Clan Machine Gun Nerf

64 replies to this topic

#1 darkcyd

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

It has been a little while since there has been a disruptive OP mech release as bad as the piranha. The ability to crit was an awesome introduction with controlled firepoints if you wanted a reason to add 2 machine guns to those unused balistic spots and a needed buff to locust and other light damage. But with 12, an armor stripped mech is dead instantly. It makes IS and especially mechs with buffed IS quirks to increase their toughness absolutely useless.

I'd like to see the crit mechanic kept for the reason it was added while nerfing boated machine guns. The easy answer would be to remove crit capability for machine guns added beyond 2 or 3. This would keep mechs like the heugin still viable while making the instagib of the piranha a thing of the past.

If you disagree with the nerf and think boated weapons like this should be allowed, then please, remove hard points all together so we can run around with 30 IS small lasers.

#2 Daurock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

So here's the thing about MG's - (Both Clan and IS) They're absolutely terrible unless you're in a light mech boating 6+ of them. The weapon itself doesn't need any nerf at all. (and I would argue, the IS one probably needs a buff instead, as the things are practically a myth on the battlefield right now.) It's not the weapon - It's the package in this case.

So, let's shift our focus a tad to the lights mounting them instead. I actually agree that they stand head and shoulders above most other light mech options today. Thus, I would support a change to the mech/weapon combo a bit. I'd rsay that a more appropriate nerf would be to the Boats themselves - Specifically, the pods that mount them, or the specific pirahna chassis that mount them. Personally, I'd MUCH rather see a pod nerf to the MLX/ACH, (Think something like a -10% ballistic fire rate per pod) and/or some change to the MG PIrahna variants to make them more in line with other light mechs.

Do that, and you actually have room to BUFF the things, and make them useful on chassis larger than 30 tons, while at the same time removing a problem mech/weapon combination.

#3 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

But it's got way limited ammo and often times still have to drill thru a little armor to get there. In a lightly armoured 20 tonne mech which isn't as fast as the locust. It does have its downsides imo

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:23 PM

As I said before, MGs need to have their crit value reduced and base damage increased as compensation. IS Lights also need some ballistic inflation to mount more MGs--or at least significant MG RoF quirks.

#5 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

Pirhanhas ability to boat is good but in the right hands. Insetead of nerfing, i would bring back the megaquirks that the locusts and spiders used to have, in order to be competive with the pirhanha. Those builds were fun.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:45 PM

View PostBohxim, on 26 February 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

But it's got way limited ammo and often times still have to drill thru a little armor to get there. In a lightly armoured 20 tonne mech which isn't as fast as the locust. It does have its downsides imo

The ammo is not that limited.

#7 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 February 2018 - 08:45 PM, said:

The ammo is not that limited.

4.5 tons. 5 tons of you strip arms. Super limited ;-)

Edited by JackalBeast, 26 February 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#8 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:20 PM

my 2 cents... its bloody stupid. they speed past you, tickle your *** and boom no weapons left. something needs to change. its so silly. the mlx and ach was bad enough, now... its daft.

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:21 PM

Also.C-mgs already got hit with a Nerf to their spread (like noticeably). Now they are only really viable when boated.

Computer says naaaah

#10 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 February 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

As I said before, MGs need to have their crit value reduced and base damage increased as compensation. IS Lights also need some ballistic inflation to mount more MGs--or at least significant MG RoF quirks.

Great ideas.

I hate machine guns in their current state. All they do is reinforce the armour gone = basically dead meta that reduces PUG's to cowering, whimpering masses who sweat profusely at the thought of peeking out of cover.

The speed with which an even halfway decently piloted Piranha can nonchalantly remove every weapon on an assault and then devour it's CT like it's made of free donuts makes my giant, venerable walking tank feel as though it was made by the lowest bidder, who also secretly cut corners by replacing steel with pine.

#11 ramp4ge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:59 PM

View PostDaurock, on 26 February 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

So here's the thing about MG's - (Both Clan and IS) They're absolutely terrible unless you're in a light mech boating 6+ of them.

The Nova S does really well with 4 of them and ERSLs or SPLs.

#12 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:34 PM

>viable huginn
>instagib piranha

wut

#13 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

Lets run it through the PGI impact assessment logic

"Is this going to make the game better for everyone
- Yes
Is this going to negatively impact clam easy mode
-Yes
Is this going to positively effect sales of PIR & (I) packs/mechs
-No

Denied - as usual those idiot customers have NFI what they are talking about"

#14 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:57 PM

All I know is.. since the Myst Lynx was given 8 MGs, it's become fun.

I don't own a Piranha, but have fought them, and yes, they are about as annoying as a light can get..

However, if you have an issue with the 12MG piranha being OP, then you also gotta nerf the Stealth SRM Commandos and Assassins... They will dismantle your back and kill you in 2-3 shots.

I see no difference between an Stealth SRM Commando and a Piranha.

It would not be fair to nerf one, and not the other?

MGs are not the problem.

P.S. And don't even get me started on the Urbies (or as we call them, the mini-Atlases)

Edited by Vellron2005, 26 February 2018 - 11:58 PM.

#15 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:16 AM

I really don't have a problem with machine guns.

If a light gets behind me and no one is around to chase it off because my team is not near enough? That's on me not the PIR.

If I have no armor and get targeted by a light with machine guns? I better kill it before I lose all my weapons but I had a whole match with armor protecting me so that means the PIR was a lot less useful most of the match.

I mean, sure, I would love to see weapon health increased, I'd even go with the idea put forth to decrease their crits and increase their actual DPS to compensate, but I do not think they need a harsh blanket nerf.

I play assaults, you can check on Jarl's, and I'm pretty terrible at the game, but I don't find these lights as hard to deal with as a few of you seem to. Also I haven't yet bought a PIR pack and I'm not sure I want too until I see what PGI does with all these complaints.

Edited by Xetelian, 27 February 2018 - 12:17 AM.

#16 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:37 AM

So far I haven't seen any evidence that the Pirhanas are overpowered.

Usually between 250-600dmg like most mechs, spiking up towards 1000-1200 at most. And very often below 100dmg because of early one-shots as well. Meanwhile the best assaults easily get 700-1000 as normal scores, do these scores much more reliably because they can take a hit, and spiking up towards 1500+ at the extreme end.

That seems perfectly fine with me to be honest, the problem is that most other lights are underpowered.

Some people seems to think lights should just be bad.

#17 DaManBearPig

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSeattle Area

Posted 27 February 2018 - 12:49 AM

Laughs in streak

#18 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 27 February 2018 - 12:37 AM, said:

So far I haven't seen any evidence that the Pirhanas are overpowered.

Usually between 250-600dmg like most mechs, spiking up towards 1000-1200 at most. And very often below 100dmg because of early one-shots as well. Meanwhile the best assaults easily get 700-1000 as normal scores, do these scores much more reliably because they can take a hit, and spiking up towards 1500+ at the extreme end.

That seems perfectly fine with me to be honest, the problem is that most other lights are underpowered.

Some people seems to think lights should just be bad.

lol because people cant pilote it well its not good???

#19 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:06 AM

View Postradiv, on 27 February 2018 - 01:46 AM, said:

lol because people cant pilote it well its not good???

Strawman, I didn't say that at all.

Here, let me clarify my position for you: It's not too good even when piloted well.

Obviously it's good, and that's a good thing. It's not too good, it's not unbalanced in relation to other good mechs.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:21 AM

If 1, 2 3, or even 4 MG is not a problem, then lets not nerf the wee machine gun.
Focus should be on that which is actually "problematic", and that, is the unique combination of three very specific chassis running very specific omni pods to provide very specific builds. If you must nerf something to address these "problem" builds, then apply your nerfs there with equally focused and individually tailored specificity. Meanwhile leave my 3 MG Viper or 4 MG Nova or any other half-assed build filling space alone.

Edited by Bud Crue, 27 February 2018 - 02:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users