My Big Issue With Solaris 7 Pack.. Why The Clan Mech? (Ohh Yea And The Firestarter Ember Copy)

49 replies to this topic

#41 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:40 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 22 February 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Never understood why people had separate accounts for clan and IS. Sounds like an inefficient use of real world funds to me. With the removal of penalties for breaking contacts in FP it seems even more pointless.

I guess for RP if you're into that?

Well there are a bunch of reasons really, but at this point i'm not sure any are really that game changing, but seeing you asked it is typically from people that have been around for a long time so don't take into account new changes.

1, Stats, keeping a separate clan/IS account is easier to track your global stats if that matters to you.

2, FW and units. If your big into faction war you can join a serious unit and a causal one. I know some do this basically keeping an account a for fun, though that does not necessarily mean you would have to split sides, Clan/IS

3, when i made mine there was no mech 5 coming, and there was some thought that single player could come and unsure how it would work, meaning you could run different sides in said SP for the whole RP thing. That we know is not how it is going to work now but a bunch of years ago we had no clue about the future.

4, Money/GXP/C-bills.. It's not really all that different other than having to grind on two accounts but you gotta play anyway to level mechs and such so really it doesn't effect things much.. I will say that I do have almost 150m C-bills banked on my clan account that could really help out my IS with engines. Instead my IS account needs more money for engines and my clan is set with bonus funds for future mechs instead. The biggest part here are double rewards from events. This last falls Bonus MC really stacked up for 2 account users meaning a couple of heroes easy for each account, or lots of paint/camo/warhorns ct. The real only down side is paint/decal and Premium time. With a single account i'd have run it for the last couple of years instead i cherry pick day passes and grind when i have lots of time. IMO the real downs side is just the premium, packs+events get me more than enough paint.

5, I made my second when steam launched, i wanted to see how it all worked out over there with a new account and starting over but in the end my reasoning from above kinda was a wash.. at this point i have to much invested cost wise in each account to just abandoned one and with no way to link um i'll just keep playing the two. In the end it really doesn't cost you more money to have um split unless you really want colors/decals on both, outside of the higher cost to keep premium on both.

So really your real wolrd money you just choose which side to spend it on. Pick the pack, buy some MC and get bays ect. I'd of spent the same either way, the only outlier is that darn premium which is the real crutch of the 2 account/Unlinked account system.

6, In the past there was load/save issues with large accounts, so splitting accounts kept them down to half the size and reduced those issues. They did get fixed, i will say my 100+ IS account loads slower than my 40 something Clanner but its not huge these days.

So those are basic reasons and if i did all over i probably would not split. The double rewards do help, but then again i often just skip things only getting what i really want for each account. All that said, i do know there are folks that just play one side for their own reasons and really steam packs have been the only mixed packages to date. I just made this post as more of a hope that in the future they keep those single side players in mind verse go down the road of mixed packages that could turn some users off. We all know Mechpacks are what keeps this game going.. (well that and MC purchases)

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 February 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#42 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:01 AM

So far PGI has had two events this year that needed both IS and clan mechs/weapons . This lone Maddog will no doubt be useful to IS purist accounts .
Clan purists don't have this problem . IS mechs cost next to nothing . On the other hand you pay an arm a leg and left nut in cbills for a clan light .

#43 Panthros

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 February 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

Let me start off by saying, i actually like this package as a whole. IMO it is a great way to get a wanna-be founders D, and i think the others are pretty cool. Maybe they won't be top mechs, but they all seam fairly solid.

But what bugs me is that lone MadDog.. as a IS and Clan only account person it just bugs me that it has a clan mech stuck in the package. Why PGI why did you not make it a Catapult instead, though they do already have two heroes so perhaps something else but you get my point. It just seams wrong to stick that lone clan mech into the package.

As for the firestarter, i really am scratching my head at the "Reverse Ember" Why not something like the S, A or H? Anything that was a bit different and unique that was not already a hero. Another Urbie hero i'm not sure was needed either, but i do get that it is a fan fav so ok. This really has me scratching my head on why it was picked as the one to go with. There already is the hero version of the mech too, so it doesn't even really fill that void.

For all those Clanners out there, I'd love to see a Solaris Clan pack too down the road so don't think i am just some Clan hater, it's just a package thing that is bugging me. Like the steam packs that i'd never buy because they are mixed. If Only PGI would sell those things as singles i'd have bought a few mechs from them at least but i digress.

Nothing is probably going to be done, but i just wanted to say my peace for future packages. Even as a incredibly good deal as a package over all, for folks like me that split accounts it can cause a no sale just cause of the simple perception of buying something and paying for something i won't use even if it is just a small part of the package.

You may not realize it but there where Clanners on Solaris like Garrett, from Clan Smoke Jaguar, from the book "Illusions of Victory" who owned a Mad Dog. Sounds like someone has a book to read ;)

Edited by Panthros, 24 February 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#44 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:28 AM

View PostPanthros, on 24 February 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

You may not realize it but there where Clanners on Solaris like Garrett, from Clan Smoke Jaguar, from the book "Illusions of Victory" who owned a Mad Dog. Sounds like someone has a book to read Posted Image

I just read that book a few months ago and it is the ONLY BT book i've ever read. I'm on my second, "test of vengeance" it is about an elemental if anyone is curious.

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 24 February 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

So far PGI has had two events this year that needed both IS and clan mechs/weapons . This lone Maddog will no doubt be useful to IS purist accounts .
Clan purists don't have this problem . IS mechs cost next to nothing . On the other hand you pay an arm a leg and left nut in cbills for a clan light .

Heh, that is a very valid point for the clan side of things.. Grab this pack and be set for any cross-faction damage event.. good thinking! :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 February 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#45 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 22 February 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

Never understood why people had separate accounts for clan and IS. Sounds like an inefficient use of real world funds to me. With the removal of penalties for breaking contacts in FP it seems even more pointless.

I guess for RP if you're into that?

Hannah Montana . I got the best of both worlds .

Double prizes from events . Let's take last years Halloween event for example . You could only choose one mech as a grand prize , two of those were unique Halloween special heroes . I scored both because I had two accounts.
How about Christmas ? 50 bucks calculated worth of goodies ? Sure ........if you only owned one account .

I like both IS and Clan mechs . I hate that I can only choose one set of mechs for my faction . This was my first account . It was no fun owning a locust and marauder mechs. I could only use them for quick play because I belong to the Falcons . Same opposite problem if I ever changed to IS .
Now I get to play any and all matches using all my favorite mechs . I get double faction rank rewards because I have two accounts .

As for the Solaris mech pack deal . If I only had this account , I would have no interest in buying 6 hero IS mechs no matter how cheap.

Edited by DarkFhoenix, 24 February 2018 - 02:55 PM.

#46 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:15 PM

View PostDarkFhoenix, on 24 February 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

Prices are based on included equipment. Equipment costs the same no matter which faction you are (e.g. ERML is 160,000 c-bills for both sides). To get comparable equipment, you end up paying a comparable price.

Ergo, it also costs an arm, a leg, and a left nut to properly kit out an IS Light.

#47 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Once upon a time, PGI thought the idea of adding the Urbanmech to the game was such a ridiculous idea that they played an April Fool's joke once by announcing it. Then there was such an outcry over it that they realized that people actually really wanted the thing. Problem being that in order to really add it to the game, they had to make it viable in some manner. So they gave it an engine cap far higher than it should have had and also a pile of armor quirks. I know the Urbanmech is supposed to suck but it has such a fanbase that it is quite beloved in the battletech fandom. Otherwise, PGI wouldn't be showing it so much love I'm sure.

I happily take the blame for pushing Russ to the breaking point and beyond about Urbies. And then they rediscovered something long forgotten around here..... a sense of Fun. Somehow I can't find it in myself to care what others think while driving my K9.

#48 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 February 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

I happily take the blame for pushing Russ to the breaking point and beyond about Urbies. And then they rediscovered something long forgotten around here..... a sense of Fun. Somehow I can't find it in myself to care what others think while driving my K9.

And if not for you, I would not have two K9s, both macroed for endless sirens. So thanks. Posted Image

They're both being prepped for Solaris. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 24 February 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#49 BreakinStuff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:44 AM

The reason for the mech selection is because in the Solaris 7 Tabletop RPG, every single mech being posted for the Solaris 7 Mech pack is a notable contender in the solaris 7 arenas for the RPG lore.

The Mad Dog (Vulture) is notable because at the time of the writing of the Solaris 7 RPG the Vulture "Revenant" and her pilot were the ONLY clanners participating in the Solaris arenas, because the clanners (at the time) found the gladiatorial arenas and betting and commercialization to be vile, dishonorable and repugnant.

The Revenant was a Dezgra pilot.

If the Marauder II (not the clan variant, the 100-ton Marauder variant with Jump Jets) was in the current game, you might actually have gotten the mech of one of the twin champions of Solaris 7 in that part of the timeline: Twin sisters driving identical Marauder II Assault mechs in the Unlimited Class (anything goes) division of the Solaris championships.

#50 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 February 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

actually think the pack should have more clan offerings. i have too few clan heros in my inventory for my tastes, meanwhile i have more is heros than i need. had this pack been 4 of each it would have been worth buying for me. but as it stands, nope.

This. Although it's a nice way to basically give people the MW-era Vulture with the CT energy hardpoint options (not quite the "turret" but doable). It'd have been a nice way to give people hardpoint configs on existing Clan non-Omnis that would be legit otherwise but might, say, not be doable thanks to not having available weapons for the build (AP Gauss, for example.)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users