No Sound In-Game

13 replies to this topic

#1 TravelingMaster

• PipPip
  • Ironclad
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

Starting last night, I've had no sound in-game. Nothing on intro credits, nothing in battle, and so on. Every other sound source on my computer works (Spotify, Youtube, downloaded video/sound files, etc). I've rebooted computer and game client, adjusted and saved in-game sound settings, have everything at max volume, unplugged and re-plugged my headphones and tried a different set of headphones, nothing works so far. Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

#2 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

check the games log file ( probably in C:\Users\*YOUR USER NAME*\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Logs\Omicron.log ) a few pages down, it should list the audio devices available to the game, and which ones it selected and the speaker config on it ...

#3 TravelingMaster

• PipPip
  • Ironclad
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 06 March 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

check the games log file ( probably in C:\Users\*YOUR USER NAME*\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\Logs\Omicron.log ) a few pages down, it should list the audio devices available to the game, and which ones it selected and the speaker config on it ...

This is what I get (I read your responses last August in a similar thread and tried various suggestions, by the way): <Sound> FmodEx-AudioDevice: Now running on driver: Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC). There are no other sound devices it could route to, anyways.

I disabled in-game VOIP to no effect. The only mic comms I have going is Discord, and that's how I communicate with a group I hang out with (more like I listen to them, since I can't get my mic working on this computer). The only 'select device' option I saw was for VOIP, but I changed them just in case despite disabling VOIP. No effect from change. The problem persists when I use mic-less headphones, as well.

About the only thing I can think of right now is either Discord or Spotify interfering with game sound somehow. I was running Spotify when the problem occurred, but since I've been using Spotify for background music without a problem up til now, it's hard to imagine that being a source of the problem. Nonetheless, I've tried running it with Spotify completely off, to no effect. Only thing I haven't tried is turning Discord completely off, which I'm gonna try today.

#4 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:02 PM

yeah, the reason for asking about the log file, is to know that the game grabbed a device at all ...

I wouldnt think discord would mess up the sound configuration, as its intended to be side by side with other audio apps .... spotify on the other hand, well, seeing as they make money from their audio, they might take steps to try to protect it .... cant say I know for sure ... but, sometimes the order that you start things might make a difference too ... for instance I need to launch OBS ( game recording ) before MWO .... and OBS needs to have at least the same permissions level as the instance of MWO .... actually, in regards to that, have you tried running MWO 'as administrator' ? .... an option generally available by right clicking the icon ...

another thing you might want to check is 'exclusive mode' ... to find it, you right click on the speaker icon ( volume control in taskbar ) and select 'playback devices', select the device your using on the window that pops up, and click on properties at the bottom .... that brings up another window, and you want to select 'Advanced' from the tabs at the top .... and your looking at the two options under 'Exclusive Mode' ... by default they are probably both on, which may go weird, very occasionally, with some softwares ... while your this deep into the sound configuration, you might want to check the other tabs, specifically 'Enhancements' and 'Spatial Sound' .... you probably dont really want either ... 'Enhancements' can cause issues with some hardware/driver ... and 'spatial sound' is a whole other story ... if you dont know you need it, then you probably dont, like most 'features' in windows 10 ...

#5 TravelingMaster

• PipPip
  • Ironclad
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 07 March 2018 - 10:02 PM, said:

yeah, the reason for asking about the log file, is to know that the game grabbed a device at all ...

I wouldnt think discord would mess up the sound configuration, as its intended to be side by side with other audio apps .... spotify on the other hand, well, seeing as they make money from their audio, they might take steps to try to protect it .... cant say I know for sure ... but, sometimes the order that you start things might make a difference too ... for instance I need to launch OBS ( game recording ) before MWO .... and OBS needs to have at least the same permissions level as the instance of MWO .... actually, in regards to that, have you tried running MWO 'as administrator' ? .... an option generally available by right clicking the icon ...

another thing you might want to check is 'exclusive mode' ... to find it, you right click on the speaker icon ( volume control in taskbar ) and select 'playback devices', select the device your using on the window that pops up, and click on properties at the bottom .... that brings up another window, and you want to select 'Advanced' from the tabs at the top .... and your looking at the two options under 'Exclusive Mode' ... by default they are probably both on, which may go weird, very occasionally, with some softwares ... while your this deep into the sound configuration, you might want to check the other tabs, specifically 'Enhancements' and 'Spatial Sound' .... you probably dont really want either ... 'Enhancements' can cause issues with some hardware/driver ... and 'spatial sound' is a whole other story ... if you dont know you need it, then you probably dont, like most 'features' in windows 10 ...

Alright, I attempted to launch as Admin, no option for it showed up. The user account is admin, in any case, so I don't know whether it would make a difference.

I found the 'exclusive mode' stuff, both are activated by default and I didn't change anything because I wasn't sure whether that was recommended. Should I try turning one of the two options off?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium (yes, I probably should at least get Windows 8 at some point, if not Windows 10), and there were no 'enhancement' or 'spatial sound' tabs via the properties tab of the sound device.

As a last resort, I re-installed the game via Steam in case it was an issue with game files somehow, that didn't change anything.

#6 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:46 PM

1. There is absolutely no reason for you to downgrade from W7 to any future version of Windows, unless you have very new hardware and are dead-set on using DX12 in the extremely few games that support it and not Vulkan.

2. Right click on the speaker icon in your tray, and select "Open Volume Mixer" after you start the game. Check and see if the volume there is turned down or muted for the game. (this happens sometimes for unexplained reasons) This is the most common issue with no sound in any program.

3. Exclusive Mode shouldn't interfere, but it's safe to disable those options anyways, just in case. (if it doesn't fix it immediately, it's best to reenable them)

#7 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 15 March 2018 - 06:46 PM, said:

1. There is absolutely no reason for you to downgrade from W7 to any future version of Windows

I hear this argument time, and time again .... in fact, my old man swore he would never upgrade from XP ... we dont talk anymore ... seriously .... but thats another topic ... my 40 year old sister wont upgrade from W7 ... because she doesnt want to waste a few hours geting used to something new, which is essentially the same .... it just looks slightly different ...

personally, I tend to find, that each new version of windows, actually delivers on what the last one promised .... 7 did what vista was meant to, in a reasonable time frame ... 10 delivered what 8 was meant to, without needing to be driven from an xbox controller .... and it probably runs slightly more efficiently on the same hardware .... emphasis on slightly ....

hope you got the x64 version .... otherwise .... things will get difficult, just over the horizon ....

#8 TravelingMaster

• PipPip
  • Ironclad
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

1. There is absolutely no reason for you to downgrade from W7 to any future version of Windows, unless you have very new hardware and are dead-set on using DX12 in the extremely few games that support it and not Vulkan.

2. Right click on the speaker icon in your tray, and select "Open Volume Mixer" after you start the game. Check and see if the volume there is turned down or muted for the game. (this happens sometimes for unexplained reasons) This is the most common issue with no sound in any program.

3. Exclusive Mode shouldn't interfere, but it's safe to disable those options anyways, just in case. (if it doesn't fix it immediately, it's best to reenable them)

Number 2 did the trick, sound was completely muted for the MWO client, finally have sound after two weeks of no in-game sound. Thanks, man!

#9 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Any time. :)

#10 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Just encountered this. Option 3 worked for me while 2 didn't.

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

Glad to assist you as well. :)

#12 Dangerous Doug

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:40 AM

I've just downloaded this game and have no sound whatsoever. Moreover, when I have the game open, I have no sound on the computer at all. As soon as I close MWOnline, all the sound comes back. None of your previous suggestions have worked for me. Any other suggestions anyone can think of?

#13 Redspike

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Make that 3 Thank You's BTGBullseye. Been running W7 on this machine with MWO since I installed it in 2014, and this is the first time I have seen it do this. Oddly, it perfectly coincided with MS Windows 7's 'last' update. Hmm....

#14 Komatanz

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 01:01 PM

Heij there.
Meaning to necromance this thread...

It does happenend from time to time, that there's no ingame sound for me at whatsoever (the hassle with it prolly was one of the reasong I paused playing the last time).

So here's the thing: I do have 3 audio outputs. My 5.1-system, my headphones (plugged into front audio) and my wireless headphones.
In addendum there're 3 software values to be chosen from: default / direct sound / windows Audio session.
All running on win10 pro 64bit.

It did worked like a charm for some time. I was even able to switch the output mid-game without running into any problem - which should be "working as intended" by default if s.o.'d asked me.Then I paused playing, After pause things got that messy. Next pause, now things keep being messy.

The only config I'm getting sound on is the "default" with wireless headphones. After switching my general output to it and restarting the game.
So by choosing the usual output, I'm getting the same error messages:

<Sound> Initializing FMOD-EX now!
<Sound> Error: Cannot initialize SoundSystem!
[Error] <Sound> Couldnt create the sound system interface
<Sound> Using DummySoundSystem now!
Renderer initialization
[Error] Failed to create stereo device

Any way to get this to work?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users