75 replies to this topic

#41 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 17 February 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Yeah. That's kind of where I was going with this thread.

to what purpose though?

If PGI had any intention of fixing mech imbalance they wouldnt need 7 different divisions for solaris

they would only need 1 division if all mechs were balanced

#42 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

I have 157 'Mechs. You will find me mostly in Mist Lynxes, Locusts, Blackjacks, Marauders, Riflemen, and Nightstars. Occasionally the Shadow Cat, Roughneck, Mauler, or Battlemaster will come out and play. Ugh.

What really grinds my gears is that builds that were fun and effective are completely garbage now. Like, my MLX-B with 2x SRM4 and 3x SPL? I used to love that, now the damage is so spread and the alpha is so low that it just doesn't work. Even with HSLs it doesn't work.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 17 February 2018 - 03:27 PM.

#43 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,887 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostKhobai, on 17 February 2018 - 03:16 PM, said:

to what purpose though?

If PGI had any intention of fixing mech imbalance they wouldnt need 7 different divisions for solaris

they would only need 1 division if all mechs were balanced

Curiosity to see what others consider their baseline mechs. I mean, obviously a perusal of the responses that folks are providing is that of mechs which are clearly better than fine. I don't need to be told for example that the WLF-2 is better -its one of the top performing lights that the IS has (there are plenty of clanner posts complaining of its OPness for example). What I need to know is what folks think is maybe another mech other than the WLF-2 that maybe isn't as good but still worth playing in its bracket. Being educated as to what else isn't absolute crap might give me a reason to try something other than the handful of mechs that I still play.

Edited by Bud Crue, 17 February 2018 - 03:24 PM.

#44 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,252 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:23 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 February 2018 - 03:20 PM, said:

I have 157 'Mechs. You will find me mostly in Mist Lynxes, Locusts, Blackjacks, Marauders, Riflemen, and Nightstars. Occasionally the Shadow Cat, Roughneck, Mauler, or Battlemaster will come out and play. Ugh.

What really grinds my gears is that builds that were fun and effective are completely garbage now. Like, my MLX-B with 2x SRM4 and 3x LPL? I used to love that, now the damage is so spread and the alpha is so low that it just doesn't work. Even with HSLs it doesn't work.

No ANH-1X? You should try it... its sexy.

#45 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:25 PM

What really grinds my gears is that builds that were fun and effective are completely garbage now. Like, my MLX-B with 2x SRM4 and 3x LPL? I used to love that, now the damage is so spread and the alpha is so low that it just doesn't work. Even with HSLs it doesn't work.

How the heck did you get triple LPL on a Mist Lynx? :P

#46 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

View PostFupDup, on 17 February 2018 - 03:25 PM, said:

How the heck did you get triple LPL on a Mist Lynx? Posted Image

Don't tell Paul!

Posted Image

View PostGas Guzzler, on 17 February 2018 - 03:23 PM, said:

No ANH-1X? You should try it... its sexy.

I have one, and it is! I've had some awesome games in it. But...I just don't do Assaults much. I'm very much a "mobility is my weapon" player.

Which makes me liking the Nightstar, problems be damned, very weird, because it is not a nimble beast.

#47 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:33 PM

In general mechs with low hardpoint points, really bad weapon combos, and low agility tend to be irredeemably bad if they don't have some bonus quirks to either make them super durable or super high firepower.

#48 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,887 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, for me its Nova, Hellbringer, Linebacker, Mad-IIc, on the clan side. For IS Griffin 2N, Quickdraw 5Ks, Bounty Hunter, the Loyalty Vic and Jester. Yes I play a smattering of others (Illya, Jagger S and FB or if I have to drop tonnage a Cicada or Wolfhound) but its pretty much 1-3 of those on a given evening of play.

YES! Most of my old Quickdraw builds are useless. Nearly all of my IS assaults are a waste. Mixed builds in general are even worse now (thanks skills tree!) than they have ever been. All my Locusts save maybe 2, may as well beeliminated from the game since the loss or reductions of their quirks has rendered them irrelevant; not just not as good, but irrelevant.

#49 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Shadowhawk-2D has been interesting for me (after playing Hunchback-4SP almost 100% of the time), having played it starting a month and a half ago: SHADOW HAWK SHD-2D 115 76 39 1.95 149 68 2.19 73,603 167,040 12:15:16

I'm leveraging the ballistic cooldown quirk to use an AC20 with SRM4's, so that their cooldowns are nearly aligned. This makes it interesting when fighting at short-range against enemies who have weapons with 4+ second cooldowns, because sometimes I can squeeze two shots in before their weapons finish cycling for their own second shot.

Now that I've got 100+ games in it, I think the mech is OK. Certainly not a top performer, light on ammunition (which I compensated for by taking both magazine nodes and both missile rack nodes)... but it's good enough to have fun with in QP. It does seem to catch alot of hits to the CT, despite my use of instantaneously-firing weapons. They recently gave it additional arm structure quirks, but it could probably have used extra CT structure instead.

The HBK-4SP, by contrast, takes less hits to the CT despite me using Medium Lasers and dealing with the extra face-time for the burn.

The AC20/SRM slow velocity also makes it hard to hit lights and more nimble mediums, and even heavies can be difficult to hit at the edge of optimal range. In games where I find myself shooting mostly at lights and mediums, or shooting at near optimal range, I get very little damage done. It is more effective shooting at bigger targets up closer, but that's danger close trying to trade punches with heavies and assaults. It acts as a good wingman for another "manly" assault, since you can corner with him or JJ over his shoulder to add to his firepower.

The arms actually are decent shields (as opposed to, say, the Hunchback-4SP's skinny arms), so although it does catch a lot of CT hits if you're trying to actively engage, if you're just fully shielding 100% of the time, the arms are perfect for that. Just make sure to turn your legs aside so people can't shoot you in the crotch.

#50 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm no pro but from what i've played, i own 141 mechs

Wolfhounds
Urbies
Commandos
Panthers

Assassins
Trebuchet
Blackjacks
Enforcers
Hunchbacks
Crabs

Warhammers
Riflemen
Jaigermechs
Marauders
Grasshoppers
Thunderbolts
Catapults
Cataphracts

King Crabs
Cyclops
Maulers

All seem to be in an better than Average spot atm.. All clan mechs perform better than these IS mechs

Edited by Samial, 17 February 2018 - 05:09 PM.

#51 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:06 PM

Catapult K2 with over 700,000 xp on it. Other ballistic mechs might do some builds better now days but K2 was first and still solid gun mech. It's been my go to i-feel-like-bfg-ac-now mech for years. I change builds on it all the time. It might be my first mech where I get more than 106 nodes 'unlocked.'

My jenner is the same way but split between the founder D and Sarah D. Not the best now but still sees a lot of action.

#52 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 February 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

Don't tell Paul!

Posted Image

I have one, and it is! I've had some awesome games in it. But...I just don't do Assaults much. I'm very much a "mobility is my weapon" player.

Which makes me liking the Nightstar, problems be damned, very weird, because it is not a nimble beast.

It does feel nimble compared to other Assaults, its just so damn easy to kill sadly.

#53 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:46 PM

"Ok" and but not necessarily "great" mechs?

Blackjacks and Hunchbacks fit in here easily. New tech has added a few nice weapons. In particular I like a sort of superstock 4H with a UAC10 while the Blackjack-1 running RACs is fun in pugs. The Light Engines has really helped the Shadowhawks in my eyes with the new ballistics, missiles, and energy you can run a fun, decent mixed loadout. Nothing here is amazing but they're alright and fun.

Haven't really piloted my Centurions enough lately to place them firmly but I think that MRMs and Rocket Launchers give them a huge boost, enough to mitigate at least some portion of their growing obsolesence. Snubnose PPCs are pretty fun on my AL as well and I intend on figuring out of HPPCs are any good with it.. Again though, haven't played enough to get a good impression.

I haven't messed around with my Vindicators enough with Heavy PPCs and MRMs to give a solid statement on them but the new UACs, RACs, and Snubnose PPCs have been giving them a workout. They're still far from being a standout but I think that they might be in "ok" territory.

For lights, the Ravens. MRMs the new MGs are nice for the hero Raven that I have. Slapping the RAC5 on it is also pretty fun during pugging, especially with that nice 30% bonus to earnings. ERMLs and MRMs work pretty well on the 2X together for a punch of 40 damage at about 115 KPH, making it an excellent partner for brawler medium.The hero Commando TDK does reasonably well, though I feel that the other Commandos just aren't worth running even for fun anymore. I really want the C variant just so I can mix in some MGs and MLs on an IS light other than a paper thin without hocking up for an Ember.

#54 chucklesMuch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 17 February 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Yeah. That's kind of where I was going with this thread. 197 mechs in my current collection and I play about 20 occasionally and about 8 regularly. I used to run through the whole lot and then start over. Not sure when that changed. I think it was last May and the skills tree, but it may have been earlier than that to be honest.

On a positive I looked at some of the mechs on Yeonne's list that have and don't currently play and dropped in thunderbolt for half a dozen games...

Tangent: Maybe PGI is hoping to bore us out of laser vomit... I find myself frequently looking for alternatives after months of heavy & erml lasers.

#55 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

The only mech i'd say that doesn't really need any TLC asap and would consider "fine" is the Crab.

#56 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:16 AM

I like the way most of the mechs operate with the desync and without any nodes added.

My opinion is that most everything under assault still needs to have their agility lowered a bit further if anything, but I'd rather have the game angle much further towards sim than arcade shooter.

#57 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

I've been trying to make something out of 2xLG, using a MAD-5M. I haven't really played my IS account in a while, but lately I've really been enjoying this mech. Not that it feels OP; I get creamed in it when I screw up, but it handles well and the ballistic mounts are positioned nicely. JJ are good, too. Things that may be skewing my opinion:

I'm coming off my MAD IIC-D on this account, which comparatively makes the MAD 5M feel nimble.
This account is T2; my IS account is T4. So I'm probably enjoying easier play against less-skilled opponents. It'll be interesting to see how this build fares as this account advances in tier.

i myself don't keep a lot of mechs on either this or my IS account. All together I think I might have less than 20, and a lot of those are loyalty mechs and other promotionals that I've never run. I get one that feels good and start jerking around with the skill tree and run it exclusive until something else comes along that I like.

#58 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:12 AM

I would say:

Orion
Timberwolf
Thunderbolt
Marauder
Warhawk
Awesome

are all in the 'Fine' range. They aren't overwhelming but they can do good work. I don't have any mediums or lights in there because with the exception of the extreme outliers (which are beyond 'fine') they tend to be pretty underwhelming. There are probably a few more 'fine' 'mechs but these are the ones that I'm familiar with.

#59 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:20 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 February 2018 - 02:55 PM, said:

The thread about the Atlas needing more armor:
https://mwomercs.com...-an-armor-buff/

The thread about the Locust being useless:
https://mwomercs.com...locust-useless/

The Nightstar under performing:
https://mwomercs.com...der-preforming/

Clans in general being whoa is me nerfed:
https://mwomercs.com...yond-any-limit/

And those are just this week's complaints.

So I gotta question:
Can ya all give me a mech (variant or whole chassis if ya have one) that ya think is just fine, or pretty good but not great, or about where it ought to be, or god forbid is in your humble opinion "balanced" (and if you answer in terms of "balanced" how or relative to what is it balanced)?

I think Atlases, Locusts and most Clan Mechs are working quite well. Some Clan Mechs might be slightly OP still, while I’m still struggling to find a good use for the energy Piranhas which would not vastly underperform compared to the ballistic one… but it might as well be of PIR-1’s problem.

#60 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 10:56 AM

View PostKuaron, on 18 February 2018 - 10:20 AM, said:

I’m still struggling to find a good use for the energy Piranhas which would not vastly underperform compared to the ballistic one… but it might as well be of PIR-1’s problem.

Yeah, that's the PIR-1 being power-creep. The PIR-3 with 4x cMPL should perform essentially the same as the LCT-1E with 6x MedLas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users