121 replies to this topic

#101 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

View PostInfinityBall, on 23 February 2019 - 08:58 PM, said:

Things need reboots if they have alienated their potential fan bases or gotten stale.

Battletech simply isn't well enough known for either condition to apply.

I'd imagine 30+ white men are still plently interested in BT, but they aren't consuming it for some reason. BT is stale as ****, poorly written, kinda racists, inconsistent, and the IP just isn't curated that well. So yeah, stale as ****.

#102 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

Edit: (I'm continuing from my Japanese Battletech ramblings...)
Now while the mechs are pretty bleh, the thing took itself seriously before it became a parody in the Japanese BT-related video games of the late 90s... (And yep, they kept going briefly before giving up. There's something like 6? Six or 7 Japanese-only BT games, based on Japanese BT. All low budget, think Panzer General.
(This is including the SNES Mechwarrior, which is yet another remake of the original Mechwarrior but with a different and more directed story and Wing Commander-esque elements. Its US version changed all the art assets to be closer to western BT, though most of them are still unrecognizeable due to the Harmony Gold debacle. It is worth noting that after publishing this, the original company that did Mechwarrior was shafted and turned their Mechwarrior 2 into Earthsiege, while Activision went on to make the MW2 we know.)

Here's soldiers.
Spoiler

Here's vehicles and western comparisons. Edit: Forgot to give the name of the first vehicle. Its the Long Tom.
Spoiler

The exact reasoning for the way it was done... I don't know and don't think I ever will, but I have some assumptions it is much the same way about how FASA chose to handle the Harmony Gold situation, the Japanese branch contracted all new art for literally everything. Tabletop games, sadly, weren't popular over there. The games sold decently enough but there was no consistency between "Mechwarrior", which was remade but released on an obscure system and Japanese Battletech, either.. as such it is probably largely unrecognizable.

Lingering on the Japanese forums, they have pretty low opinions of Kurita, which I personally find somewhat comical as in the Battletech universe the Japanese of Terra share that exact sentiment, a disgust for the twisted extremes of their culture which were developed by people so completely detached from it and idealizing an ancient way that they completely didn't understand (the Kurita family line)... Then again anyone reading into the Marian Hegemony would see that all the "forced" cultures modeling themselves after old Earth cultures...completely fail and twist them into whatever the ruler prefers, taking what they like and dislike as they please.

Kind of like Mechwarrior gamers, happy to take only what they want, and eagerly trying to throw out anything that they don't like the difficulty of customizing a mech. (I admit, I'm gonna tweak my MW5 to allow it, but I won't be opting out of the difficulty, just opting in the possibility to go beyond swapping your medium laser for a medium laser by another company).

Edited by Koniving, 23 February 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#103 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:17 PM

no what we need is a sting of battle tech movies produced by Peter Jackson

#104 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:23 PM

View PostLDTorroc, on 23 February 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

no what we need is a sting of battle tech movies produced by Peter Jackson

We'd have the Western version of what some of the others were complaining about.
Rather than a Battle that lasts 3 episodes, we'd have a journey to go around the corner that lasts 3 movies....and plenty of talking.

This is based on Dark Ages, but.. its about as bad as any fan adaptation gets.

Side note: It has QUADS!

#105 LDTorroc

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:41 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 February 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

We'd have the Western version of what some of the others were complaining about.
Rather than a Battle that lasts 3 episodes, we'd have a journey to go around the corner that lasts 3 movies....and plenty of talking.

Yes yes it dose. I started a suggestion treat on this actully. im hoping people will see it and leave some commits on it.

#106 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:54 PM

View PostKoniving, on 23 February 2019 - 09:39 PM, said:

Spoiler added.
BT had a fan base in Japan, but there's a problem. There's even a Japanese remake of Mechwarrior 1

Sadly the remake didn't really update the actual game graphics or gameplay, just the 2D art...
The problem, though, is that Japanese BT...is largely nothing like Western BT. Much like German BT has also become its own thing.

For example,
Spoiler

Now if you grew up with that... then play western BT games...
You're probably like "What is this crap?"
Sadly, I had seen some Japanese Battletech games. They play very similarly to tabletop... but have teenage girl pilot syndrome. They sort of resorted to that to push it and as such, alienated it a fair bit. Will say the cockpit designs are pretty sweet, but look similar to what was in that Lost Hope trailer.

Said BT designs were from Shoji Kawamori himself, who did all the Macross designs including those that became the Unseen. But of course, he cannot legally recreate his designs from one franchise to another, although they would all bear his signature design trademarks, which by the way, is continued to The Last Hope. Kawamori is productive, and has a long long history of mecha design, including the original Transformers, and Armored Core.

Yes I did remember there were Japanese playing on the MW4 online servers, not to mention some of them I remembered were also playing the Heavy Gear 2 multiplayer, and moved on to MW4 when the HG2 scene gradually died, following the same footsteps I did. I could remember one of them specifically, because he is a freaking cheater and hacker on both games.

Many years later, still facing and fighting Japanese squads in a robot game, although that arena is now on War Robots, which incidentally is a Russian game. But it does show the Japanese will play a robot or mech game that does not necessarily require it to be a Japanese game or from a Japanese franchise or have a Japanese look on the mecha. I also faced Japanese players even on Battle of Titans. And maybe years from now, on the next robot online game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I always thought there was some potential to get Japanese into playing MWO, but for some reason, that never got to work out.

Edited by Anjian, 23 February 2019 - 11:59 PM.

#107 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:05 AM

View PostKoniving, on 23 February 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

I still got a huge collection of mechs including quads from that game. Not to mention, they also have huge tripods.

This guy creates an Ares using LEGO.

#108 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostAnjian, on 23 February 2019 - 11:54 PM, said:

I always thought there was some potential to get Japanese into playing MWO, but for some reason, that never got to work out.

Never said they wouldn't, just that BT has a disconnect from the complete inconsistency of what they've seen.

Think of it as you always seen the Hunchback to look as we know it.

Then suddenly you get a game that does this.
Posted Image
I'm sure you'd be scratching your head. I know I certainly was.

With that disconnect comes only a passing interest as opposed to an "Oooo, totally got to get into this." Add to it the amount of time it took to finally get local servers for them, 3 or 4 years was a long time to wait. Even then, well, the way PGI handled the game. Get all these great things PGI said they were going to do translated into Japanese, then... well its kind of like Destiny 2 before the developer left Activision, so many great things promised and nothing really done, just so many steps back. Its similar here.

For example we had working monitors, but then they broke, and PGI patched them out. They also began removing monitors from inside of mechs as they didn't think they would be using that many. We got a placeholder and that they were already working on new functionality that we'd be seeing soon™...

...and 3 years later, ain't seen jack.

Anyway, add that to the pot, and uh... is it any wonder there's crickets over in that section?

We might see some when MW 5 pops up, there's a decent bit of activity over there in the Battletech (HBS) uh P..whatever that company name's Japanese threads.

#109 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostKoniving, on 24 February 2019 - 12:48 AM, said:

Never said they wouldn't, just that BT has a disconnect from the complete inconsistency of what they've seen.

Think of it as you always seen the Hunchback to look as we know it.

Then suddenly you get a game that does this.
Posted Image

I know it is a bit of a tangent from the actual conversation, but can I just say...I HATED MechWarrior Tactic's artwork. That is nothing even remotely like a Hunchback. It looks like a weird Dragon with a PPC launcher on the shoulder. I can accept variance from the source material to some extent. PGI made some radical designs with the Catapult and especially the Centurion, but they just felt...Right. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I can even accept the MechWarrior 4 Catapult as a Catapult even when it looks like a walking door knob.

Posted Image

That Hunchback though....my lords it is atrocious!

#110 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

We're not going to mention that the hunch is on the wrong side? And that there's clearly a laser in it? While it proudly stands over an anti-Swayback quote?

#111 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 24 February 2019 - 11:21 AM, said:

I know it is a bit of a tangent from the actual conversation, but can I just say...I HATED MechWarrior Tactic's artwork. That is nothing even remotely like a Hunchback. It looks like a weird Dragon with a PPC launcher on the shoulder. I can accept variance from the source material to some extent. PGI made some radical designs with the Catapult and especially the Centurion, but they just felt...Right. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I can even accept the MechWarrior 4 Catapult as a Catapult even when it looks like a walking door knob.

Posted Image

That Hunchback though....my lords it is atrocious!

That...was "creative freedom" on MW4's part.

And what's not to love about the Catapult in MWT?
Posted Image
Aside from the fact it looks like a Catapult II.
Posted Image

This is from MWLL, and note...
Posted Image

Posted Image
How similar it looks. (There's an identical match further down which is what they based it on).

Then again there are 2 canonical designs of the Catapult.. and technically they exist in the same universe at the same time and it just depends on the needs of the planet it primarily operates on...

There's the Stilt-legged
Posted Image
Posted Image
This design is used in areas with more mountainous terrain for reasons very similar to here.
Emmerich: "On Terrain with significant differences in elevation like Afghanistan, you need a body that is vertically adaptable. That also lets it attack from Long Range while using Mountain Ridges for cover. So making it walk upright [note: in the Catapult's case, "TALLER"] was the most important factor in giving it superior height capability."
The area behind the knees are extra thick to support it if knocked down onto its back, so as to make getting back up easier. It is also better able to throw its center of gravity so that it could get back up. For some reason the stilted version is noted prefering to get back up from an on-the-back-of-its-legs position, though I don't see why it couldn't do the same thing the Shunt-leg version does. The longer legs also give it a better kicking ability, something the shunt-legged catapult relatively is incapable of doing above the waist.

Shunt leg (is what I call it)
Posted Image
A shorter design to make it harder to hit in open fields and for some reason this design is also more common in urban areas (perhaps due to its lower turning clearance due to shorter legs, and perhaps because sharp turns on long legs with a higher center of gravity is just asking to tip over). Being shorter, the mech has an easier time getting up than its nearly 2 meter taller counterpart. The metal at the knees is separated for a reason, its supposed to fold out in order to form a "heel" to brace it while firing as well as to catch it on backward falls to prevent the fall. In the event of a fall, the rounded body rolls until on the nosecone which is used as a hand. MWO's version removed the nose cone thinking of the same thing, but feeling that a flat panel would better provide support in standing. It may, but a flat panel is easier to penetrate than a sloped panel.

There's a 3rd design, the fatter one.
Posted Image
I don't know if this is simply an older design of the shunt leg before modernizing it with a visual retcon, or if this actually is a canonical difference, its simply more rounded than the shunt leg design with no discernible differences.

But yeah, side tangent over. This is pretty neat when you dig into it, isn't it? Sad thing is most of this awesome info is shared in the BattleTechnology magazines, which was considered canonical until 2006 or 2007 I think. Even so, most of the expansive info in those magazines are in the Techmanual, TacOps, StratOps, and others, and some elements are even in 2018's BattlemechManual. The BV system first started in the BT magazine as "Combat Efficiency Value", "Extreme Ranges" came from it, and even the pilot bonuses of "MaxTech" originated in the BT magazine. In fact the very reason the Flea even has the name Flea... was written first in the BT Magazine, because the Trooper 14 had the unique ability to double jump as its 4 JJs allowed it to move 4 hexes, then 4 hexes...as such people started to call it an annoying flea..and that stuck as a way to rebrand the clusterduck that was the Trooper line.

Ah well. I mean I can see why, the "Alliance" mech was misinformation and propaganda, the magazine is littered with hundreds of pieces of art or pictures of models of HG sensitive nature, and some of its info has been retconned (PPC minimum range being "too heavy" to swing around as PPCs at the time were only in the arms was changed to they'd explode if they built their energy up too fast, so its delayed by half a second to 2 seconds depending on the brand (thus is why the Lord's Light PPC is named as such, it is a Kurita model with an exceptionally long 2 second delay which builds up a blinding light before it actually fires...and to be fair, BT Magazine retconned itself first, and later so did newer BT manuals).

View PostBombast, on 24 February 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

We're not going to mention that the hunch is on the wrong side? And that there's clearly a laser in it? While it proudly stands over an anti-Swayback quote?

Nope -- that one's TOO EASY! :)

We're ALSO...not gonna mention this.
Posted Image
Though... from what I seen this is actually somewhat of a nod to the Japanese version of the Atlas...

With a wildly creative license...

Also by the designs, I suspect Mechwarrior Tactics was originally wanting to set itself in the 3142 era...

What's cool is the designs are unique enough that with just a tiny bit of tweaking, the entire thing could be salvaged and redone as a new IP. So whomever bought the assets, if they did at all, could actually do something like that.

#112 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

We're also, ALSO not gonna mention the Clan Coyote mark on the Atlas...
Posted Image

#113 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:43 PM

View PostKoniving, on 24 February 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

We're also, ALSO not gonna mention the Clan Coyote mark on the Atlas...

A quote from the website of the artist who drew that:

Peater D said:

From what the fans have been posting on the site it seems as though I did a decent job although I did put a clan symbol on the Atlas that was wrong and will never hear the end of it. Sigh

Funnily enough, it's technically not a big mistake. The Clan's were reportedly still using Atlas IIs during the Clan Invasion, so I see no reason why there wouldn't be an Atlas or two rattling around a Freeborn unit or something somewhere.

Edited by Bombast, 24 February 2019 - 12:45 PM.

#114 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:44 PM

And in checking to see if there was an Atlas IIC...

We're ALSO-ALSO-ALSO not gonna mention the Atlas II clearly has a RAC on the right arm.
But its listed as a LB-10X, and was conceptualized before BT had RACs... as well as too early in the timeline.
Posted Image
But technically this one has nothing to do with Mechwarrior Tactics.

#115 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

The problem of a Clan Atlas would be it would be worse than the IS Atlas...

#116 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

View PostKoniving, on 24 February 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

And in checking to see if there was an Atlas IIC...

We're ALSO-ALSO-ALSO not gonna mention the Atlas II clearly has a RAC on the right arm.
But its listed as a LB-10X, and was conceptualized before BT had RACs... as well as too early in the timeline.
Posted Image
But technically this one has nothing to do with Mechwarrior Tactics.

This is the Atlas that shows up along side the Ares battlemech in this news clip that introduced the Ares to the Battletech universe.

#117 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

View PostAnjian, on 25 February 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

This is the Atlas that shows up along side the Ares battlemech in this news clip that introduced the Ares to the Battletech universe.

Actually its not. Its similar. But the one in the video is the Darkages+ Atlas.
Posted Image
Posted Image
That being the Atlas III.
It actually is carrying a RAC/2.

The Atlas II is carrying an LB-10X with 5 barrels that looks like a RAC. Atlas III carries a 6 barrel RAC/2.

Edited by Koniving, 26 February 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#118 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:45 PM

I kinda like the Mechwarrior Tactics Trebuchet design. It has a more menacing air. Where as MWO Trebucket looks like a mech with a derpy hat.

Posted Image

#119 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:35 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 26 February 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

I kinda like the Mechwarrior Tactics Trebuchet design. It has a more menacing air. Where as MWO Trebucket looks like a mech with a derpy hat.

Posted Image

That may be the one and only example of a good looking mech in MW:T lol.

It almost looks a little too menacing for a Trebuchet, so much so that it sort of looks more like a Victor to me.

#120 Warhawke_

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 18 posts
  • LocationThe Great State of Texas

Posted 27 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

The only way I could see any way of Mechwarrior being filmed is if they Gave it the Battlestar Galatica reboot/ Game Of Thrones treatment.

Make the Cool Mechs the backdrop instead of the story. Focus on the houses, stay far away from the clans, and make the combat Brutal.

It will never ever happen

Edited by Warhawke_, 27 February 2019 - 10:36 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users