weapons that are good enough to compensate for it's shortcomings.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 16 February 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

Best variant actually, most energy hardpoint that caters to meta builds, has a single ballistic hardpoints for large ballistics to be paired with a lot of small lasers, has two ct hardpoints that you can zombie with it if you're that hard-core. And then the Police Lights and Siren.

Do yourself a favor and get one.

I just may do that.

#17 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:54 AM

View PostSir Kyle, on 16 February 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

For the record my V1 Locust has 4 ballistic slots. They could at least give it some kind of passive boosts to it's weapons that are good enough to compensate for it's shortcomings.

Oh yeah, the 1V. The mech that sucks so much at anything other than single big laser, that I even forgot its ballistic mounts existed. :P

#18 roekenny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:59 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 February 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

Oh yeah, the 1V. The mech that sucks so much at anything other than single big laser, that I even forgot its ballistic mounts existed. Posted Image

Funny thing is they nerfed it a while back for some stupid reason???

Edited by roekenny, 16 February 2018 - 04:59 AM.

#19 Officer Kyle

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:03 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 16 February 2018 - 04:54 AM, said:

Oh yeah, the 1V. The mech that sucks so much at anything other than single big laser, that I even forgot its ballistic mounts existed. Posted Image

I've been trying to use it with 4 Heavy Machineguns and a tag laser. Don't be mean, It tries so hard.

View Postroekenny, on 16 February 2018 - 04:59 AM, said:

Funny thing is they nerfed it a while back for some stupid reason???

They nerfed it?! Why?

#20 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:07 AM

View PostBenAran, on 16 February 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

If it were a single player game, this statement would hold true.
But if you go by this logic, we arrive at the state of game that Battlefield Hardline was, which was essentially an FPS but had the fundamentals of an MMORPG:
You grind more than the other guy, you get a better weapon.
That is not how an online shooter works, for multiple reasons:
1: It would entirely favour older players.
2: It would make the existence of anything other than an assault pointless
3: It screws around the balance.

Ok, performances are normalized, cuz "It's online shooter - not single player game or MMORPG". But why costs aren't normalized then? Costs come from single player game too, but all of a sudden they aren't normalized or removed. Conclusion: we will talk about balance only when PGI will "balance" CB/MC 'Mech costs. Till then - more expensive 'Mech, that requires more $$$ or grind to get = better 'Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users