#1 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:39 PM

My original Unfunning Video was only the 3rd Video I've made in over 4 years of making MWO videos that was critical of PGI and specifically questioned some decisions and called them to action.
Mechcon,CW & PGI

Clan/IS Balance Issues

These videos are rare, but they are also finely crafted and honed to target some specific and looming issue with the game. The sort of thing I have a lot of information, data and experience with. Which makes it easy to be concise, deadly and galvanizing with its content.

Unfortunately this video, as a response, lacks the sharp focus of my 'this is a problem' videos. Going after Paul specifically, ripping apart every little thing he said - whether intentional or not - would bring the the discussion down to little better than near-personal attacks about many minor things and successfully drown out my larger concerns in general.

For this reason, while I ding him for a few things, I also focus on the topics Russ brought up in his drunken fireside chat with NGNG. Due to the eclectic and situational nature of the topics he discussed; I can't really dissemble or judge them in the well-prepared investigative way my other videos are crafted. Also, I don't want to just take a dump on PGI constantly, and in general, do hope for the best from announcements like these.

I write this as a warning to you, that because of attempting to juggle these different realities this video just cannot be as tight or journalistically riveting as my other offerings. I apologize for that.

Still, we tried our best to put together something that community would enjoy, that called to task a few of Paul's missteps, that tried to honestly, if earnestly, evaluate Russ's announcements and take the audience to a natural ending point.

Thank you for watching and sharing my video. I really appreciate everyone's interest and support.

But seriously, this is my best video..

Even if it lacks memes =/

Edited by Mech The Dane, 07 March 2018 - 03:41 PM.

#2 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

cAC's easy fix, just make them a slug like the IS, done.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

View PostGrus, on 07 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

cAC's easy fix, just make them a slug like the IS, done.

Or just make them easier to use than UACs, with massive velocity increases
They can't stand to be identical to isACs, because they're better in every other way.

#4 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 07 March 2018 - 04:10 PM, said:

Or just make them easier to use than UACs, with massive velocity increases
They can't stand to be identical to isACs, because they're better in every other way.

what? no, i mean make the performance the same as the cLBX just change the name to "slug" or something and have it fire 1 round like the IS ACs

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Clan autocannons? Just junk them.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

View PostGrus, on 07 March 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

what? no, i mean make the performance the same as the cLBX just change the name to "slug" or something and have it fire 1 round like the IS ACs

Clan ACs have longer base range than IS ACs, with lower tonnage and usually lower crit slots (except AC/2, for some reason it's triple the size). The fact that they fire multiple projectiles is the only negative trait they have relative to IS ACs (except the aforementioned bulkier CAC/2). Oh, and the CAC/2 is actually already PPFLD like the IS ACs.

Not only that, but it's also just boring to have weapons for each faction having the same playstyle. For example, I personally hate the current approach to balancing SRMs where IS basically gets "free" Artemis built into the base weight of the weapon and the Clans get horrible spread by default. On paper it's balanced, sure, but in play it's not compelling at all.

I'd rather make the Clan SRMs streamfire with higher precision and maybe a little more range in exchange for now being a facetime weapon (riskier) and being hotter (as in, reduce IS SRM heat rather than increase Clan SRM heat).

Likewise it's good to keep Clan ACs firing in bursts, just give them other advantages to compensate for it.

Edited by FupDup, 07 March 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#7 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:41 PM

RIP cSPL

#8 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

CACs were a placeholder that should never have lasted past "We can't make ammo switching work", a gun that doesn't exist in tabletop.
Into the trash it should go. But that might say Paul was in error, so they stay.

#9 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:46 PM

I agree with the mobility.. Boost that all round at the moment its like oppressively slow on everything but a few lights and mediums.. at least on IS..

#10 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:06 PM

Going to be honest - I couldn't finish this. Whatever the hell you're doing with your voice (Or I suppose its more your cadence and tone) is both distracting and terrible.

What I did hear I agree with.

Edited by Bombast, 07 March 2018 - 06:07 PM.

#11 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:24 PM

View PostBombast, on 07 March 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

Going to be honest - I couldn't finish this. Whatever the hell you're doing with your voice (Or I suppose its more your cadence and tone) is both distracting and terrible.

What I did hear I agree with.

Sounds like a preacher lol

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

View PostBombast, on 07 March 2018 - 06:06 PM, said:

What? Nonsense! It's FINELY CRAFTED sir, finely crafted! It must be your speakers at fault!

#13 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

I'm glad they aren't actually listening to you guys for advice on balance.

Buff, buff, buff.....

#14 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:15 PM

About the part about FP , the problem most are having is that most developers will be needed for Solaris polish and bug fixing after launch, so the period during witch FP would be down is not a good one for extensive modification.. so most , and I , understood the news as " we need you in solaris so we have good numbers and increase the chance more people come back and stick if player population is high so you better not be in FP during that time" .

#15 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

View Postsycocys, on 07 March 2018 - 06:59 PM, said:

I'm glad they aren't actually listening to you guys for advice on balance.

Buff, buff, buff.....

Surely you mean,

Fun, fun, fun... You cant tell me you have playing this game right now? Or are you a bit more starchy then the rest of us?

#16 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

Agree as I did previous. All the input from people that understand MWO has been great and I've chucked mine in there as well.

Big issue with your video though - PGI taking down FP to "fix" it properly...

Bad suggestion and it will cause a further exodus of players. This is bad for MWO and the community as there are plenty of units that literally just exist to play FP.

Currently PGI have nothing slated for Faction Play in terms of revamp. The current changes coming next patch or whatever are not good enough and misguided IMO. So taking it offline would lead to it never coming back or, at least, 6-12months without it.

You cannot take that away from them no matter how bad you believe the mode it. It is irresponsible to make that suggestion IMO due to how many players that affects (100s, it not into 1,000 players).

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 March 2018 - 07:37 PM.

#17 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

OP.
you accuse Paul of not understanding or taking things the wrong way or whatever your statement was, yet it seems youre not understanding his message, he dont give an F about your crusade, he made it pretty clear to you, youre just not hearing it, you didnt even notice his contempt towards you.
He definately said several times " when you have suggestions or want change GET THE WHOLE POP 100% agreeing on something and he will then consider it, go re listen bro, 100% agreement needed.
He brushed you guys of, not in such direct words (well almost) and set you an impossible task, 100% pop agreement or not going to consider it at all. Did you guys really expect anything more?.
Russ and his podcast, really?, anyone take a drunken rant for anything more than a drunken rant? especially from Russ?.
@NGNG you guys let him go on drunk? really? very professional.

#18 InvictusLee

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

DANE... AHHH AHHHHHH!!

I love the intro man.
Its great. LOL.

#19 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 07 March 2018 - 07:40 PM, said:

@NGNG you guys let him go on drunk? really? very professional.

Careful with this. The last thread critical of this game's leadership for being drunk during a community event got sent stoo-raight to K-town.

#20 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:06 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed your video. I hope PGI understands what you're trying to say.
And i hope when they shut down FP they dont just leave it to rot, and to actually try to fix it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users