Mechpacks Should Tell Us The Quirks

30 replies to this topic

#1 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:26 AM

Quirks can make or break a mech, just look at the Atlases. Useable when it has armor quirks, useless garbage without it, and many mechs in the store are no exception. So, what intelligent, forward thinking person would buy a mechpack on mechs that don't have their quirks clearly outlined? Seriously, it's a HUGE gamble. This is why I'm conflicted on buying the Solaris pack. Will that Atlas-KR have armor quirks? Or will it be nerfed with structure quirks instead? Because quirks make or break a mech, and I'm not going to spend money if there's a reasonable risk I'll get a useless mech. Knowing PGI, it probably will since they have the boars freaking head with structure quirks (lol), an objectively terrible Atlas.

Edited by Dont LRM me please, 23 February 2018 - 05:31 AM.

#2 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:33 AM

But there's no pre order bonuses. Just wait til you get the quirk list before buying?
Mech packs I understand tho.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:45 AM

Quirks are subject to change. Personally I only consider buying packs if it is a Clan battlemech, or a Clan omni with good balance of speed and pod space. Less quirks crutches, the better.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 February 2018 - 05:45 AM.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

I understand where you're coming from.

However, if PGI had to publish quirks well in advance then they'd power creep even more than they do already.

So, I think the current system is tolerable. We get a chance to cancel our pre-orders if we don't like the quirks.

Edited by Appogee, 23 February 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#5 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

Just wait till you KNOW the quirks and THEN buy the pack.
At most you have to wait a few hours till smurfy has updated the site and then you can still buy the pack.
The pre-orders bonus are laughable most of the time anyway and they should not be THE reason why you order early. If a mechpack contains your favourite mech that's something different though since you would buy it no matter what. The preorder bonus is just a nice add-on then.

I just cannot understand all those stupid people who hit the buy button 5 min after a new mechpack is released and then shout "REFUND" after the quirks are known.
FFS just wait for the quirks and THEN invest real money.

Edited by Antares102, 23 February 2018 - 08:18 AM.

#6 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,072 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

Never buy a mech for quirks. Just look at the Oxide,Huggin and countless others that had op quirks just to sell them then once they were out or dropped for c-bills NERF BOMBED! Hbk-gi isn't the guass machine gun it once was or the cnt-d the lbx monster. The list goes on with every new mech nerfed for the pre order ones.

#7 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:09 AM

Personally, I have wondered it they look at pre-sales when determining how heavy to quirk a mech. Basically, if it sells a lot...the community believes it’s a already good (hardpoints, weapon locations, etc) and if it doesn’t sell well early...then quirk it up to get those late sales in.

Just might explain why some more “popular” IS chassis lately (in terms of early adopter-sales) came out so poorly quirked....while others that didn’t seem to have the same buzz around them came out with decent or good quirks.

#8 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

You can always cancel a pre-order, however you can't time travel to get the pre-order bonuses. Pre-order if you can afford it, the worst you waste is a few minutes sending a cancellation request e-mail to Support. As mentioned, the Solaris 7 pack has no pre-order bonuses, same as every other Hero pack, so no need to even bother pre-ordering.

#9 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:31 AM

Just don't buy anything in advance, like I do.

At the very least, if you're bound and determined to spend real $ in exchange for potential pre-cbill-rebalanced power, wait until the thing is actually released and see how it performs.

The probability that you spend real $ on a pre order and end up with a useless hunk of junk (plus random cockpit garbage and cbill packs you could grind out in an afternoon) is way too high for that risk to be worth it, IMO.

#10 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:43 AM

One thing is true and will never change.
Never buy a mech because of quirks!!!
Most of the good mechs in game are independent of the quirks. They ARE good also without quirks.

All good quirks will vanish when the mech will be released for c-bills.
That’s a law and the economic of Free2Pay Games.

Buy the mechs if you like the chassis, the role, if it fits your playstile and if you don’t want to wait for c-bill release.
Then the chance to buy a dust collector is tolerable low.
And if the quirks are OK after release be happy and enjoy it the more.

Edited by Mumuharra, 23 February 2018 - 11:51 AM.

#11 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Don't buy a mech for it's quirks. Buy it for its geometry and hardpoints.

PGI will NEVER use quirks to make a mech great, they will only use it to make a bad mech mediocre. Mechs that become meta through accidental overquirking will be dequirked.

#12 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

it would be nice to see them in a mech lab also ,,
and how many tubes does that Atlas have? coming stock
with an LRM 20 .

#13 FinnMcKool

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

P.S.
all you guys are saying about quirks are true , but they still make a difference,
and personally I like to know the quirks on my opponents mechs, lets me know
what to expect , from them.

Know thyself and know thy enemy.

#14 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

If you want to know the quirks and also get the pre-order bonus, just preorder the basic pack... refund it if you don't like the quirks before you receive the mechs. There's usually 3 days you can do the refund between the coundown and the release date, just don't forget. There's no harm to upgrading the pack later, doesn't affect bonus.

#15 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

View PostNightbird, on 23 February 2018 - 11:56 AM, said:

Don't buy a mech for it's quirks. Buy it for its geometry and hardpoints.

PGI will NEVER use quirks to make a mech great, they will only use it to make a bad mech mediocre. Mechs that become meta through accidental overquirking will be dequirked.

This is honestly a great way to look at it. Geometry and hardpoints are the only things that are somewhat guaranteed to remain unchanged. Mostly anyway. And yeah, PGI doesn't quirk mechs to be good anymore, just to be passable.

#16 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:57 PM

View PostFinnMcKool, on 23 February 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

P.S.
all you guys are saying about quirks are true , but they still make a difference,
and personally I like to know the quirks on my opponents mechs, lets me know
what to expect , from them.

Know thyself and know thy enemy.

Good point but largely irrelevant to the preorder dilemma. Besides by the time you see them out, you'll get the info long before

#17 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:01 PM

Although I disagree that the Atlas is currently in a useable state, I do agree with the idea that any quirks should be visible when ever and where ever any given chassis is posted.

For the matter of that, it would be nice if base mobility information was available somewhere else than in-game or on third party websites. Would it be too much to ask to be able to see all current patch info about any given 'Mech chassis on mwomercs.com somewhere?

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

For the matter of that, it would be nice if base mobility information was available somewhere else than in-game or on third party websites. Would it be too much to ask to be able to see all current patch info about any given 'Mech chassis on mwomercs.com somewhere?

it is available, but the format isnt the easiest to read

https://mwomercs.com.../list/full.json

#19 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 23 February 2018 - 08:59 AM, said:

Never buy a mech for quirks. Just look at the Oxide,Huggin and countless others that had op quirks just to sell them then once they were out or dropped for c-bills NERF BOMBED! Hbk-gi isn't the guass machine gun it once was or the cnt-d the lbx monster. The list goes on with every new mech nerfed for the pre order ones.

Please, show me where I can buy an oxide or huggin, or gridiron for that matter, for cbills. I'll wait.

#20 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:37 PM

More than quirks, mobility makes a huge difference to me. I have stopped buying mechs that can't accelerate or turn.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users