Don't Think I Can Play 12V12 Anymore With Hit-Reg/net-Code Issues At This Point

72 replies to this topic

#21 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:35 AM

Better off giving your money to the homeless or starving tbh.

Reg in this game has always been suspect. How many times i have had lasers shot at me, stepped backwards so i drop down behind scenery and yet the dmagage registers a full burn. I used to see shots go thru me all the time, sometimes shot in the front regs the back, sometimes not at all. And like the rest i have seen my weapons totally fail to reg.

#22 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 21 February 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

Disconnects in general have funky hitreg, to the point where sometimes it takes Streaks or other guided weaponry to make a significant amount of hits on-target.

Didnt they make changes specifically to DC so you cannot farm headshots?

Think they did....

So, you cannot claim hitreg issues when those 'issues' are designed into the target your shooting.

#23 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:20 AM

I haven't really observed hitreg issues. Im not that great at shooting either.

#24 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:27 AM

I only got issues with PPCs sometimes, the magical go through which sucks.
My main cause of grief is Alpine (the map), the hilltops are all ****** up I just dont bring PPCs there anymore, tired of getting shot by ERLs without beeing able to trade back. They should be able to fix a map with much less effort than the net-code, but they just cant be arsed.

#25 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:49 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 22 February 2018 - 04:20 AM, said:

I haven't really observed hitreg issues. Im not that great at shooting either.

I'm with ya.. I really don't notice any hit-reg issues. Maybe cause i don't fire huge clusters of weapons all at once? typically i fire 3-4, sometimes i'll fire 5 or 6 lasers, but most of my mechs weapons are in groups of around 4. The only mechs i have that i boat up more than that are machine gun mechs and i never see any hit reg issues with them.

though maybe i will start to blame them for all my bad matches.. Yea it was hit-reg.. that must be why i only did 150 damage and 2 assists.. Yea that's the ticket... curse you PGI, your making me look bad!

#26 Retiarius

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSW Germany

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

Just a few minutes ago it took five volleys of 4SRM4-A and 2SRM6-A in the back of a cicada to bring it down. Two of them to a still standing Mech at 25m range, three on the chase.

If you want to see hitreg issues get yourself a MRM30 launcher, equip it to a Mech and go to testing ground Tourmaline Desert. Shoot the Atlas at your spawn point in the back..report.
The damage transfer from back to front happens every time. Far more rare it happens that front damage will be transfered to the back. But it happens sometimes. In this szenario we have only one Mecht producing partikels and everything takes place in my computer. My conclusion 8vs8 would not do any better.

#27 WhineyThePoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

If you notice that you miss allot there are a few steps you can take.
1. Git gud.
2. Stop playing on a baked potato and get a real computer, its easier to play with 120 fps instead of 12.
3. Get rid of that old dial up modem and get a proper fiber connection.

And even if you take the above steps you will still have sync issues, it takes time for your computer to communicate with the server you know. At least until we are all on a quantum computer network or something.

#28 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:51 AM

Being Aussie the hit reg when my ping is 300 is very poor, not sure why PGI can't or wont solve these issues..

#29 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:53 AM

Only time I notice...or more accurately: suspect...hit reg issues are with PPCs at moderate range that occasionally seem to phase through the target, and firing large MRM volleys at lights which every once in awhile seem to take little damage even at point blank ranges.

I suspect the former is due to odd mech geometry (PPC going through the tiny waist of a Griffin or under the arm of a Warhammer, etc) and the latter a consequence of too much crap (scores of missiles) for the game to properly track.

One thing I have noticed which seems to counter some of this suspected “overwhelming of the hit tracking” issues, is to chain fire things like rockets or large MRM launchers and suddenly my damage appears much more spot on and effective. Solution to PPCs is that I just don’t run them very often so I no longer really care.

#30 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:19 AM

Its not hit reg. Its people not understanding ping. You people are missing your targets because they arent there. If you have over 80 ping the delay is extremly noticable. Remember 100 ping is about 1 tenth of a second in an fps that is an eternity. Mechs can move a full body length in that time span.

I get 18-35 ping on average in NA. I have no hit reg problems there. I end up on euro server with 120 ping i notice i have to lead more and instant hit weapons like lasers become harder to pinpoint with. There is nothing pgi can do to fix this other than split the pop into even more regional servers they dont have ths resources or the population to support that.

#31 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:32 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 22 February 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

Didnt they make changes specifically to DC so you cannot farm headshots?

Think they did....

So, you cannot claim hitreg issues when those 'issues' are designed into the target your shooting.

jup!

notice, that upon reconnectiong of the pilot the hitreg works again.

Edited by Cara Carcass, 22 February 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#32 Big MO

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 87 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:57 AM

Yes, ping is a huge factor. Leaving MRMS out of the discussion because they are just horribly bugged, my ping is all over the place from day to day, some days I get close to 50 ms, others as bad as 150 ms. My ping has to be below 70 ms to accurately register PPC shots. Above that, I see weird issues with being able to hit even stationary mechs. When the ping gets as bad as 120 or so, absolutely no point in bringing anything but lasers. SRMs are a bit more forgiving than PPCs, but nowhere near as good as lasers. I'm sure the numbers will vary for everyone. My frame rate is roughly 50 fps, depending on map.

#33 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

View PostWhineyThePoo, on 22 February 2018 - 05:29 AM, said:

If you notice that you miss allot there are a few steps you can take.
1. Git gud.
2. Stop playing on a baked potato and get a real computer, its easier to play with 120 fps instead of 12.
3. Get rid of that old dial up modem and get a proper fiber connection.

And even if you take the above steps you will still have sync issues, it takes time for your computer to communicate with the server you know. At least until we are all on a quantum computer network or something.

1. I am good. that match I pulled out a 935 dmg with multiple kills. I am not a potato player. I'm actually decent. go check the older leaderboards.
2. I'm playing on a good computer. 60+ fps.
3. I don't have dial up modem. I have Xfinity, with an upload speed of 15mb/s wifi, 100mb/s Ethernet. it's good internet.

and that's not the issue, my computer is communicating fine with the server. no lag, no nothing.

#34 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

View PostHobbles v, on 22 February 2018 - 07:19 AM, said:

Its not hit reg. Its people not understanding ping. You people are missing your targets because they arent there. If you have over 80 ping the delay is extremly noticable. Remember 100 ping is about 1 tenth of a second in an fps that is an eternity. Mechs can move a full body length in that time span.

I get 18-35 ping on average in NA. I have no hit reg problems there. I end up on euro server with 120 ping i notice i have to lead more and instant hit weapons like lasers become harder to pinpoint with. There is nothing pgi can do to fix this other than split the pop into even more regional servers they dont have ths resources or the population to support that.

No, these enemies had similar ping, and yet my hits still failed to register.

it's not a server thing, it's a netcode thing because they decided to take cry engine and butcher the hell out of it to make this game work.

do you not remember the 170+KPH rubber banding commandoes? have you seriously forgot about that?

#35 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 21 February 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

The only real thing PGI can do at this point is revert to 8v8 to reduce the amount of potential things flying around. Their ability to tinker with things like hitreg, I fear are highly limited.

Making time of day fixed in the match would help a lot too (just have 3 different times of day - day, dusk/dawn, night) [with frames especially]. As the sun moves it forces a constant recalculation of shadows and shaders.

#36 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hit reg is good enough I can still run a light mech at 30fps on a six year old pc with an even older video card that was got second hand as a 'tester' card from the local pc repair shop. They just gave me their old 660 so it's what I use. It amazes me what the card can still do these days. I imagine any newer card would have no problems with this game's trash code. I might even get to upgrade the graphics from low and off up to medium and on. I bet the game can look sweet on newer hard ware.

#37 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 22 February 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

No, these enemies had similar ping, and yet my hits still failed to register.

it's not a server thing, it's a netcode thing because they decided to take cry engine and butcher the hell out of it to make this game work.

do you not remember the 170+KPH rubber banding commandoes? have you seriously forgot about that?

It doesnt matter if your ping is similar is similar to who you are shooting at. Ping is the amount of time it takes you to send and recieve information from the server, not enemy players. If you both have 100 ping that is far worse than if one of you had 30 and the other guy had 100. The guy with 30 will see little to no delay or hit reg problems. The guy with 100 will see notable delays. In the case of both players having 100 theyll both have delay problems, having the same ping as eachother does not mitigate this.

The mechs that shrug off damage only supports ping being the issue. Look at the mechs in this game that seem to shrug off damage easily. Commandos, assassins, pheonix hawks ice ferrets etc.... They all have absurdly high agility in relation to thier contemporaries. Its because they move greater differences in shorter amounts of time that they absorb or avoid damage more easily. In the burn time of a typical medium laser thier twisting/spreading damage over 3-4 locations in the time span it would take less agile mechs to spread it over 2-3. Poor ping makes it harder to track these mechs since if you have 100 ping they are actually 1 tenth of a second ahead of what you are seeing.

Rubber banding often occurs when people have very poor ping like 200+ or even hicups when thier ping spikes up. People end up rubberbanding when they briefly catch up to the server and the server has to process thier last 200ms worth of information in an instant, resulting in people stalling in place for say 200ms and then teleporting forward the distance they would have travelled in The time spent stalled.

My recommendation to people with consistently bad ping is to use short duration lasers and single slug balistic weapons like IS acs or any type of gauss or ppc. Since if you hit with these weapons its easier to get full damage on targets while theyre moving. All you have to do is increase lead time to match ping delay. If you use long duration weapons like heavy large or er large with bad ping against moving targets what looks like full burns directly on target my just be partial burns on target or spread over more locations.

"Im a good player! The game must be broken!" Is a damn horrendous point of view to have.

#38 undeadasharak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:46 AM

hit reg in this game had always been bad but lately it seems to have been worse then usual which is weird cause i dont think they have changed anything in the code that big recently but who knows unless pgi tell us they did we will never know but theres nothing like having your ppc shot go through one target without damaging them and hitting the guy behind him and killing him when the first mech is completely fresh

#39 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 22 February 2018 - 10:29 AM, said:

I might even get to upgrade the graphics from low and off up to medium and on.

660 is a good card. One of the best for its time. It can do MWO's medium settings, or mixed medium-high.
Here's a good tutorial about video settings

I also want to add, particles are major FPS killer, keep them at low setting. Also saves from blinding by explosions.

#40 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

View PostHobbles v, on 22 February 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

"Im a good player! The game must be broken!" Is a damn horrendous point of view to have.

But I didn't use that as an argument. someone said that if I'm missing shots I need to "get gud".

And I know about all that jazz about ping. the rubber banding commandoes came from a lack of net code being able to properly track their position and register hits.

and it's not just lasers, even streak arms; lghts and other mechs seemingly shrug off hits at times that would otherwise obliterate them completely.

there's a reason why we don't have 170KPH+ mechs, and that's because they can't do anything about the hit reg or net code because they butchered the hell out of cry engine, once again, to make this game work.

Edited by Scout Derek, 27 February 2018 - 02:34 PM.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users