121 replies to this topic

#41 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:39 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 18 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

It always amaze me how people forget Battletech was inspired by two freak'n animes (Macross and Dougram)

People remember. I don't know why you think they don't.

Doesn't matter; a good chuck of this community cant help nit picking fan projects until the creators give up on them, I'm sure they would double down on criticizing anything officially released.

Ah, yes. I remember the great nit-picking of Living Legends that killed the project... wait...

#42 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:52 AM

When Bitcoin moons boys ... we’ll know what to put our Satoshis into.

#43 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:59 AM

I know I may be in the minority here, but I'd like to see the old BattleTech Cartoon come to Netflix. I can't imagine that show would be that expensive for Netflix to acquire. Maybe it is a licensing thing, who knows *shrug*.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a new series be created. Maybe with the release of HBS's BattleTech, and the upcoming MechWarrior 5:Mercs coming out, the franchise might get enough visibility to make it more of a possibility. It's probably still a long shot, but one can dream.

#44 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:32 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 19 February 2019 - 05:59 AM, said:

I know I may be in the minority here, but I'd like to see the old BattleTech Cartoon come to Netflix.

I don't think you're in the minority there.

I can't imagine that show would be that expensive for Netflix to acquire. Maybe it is a licensing thing, who knows *shrug*.

I assume that, like everything Battletech, it is a licensing thing. I'd also guess that the original hard copies of the cartoon were destroyed or lost ages ago.

#45 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:44 AM

View PostBombast, on 19 February 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

I don't think you're in the minority there.

I say that because of how schlocky it can be and how inaccurate it can be at times. It was very much a cartoon of it's time (it feels late 80's/early 90's) and it wears it's intentions on it sleeve (more mechs...more toys). It seems like it doesn't hold up for a lot of people because of that.

For me though, it is pure nostalgia and about a franchise I love, so I like the cartoon flaws and all.

View PostBombast, on 19 February 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

I assume that, like everything Battletech, it is a licensing thing. I'd also guess that the original hard copies of the cartoon were destroyed or lost ages ago.

I hope the masters still exist somewhere. It would be a real shame if the show, in it's proper form, was lost to time forever.

#46 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:48 AM

Live action. Directed by Michael Bay.

#47 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostGrus, on 19 February 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by Bombast, 19 February 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#48 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:55 AM

View PostGrus, on 19 February 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

If you want to go there, then we need to go to the king of PC/Video game movies. Uwe Bowel, where are you? :D

#49 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 19 February 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

If you want to go there, then we need to go to the king of PC/Video game movies. Uwe Bowel, where are you? :D
no we need some sweeping telephoto shots of Timberwolves and Summoners....

#50 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

I'd like it and Netflix actually has shown they can do a good job with these stories. It would need a sort of soft reboot as the writing for the older stuff hasn't always held up but there is a great core to the story so it has tons of potential.

#51 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 19 February 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

I'd like it and Netflix actually has shown they can do a good job with these stories. It would need a sort of soft reboot as the writing for the older stuff hasn't always held up but there is a great core to the story so it has tons of potential.

What I find funny is that people don't seem to think that there would be some sort of soft reboot if a series was done in the first place.

Look, Battletech's got a lot of problems, but one of the major ones, has been recently overcome... art direction... You can go on and on about "outdated sterotypes." and this and that... guess what, it's 80's space future, who cares about that... at the end of the day, all of that is just fluff and dressing for the main start of the show:

POLITICAL INTRIGUE BACKED UP BY MECH COMBAT!

You approach the series like Game of Thrones, but in space, with the wars fought in machines, early on, you show the development of the Mackie, and explain why this is replacing well known existing tank warfare, and you're off to the races to tell whatever story you wish.

Battletech isn't that complex a narrative... especially considering one of the heads, Stackpole, has been a hack for years... That's not to say everyting is bad, Coleman writes well, and battletech has several authors that are good at what they do, but just keep stackpole away from this franchise for the forseeable future, and you'd have something solid.

#52 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:19 PM

Doesn't have to be anime. It can be animated by Japanese or Korean animation studios since they're the best. But it could have western writers and director. But I would prefer someone with respect for the medium. Not those ******** that treat animation like something only for children. Someone like Paul Dini who worked on Batman the Animated series and various other animated series. He could hire the right people. You'd get a good animated series. Hopefully without all the anime tropes that are ruining the industry. With an emphasis on character development and a good story to be told. And they'd probably respect the source material more.

#53 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

no thanks. battletech has some of the worst lore/plotlines ever written in scifi. the only remotely interesting time period in battletech is during the clan invasions because the clans actually have character development with their heavily conflicting ideologies. Whereas every other plotline in battletech is completely banal and just involves some power-crazed meglomaniac dictator trying to take over the galaxy.

literally the only thing cool about battletech, outside one or two of the better plot arcs, is the giant robots. and netflix would be way better off doing a giant robot anime that has nothing to do with battletech.

Besides if you want an anime with political intrigue backed up with mech combat just watch code geass. its better than any battletech anime ever could be.

Edited by Khobai, 19 February 2019 - 01:54 PM.

#54 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 March 2018 - 10:36 AM, said:

Except Transformers. I'm fairly certain you do not want to watch a Battletech movie/series by the Transfomers "team".

I wouldn't mind a Battltech animated movie or series done in the way the G1 Transformers were done :)

#55 Sagara Sousuke 011011001

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 62 posts
  • LocationStratford Upon Avon UK

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostKhobai, on 19 February 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:

no thanks. battletech has some of the worst lore/plotlines ever written in scifi. the only remotely interesting time period in battletech is during the clan invasions because the clans actually have character development with their heavily conflicting ideologies. Whereas every other plotline in battletech is completely banal and just involves some power-crazed meglomaniac dictator trying to take over the galaxy.

literally the only thing cool about battletech, outside one or two of the better plot arcs, is the giant robots. and netflix would be way better off doing a giant robot anime that has nothing to do with battletech.

Besides if you want an anime with political intrigue backed up with mech combat just watch code geass. its better than any battletech anime ever could be.

I can't think of that many bad plot lines. I liked the Gray Death Legion's original trilogy for instance and the Warrior series.

Its a little slow plot-wise but in terms of anime I did like Gasaraki. Its probably the most down to earth / realistic anime out there for mecha. I also like Full Metal Panic (clearly) but its not exactly geared to the Btech crowd.

Edited by Sagara Sousuke 011011001, 19 February 2019 - 03:43 PM.

#56 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:08 AM

Well that's why there would need to be a soft reboot. I don't remember many plotholes or rampant stereotypes (There are some but let's not exagerate). The core is really good with tons of story potential, there's no reason a reboot couldn't be excellent.

#57 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:16 AM

The problem is the people who own mechwarrior rights... are douche bags....

theres a bunch of ******** between gandum and battletech and mechwarrior.. bunch of bitchs crying about imaginary ideas

there should have been a mechwarrior or battle tech movie already

#58 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 20 February 2019 - 07:08 AM, said:

I don't remember many plotholes or rampant stereotypes (There are some but let's not exagerate).

There really aren't many plot holes (Maybe some of the Jihad/Dark Age stuff doesn't make sense, but that's another issue) and most of the stereotypes can be explained by the Asian Great Houses being formed not by their actual cultural precursors, but by weeaboos (And whatever the Chinese equivalent of a Weeaboo is) who's perspective is a bit skewed. The guy who founded the Draconis Combine was from a place called New Samarkland. Sumarkland is in Uzbekistan, and here's a list of coordinators.

Robert
Parker
Von Vohrs
Martin McAllistar
Warren
Leonard
Blaine
Theodore
Vincent

#59 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:41 AM

I think that any franchise that has been around as long as BattleTech (30+ Years) and has had countless authors and media contributing to the lore, is going to suffer some plot holes, contradictions, and retcons. It just seems to be the nature of the beast.

I don't think that makes a franchise any lesser, it just speaks to how good it was in the first place that so many people have wanted to put their mark on it. Just with age, and several contributions, it has muddied some things up a long the way.

#60 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

heck no to netflix, its terrible , they shut down good marvel shows like daredevil and punisher.

As for anime also a heck no because in general its a stack of poo poo pancakes with more repetition than a stack of bricks.

Now if where talking 3d animation with a more grounded feel to mechs like lumbering destruction machine with a western production company then it could work. But they would have to deal with purchasing the rights to use it. Im thinking a few elements of GOT for houses and mostly heavy action battles with 3 lances to entire armies duking it out using hopefully the MWO mech designs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users