My Big Issue With Solaris 7 Pack.. Why The Clan Mech? (Ohh Yea And The Firestarter Ember Copy)

49 replies to this topic

#21 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Once upon a time, PGI thought the idea of adding the Urbanmech to the game was such a ridiculous idea that they played an April Fool's joke once by announcing it. Then there was such an outcry over it that they realized that people actually really wanted the thing. Problem being that in order to really add it to the game, they had to make it viable in some manner. So they gave it an engine cap far higher than it should have had and also a pile of armor quirks. I know the Urbanmech is supposed to suck but it has such a fanbase that it is quite beloved in the battletech fandom. Otherwise, PGI wouldn't be showing it so much love I'm sure.

It turns 360 (but really the 180 is the ****) so you can face your team and wave your stubby arms as you run towards battle! Whats not to like? Posted Image

Edited by HGAK47, 22 February 2018 - 12:03 PM.

#22 Bonfor

• PipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostBombast, on 22 February 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

FW is in 3057. The rest of the game is in 3067.

If that sounds stupid, that's because 1) it is, and 2) PGI is basically stuck because units won't cooperate with the lore and the timeline basically can't progress map wise unless they strong arm the playerbase or finally throw there hands up and go 'Screw it, nothing from the books can happen now.'

Not to mention the PGI-created, non-canonical mechs...

I'm one that also runs a Clan and IS account to keep them separate for RP purposes as well as separate Unit affiliations. If the Solaris pack had cost more, I'd probably not get it for my Clan account for just the one Mad Dog, but as it is, after selling all the IS heroes, I figure I'd have around $10 mill C-bills, 6 empty mech bays worth a total of $9 and a Clan hero that would normally sell for $20 by itself, so eh...it's not a bad deal in the end for even a Clan-only account. Let's just hope in the future they don't do lots more of these IS/Clan combo packs.

#23 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostBonfor, on 22 February 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

Not to mention the PGI-created, non-canonical mechs...

Both the Roughneck and Sun Spider are 'backfill' canon.

#24 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostCygnusX7, on 22 February 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

Not enough hugs from Mom?

The useless whining gets old. Especially about free and/or cheap mech packs.
Considering the atmosphere of this forum, I don't know why I'm surprised that 7 hero mechs for $30 that would normally cost over $100 ends up with a whine thread.

There is a difference between whining and constructive criticism. I really don't read the OP as being whiny.

I have this feeling that if you post something like "never satisfied" on every thread that ever says anything critical ever, you will likely get a few post likes to go with it, whether the OP was whining or not. That's partly because this forum is full of blatant whining.

This is just not one of those times, rarity though it may be.

View PostBombast, on 22 February 2018 - 08:13 AM, said:

FW is in 3057. The rest of the game is in 3067.

If that sounds stupid, that's because 1) it is, and 2) PGI is basically stuck because units won't cooperate with the lore and the timeline basically can't progress map wise unless they strong arm the playerbase or finally throw there hands up and go 'Screw it, nothing from the books can happen now.'

Wait...are you saying that PGI wants to recreate timeline accurate maps of the Inner Sphere in FW without just hardcoding it?

What the f...

#25 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

"Clan Honour Duell" pack w/one good IS hero when? Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

I really don't understand the token clan mech either because honestly there is no way, no how that something as valuable as a Clan mech would be in civilian hands during this time line especially not for the purpose of entertainment. That would be like a civilian getting hold of a F-22 so they could use it in air races and put on display for all to inspect at an airshow, it just wouldn't happen.

#27 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Interestingly, the F-22 would be absolutely terrible at air races, which involve rapid turns in tight quarters. The F-22 would be so fast it ends up blowing right through the course marking balloons, and that's already near stall speed.

#28 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 22 February 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

I really don't understand the token clan mech either because honestly there is no way, no how that something as valuable as a Clan mech would be in civilian hands during this time line especially not for the purpose of entertainment. That would be like a civilian getting hold of a F-22 so they could use it in air races and put on display for all to inspect at an airshow, it just wouldn't happen.

I don't think it's fair to consider Solaris contestants as standard civilians. They have a lot of fame and fortune.

I'd call them more analogous to military enthusiasts in the US who own stuff like tanks and artillery.

Edited by FupDup, 22 February 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#29 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:21 PM

Never understood why people had separate accounts for clan and IS. Sounds like an inefficient use of real world funds to me. With the removal of penalties for breaking contacts in FP it seems even more pointless.

I guess for RP if you're into that?

Edited by Roughneck45, 22 February 2018 - 04:23 PM.

#30 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 22 February 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Never understood why people had separate accounts for clan and IS. Sounds like an inefficient use of real world funds to me. With the removal of penalties for breaking contacts in FP it seems ever more pointless.

Also inefficient for C-Bills and GXP.

#31 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Once upon a time, PGI thought the idea of adding the Urbanmech to the game was such a ridiculous idea that they played an April Fool's joke once by announcing it. Then there was such an outcry over it that they realized that people actually really wanted the thing. Problem being that in order to really add it to the game, they had to make it viable in some manner. So they gave it an engine cap far higher than it should have had and also a pile of armor quirks. I know the Urbanmech is supposed to suck but it has such a fanbase that it is quite beloved in the battletech fandom. Otherwise, PGI wouldn't be showing it so much love I'm sure.

Will there be Urban mech only Solaris matches though? The Urbie Derby! :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 February 2018 - 04:25 PM.

#32 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:34 AM

View PostFupDup, on 22 February 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

I don't think it's fair to consider Solaris contestants as standard civilians. They have a lot of fame and fortune
I'd call them more analogous to military enthusiasts in the US who own stuff like tanks and artillery.
I think it's incorrect to look at them in that fashion entirely. There will be some like that in the mix, but you will mainly see career MechWarriors - either mercenaries, military or ex-military.

IMO the name and appearance strongly indicate the MDD was battlefield salvage (or rebuilt from such)

#33 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:43 AM

I really don't get the racist hate for the factions customers have here.. Sure i dislike Clan as much as the next guy but does that stop me playing their mechs no..

Enjoy all of the game fellas not half of it.. That said i do agree the clan mechs are stupid overpowered.. Except that new black lanner holy hell no idea what pooch they screwed with that one...

Edited by Samial, 23 February 2018 - 04:45 AM.

#34 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:18 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 22 February 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

Again, it's not a civilian. The pilot should be a trueborn Clanner, albeit a disgraced one. The individual does actually exist within lore.

#35 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

View PostSamial, on 23 February 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

I really don't get the racist hate for the factions customers have here.. Sure i dislike Clan as much as the next guy but does that stop me playing their mechs no..

Enjoy all of the game fellas not half of it.. That said i do agree the clan mechs are stupid overpowered.. Except that new black lanner holy hell no idea what pooch they screwed with that one...

I think being a loyalist is fun is all. Nothing to do with hate. Since when is loyalty defined as hate anyway?

I really have had quite a bit of fun being a loyalist. Good times. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 23 February 2018 - 06:34 AM.

#36 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 22 February 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

It turns 360 (but really the 180 is the ****) so you can face your team and wave your stubby arms as you run towards battle! Whats not to like? Posted Image

The 360 torso twist was a PGI idea as far as I know. The Urbanmech in tabletop never had the ability to twist 360 degrees from what I understand. I don't believe any battlemech did. Even the Rifleman that was designed as an anti-air platform could not, though it could flip its arms around backwards to assist it in tracking aircraft.

Edited by Mole, 23 February 2018 - 09:14 AM.

#37 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 February 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

Let me start off by saying, i actually like this package as a whole. IMO it is a great way to get a wanna-be founders D, and i think the others are pretty cool. Maybe they won't be top mechs, but they all seam fairly solid.

But what bugs me is that lone MadDog.. as a IS and Clan only account person it just bugs me that it has a clan mech stuck in the package. Why PGI why did you not make it a Catapult instead, though they do already have two heroes so perhaps something else but you get my point. It just seams wrong to stick that lone clan mech into the package.

As for the firestarter, i really am scratching my head at the "Reverse Ember" Why not something like the S, A or H? Anything that was a bit different and unique that was not already a hero. Another Urbie hero i'm not sure was needed either, but i do get that it is a fan fav so ok. This really has me scratching my head on why it was picked as the one to go with. There already is the hero version of the mech too, so it doesn't even really fill that void.

For all those Clanners out there, I'd love to see a Solaris Clan pack too down the road so don't think i am just some Clan hater, it's just a package thing that is bugging me. Like the steam packs that i'd never buy because they are mixed. If Only PGI would sell those things as singles i'd have bought a few mechs from them at least but i digress.

Nothing is probably going to be done, but i just wanted to say my peace for future packages. Even as a incredibly good deal as a package over all, for folks like me that split accounts it can cause a no sale just cause of the simple perception of buying something and paying for something i won't use even if it is just a small part of the package.

Just think of it as buying a hero atlas with practically everything else bonus stuff. If that lone MDD bothers you that much just sell it and now you have a free mech bay.

Don't take this personally but you're acting stupid about this.

#38 valerius

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:19 PM

The mad dog belongs to a former Smoke Jaguar pilot named Garret, from the novel 'illusions of victory' which takes place on solaris 7. He is a pilot of blackstar stables, and his mad dog is beat to hell and almost scrap. The banshee is also from the same book.

#39 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 February 2018 - 05:50 AM

View PostHGAK47, on 22 February 2018 - 12:03 PM, said:

360o + PPFLD + Joystick = LOADS OF FUN!!! <maniacal Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image>

#40 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:27 AM

View PostSamial, on 23 February 2018 - 04:43 AM, said:

A guy playing MWO with no hangups on faction. I didn't think such a person existed.

View PostMole, on 23 February 2018 - 09:14 AM, said:

The 360 torso twist was a PGI idea as far as I know. The Urbanmech in tabletop never had the ability to twist 360 degrees from what I understand. I don't believe any battlemech did. Even the Rifleman that was designed as an anti-air platform could not, though it could flip its arms around backwards to assist it in tracking aircraft.

Yep. On tabletop, it's a 32 kph light 'mech with no armor "quirks." That's why it was a joke 'mech on TT. Not so much in this game, though.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users