478 replies to this topic

#261 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostNightbird, on 03 March 2018 - 08:15 PM, said:

This post is just a demonstration of volumetric scaling assuming uniform density. It's math, not opinion.

For the comparison, I'm using the 100 Ton atlas and 25 Ton Commando because they're proportionally very close.

amazing, absolutely irrefutable. looking forward to PGI's reaction because at this point, *shakes head* Posted Image ..they're beyond a joke.

#262 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:21 AM

Makes more sense to downscale all the other mechs to better fit the lights rather than the other way around - but given how many 'other' mechs there are in relation to lights, even if PGI did more rescaling it would be on the path with least resistance/effort, so we would get big lights.

#263 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

Oh nothing is going to be rescaled... I created this thread because I got tired of people saying "PGI scales mechs volumetrically!"

#264 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

A problem you oversee is that a light is not a light. A 35t mech is simply too large and gets frikkin easily hit

#265 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

View PostBush Hopper, on 25 February 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

A problem you oversee is that a light is not a light. A 35t mech is simply too large and gets frikkin easily hit

Isn't the whole thread about mech sizes being wrong? What did we oversee?

#266 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostNightbird, on 25 February 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Isn't the whole thread about mech sizes being wrong? What did we oversee?

Ist thou an entity?

#267 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

I think it's cute people think that modelling anything with uniform density is going to produce an even remotely accurate approximation of real life. Yes, Mechwarrior is fantasy but so is this primary school mathematics. Obviously, 'Mechs do not and should not have or be thought to have a uniform density.

#268 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 February 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

I think it's cute people think that modelling anything with uniform density is going to produce an even remotely accurate approximation of real life. Yes, Mechwarrior is fantasy but so is this primary school mathematics. Obviously, 'Mechs do not and should not have or be thought to have a uniform density.

So you think that PGI got it right? Assaults should have half the density of light mechs?

#269 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:14 AM

Do we have a group of people just necroing posts?

#270 zudukai

• Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostGrus, on 25 February 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Do we have a group of people just necroing posts?

i guess so, wanna fite about it? Posted Image

#271 VulcanXIV

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:41 PM

I love my phoenix hawk but if i'm going to play at the heavy-class size level, I might as well just wait for the phoenix hawk IIc.

Which I won't cuz screw clans. Rescale my phoenix hawwwwwwwwwk

#272 R E X I OS

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:51 PM

Nightbird you know those cars in Solaris city? Well a flea/locus or any similar sized mech seem almost the same size compared to those cars at least the torso and arms.

You think you can compare one of those cars with one of those light mechs?
I'm always woundering how small in size those mechs are compared to objects around them.

#273 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 12:55 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 11 March 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

By this Hollander ...the Artist forget the Place for Ammunition Posted Image

we're talking about Volumetric Volumes and Recoil on Mechs, where not even a ton of ammo would have room, considering the size of the caliber and missile systems, which then magically move from left hand and left foot into the Right Shoulder Launcher

the artistic point is the only one in terms of size.
What we think is appropriate, because only after this point, the 'Mechs were designed or what we feel as good in relation to the other weapons systems .. We can of course also scale the tanks larger .. yes wear the same weapons and need the same place for ammo ... why should then a 60t tank suddenly just look like a dwarf against a Shadowhawk...a Vedette Tank has now a AC5 thats against the Shadowhawk AC5 is only sized like a MG..

Posted Image

who the Hell is the Place for all this ?

Posted Image

or this Pic from a Artist here in Forum...the Maingun of the Tank only a Toy against the MWO Mech AC (middle Shadowhawk in old Lore Size)

Yep the little Shadowhawk is the correct size.

Also has anyone notice except for me that the size of the building, cars and such are flipping tiny compared to the battlemechs in MWO. I have to say, I think the game would be so, so much better if the mechs were about about 70% the size they are now. The game would just feel so much, bigger and to the correct scale. I think game play would be improved considerably.

#274 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

my first interaction with "mechs" was exo squad so this has always been my perception of how things should be scaled

Posted Image

#275 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

View PostNightbird, on 25 February 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

So you think that PGI got it right? Assaults should have half the density of light mechs?

Hahah, read what I said a couple more times bud.

#276 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:02 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 February 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Obviously, 'Mechs do not and should not have or be thought to have a uniform density.

With only a handful of construction materials, why not?

#277 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:05 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 February 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

Hahah, read what I said a couple more times bud.

I understand what you said, there's more than a few posts in this thread to discuss how accurate is uniform density, and whether heavier mechs should be more or less dense than lighter mechs. The answer is more dense, making PGI even more wrong for making them less dense.

Do you actually have anything to contribute?

#278 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

View PostNightbird, on 25 February 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

I understand what you said, there's more than a few posts in this thread to discuss how accurate is uniform density, and whether heavier mechs should be more or less dense than lighter mechs. The answer is more dense, making PGI even more wrong for making them less dense.

Do you actually have anything to contribute?

How about scaling things based on any sort of real world model or approximation thereof is patently stupid since the mechanics of the game are all sorts of unrealistic. The only thing that matters is the balance of the game, not an adherence to this or that law. If certain 'Mechs need to be a certain size to function in the role they are in, then that's the size they ought to be.

#279 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:50 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 25 February 2019 - 02:36 PM, said:

How about scaling things based on any sort of real world model or approximation thereof is patently stupid since the mechanics of the game are all sorts of unrealistic. The only thing that matters is the balance of the game, not an adherence to this or that law. If certain 'Mechs need to be a certain size to function in the role they are in, then that's the size they ought to be.

The discussion of scaling to real-life is minimal in this thread, just a shadowhawk to a tank. Most of the scaling discussion is based on mechanics described within Battletech, by lore and by TT. Even if you want to wave your hands and say, whatever goes is fine, there still has to be a internal logic (however fictional) to things or else immersion is broken.

#280 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 25 February 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

my first interaction with "mechs" was exo squad so this has always been my perception of how things should be scaled

Posted Image

Anthem is waiting for you then lol

21 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 21 guests, 0 anonymous users