17 replies to this topic

#1 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

This thread is an attempt to compile the best variant of each Battlemech. For some mechs the best variant will be the most powerful because of a specific build, for some it will be the best because it gives options for a variety of loadouts and playstyles. When the best variant is a Hero only available for MC a c-bill variant will also be listed.

My goal is to keep this thread updated so if someone is interested in trying out a new chassis of Battlemech they can come here to see which one they should get.

The ones listed are based on my subjective thoughts as I've played the mechs or looked at the hardpoints and quirks. There are many I don't have a clue on and ones where opinions may differ. Any suggestions are appreciated and I'll use them to update the main post.

Thanks! I hope this is helpful.

Light – Inner Sphere
Spoiler

Light – Clan
Spoiler

Medium – Inner Sphere
Spoiler

Medium – Clan
Spoiler

Heavy – Inner Sphere
Spoiler

Heavy – Clan
Spoiler

Assault – Inner Sphere
Spoiler

Assault – Clan
Spoiler

Edited by Zookeeper Dan, 24 March 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:15 AM

My 5 cents: A list of variants is useless without the builds you used on them.

Spider
SDR-5K
Machine guns aren't that good on fragile mechs, while for LL/ERLL/LPL, the 5V has better cooldown and duration quirks.

Centurion
CN9-A
Try the AL with LFE250 + MRM40 + 4xML (you can opt for MRM30 if you want perfect sync with the lasers). Biggest alpha you can put on any Cent, plus a lot of mobility without resorting to XL (although IMO the HBK-4J does the build better).

Enforcer
?
4P. AC/20 is life, AC/20 is love.

Bushwacker
BSW-X2
P1 is excellent for splat builds - 6xSRM4 or 6xSSRM-4 tears clanners to shreds in Scouting.

Catapult
?
A1 with 6xSRM6.

Atlas
AS7-S
Not quite. Most hardpoints, sure, but if you use them all it's going to run hot. Plus you don't have any armor quirks. AS7-K has armor quirks, mobility quirks AND cooldown quirks, the only downside is the lone missile hardpoint (easily solved by using a MRM launcher).

King Crab
KGC-000
Unless you're playing that AC/2 boat build with macros, the 000 is the worst one. The 000B is the optimal variant for a variety of builds, although if you're willing to live without secondary weapon quirks then the 0000 is better.

Edited by Horseman, 12 March 2018 - 04:32 AM.

#3 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

View PostHorseman, on 12 March 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

My 5 cents: A list of variants is useless without the builds you used on them.

Machine guns aren't that good on fragile mechs, while for LL/ERLL/LPL, the 5V has better cooldown and duration quirks.

Try the AL with LFE250 + MRM40 + 4xML (you can opt for MRM30 if you want perfect sync with the lasers). Biggest alpha you can put on any Cent, plus a lot of mobility without resorting to XL (although IMO the HBK-4J does the build better).

4P. AC/20 is life, AC/20 is love.

P1 is excellent for splat builds - 6xSRM4 or 6xSSRM-4 tears clanners to shreds in Scouting.

A1 with 6xSRM6.

Not quite. Most hardpoints, sure, but if you use them all it's going to run hot. Plus you don't have any armor quirks. AS7-K has armor quirks, mobility quirks AND cooldown quirks, the only downside is the lone missile hardpoint (easily solved by using a MRM launcher).

Unless you're playing that AC/2 boat build with macros, the 000 is the worst one. The 000B is the optimal variant for a variety of builds, although if you're willing to live without secondary weapon quirks then the 0000 is better.

Thanks! I'll update with your suggestions.

I was thinking of going through and adding reasons if not full loadouts. Your comments are the kind that are helpful.

#4 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

The Spider 5V is *not*, by any means, a top tier variant of the chassis. It's the worst chassis, and it's mainly due to the fact that you can only mount two *slots* worth of two laser weapons in the CT. They would have to put some insane quirks on that variant to make it anywhere near "best", and they've never come close.

Currently, I'd vote the 5K or the Anansi, although it's almost a moot point, since the entire chassis is deprecated/obsolete.

#5 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

I still stand by my TDK as far as Commandos are concerned. Max engine, BAP, and 4 mlas (or ermlas). Stuff in extra heatsinks as you can, Group the most into punches (each arm independently grouped). Focus on your path and chaos, run with the wind, shoot things in you arc of fire, then go cool off for a few. Rinse, repeat.

Basically run into the enemy's murderball, and Sprint out the other side. Keep doing that till you start feeling the ball away from itself, and hope your friends can smash them once that happens. You can weave between enemy mechs, and encourage friendly fire as they try and swat you. Plays like a locust, with a bit more armor.

Edited by Bluefalcon13, 12 March 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostThroe, on 12 March 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

They would have to put some insane quirks on that variant to make it anywhere near "best", and they've never come close
See, that is where we disagree - another 5% energy cooldown, another 10% Laser Duration and 10% Energy Range. The only thing the 5K has it its' favour are four machine gun mounts.

Edited by Horseman, 12 March 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#7 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:50 PM

I'd say the Purifier is the best Kit Fox, because of its high shoulder energy hardpoints. While the mech can get by without those, for players that like hill humping those hardpoints are pretty damn powerful.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:08 PM

NTG-C thanks... 4ERL / cGauss = best variant.
ASN23 is best ASN now since nerf.
Plus others.

Overall your "best" mechs seem to be based on a personal preference and overall, that is the only way to really decide.
Like I'd take a WHM-6D with a 57pt alpha over a WHM-6R anyday.

Also some variants listed are not free-to-play, they are pay only (at this stage).

#9 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:54 PM

I would like to point out that an MCII-1 is not better than the -B, -2, or -4. It may do better with gauss, but that is not the most effective, or meta in this game.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 16 March 2018 - 10:54 PM, said:

I would like to point out that an MCII-1 is not better than the -B, -2, or -4. It may do better with gauss, but that is not the most effective, or meta in this game.

Sorry, incorrect.

Taking the "B" out of the equation the MCII-1 is essentially on-par with the B as it is a "baby" Deathstrike, the best variant.

If you run THIS BUILD or THIS BUILD - You are META... To claim otherwise means you are simply unaware of the current META. I regularly put down 1500dmg games in it with ease in QP.

The MCII-2 is only good as a brawler, basically the "Scorch" build and brawling is not the META currently plus the hitboxes are really bad with missile pods.

The MCII-4 is just a ATM boat and well, ATMs aren't META either - they kinda suck. You can have fun in the mech, but it's not that versatile build/effectiveness wise.

The MCII-A is actually a hidden gem. Run THIS build and you can legit alpha 5 times continuously, in under 15 seconds, for around 250-300dmg. That is utterly insane, telling you now as a 300-400m mech (just outside brawling), it's amazing.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 17 March 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#11 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:43 PM

The -4 isn't just an ATM boat. It does LRM70 like a champ. You can use them for direct or indirect fire at any range, and apart from that 90m ATM optimal range, it does way better. I've gotten 5 kill/8 KMDD games with that build against T1/T2 players.

The -2 isn't just a brawler. It can run an almost identical LRM70 build to the -4, except with additional backup lasers. I have gotten several 5 kill/8-9 KMDD matches against T2 players with it.

The -A is a very good mech, but it isn't quite as good as the others. And no, gauss hasn't been the meta for a long time, that's laser vomit.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 16 March 2018 - 11:43 PM.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 March 2018 - 12:11 AM

Sorry mate but you cannot put the words "META" as to a definition of a good chassis and then go talking about LRMS in the very next post.

I don't know what rock you've been under... But... Gauss/Vomit is the META for Clan Assaults and has been since the MCII-1 and MCII-DS came out. DS being just a bit better than the '1'.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 17 March 2018 - 12:14 AM.

#13 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:01 AM

IMO: Locust LCT-1E > Locust LCT-PB

The ECM is a nice to have but surely not a must have for the Locust. Also, i dont agree with the “a nice mix of ballistics and energy hardpoints” - i would rather drop the ballistic hardpoints for a set of enery hardpoints...

Edited by Old dirty B, 21 March 2018 - 11:06 AM.

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

View PostOld dirty B, on 21 March 2018 - 11:01 AM, said:

The ECM is a nice to have but surely not a must have for the Locust.

It's not about the ECM, it's about the Stealth Armor, making you completely invisible to everyone while still moving at 140kph, and hitting with some decent firepower.

#15 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

I've always had significantly more success in my The Death's Kneel commando than my 1D or 2D. It runs very cool and has a higher engine cap at 240 - that extra speed makes a huge difference. Gets torn to pieces by the Piranha but what IS light doesn't get torn to shreds by them?

For the Vindicators the 1AA is generally considered the best. Has the biggest engine cap and has dual AMS so going fast or slow you can do somewhat with either. Nothing you can't really do in an Assassin or Phoenix Hawk though. The 1X has a lot of more for more non-traditional and non-optimal builds and playstyles but its really not that great. I've had a lot of success with the 1R running 5 MPLs and a MRM20. https://mwo.smurfy-n...cfc7a5726c39ba5
The 1R can't do much that a few other 40 and 45 ton IS mediums can do though. I don't own it but the SIB seems to be thought of as the work Vindicator. I would get more opinions than just mine but its easily between the 1AA's flexibility and the 1R's more traditional skirmisher builds.

I don't own all of the Awesomes, just the 8Q, 8T, and 8V. The 8Q and 8V are considered garbage tier, and not unreasonably (raise that engine cap PGI, PLEASE!) but the 8T can run two MRM40s with five backup MLs and still have a pretty good LFE engine. The 8R can run even more MRMs but I imagine that you can't really take advantage of those due to ammo constraints and that the most you can get out of it is two MRM40s and two MRM10s but that extra firepower comes at the cost of space and weight for heatsinks. I don't like MRMs very much mostly because I'm shite with them but I would guess that either the 8T, 8R, or the 9M are now the best ones thanks to MRMs. My experience with SPPCs and HPPCs are that they're still not enough to elevate the 8Q and 8V above MRM spam.

#16 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:51 AM

IMHO, the Awesome 8Q is not "garbage tier." It's not good, but it is not one of the worst of the Awesome chassis. It can mount a pair of Heavy PPC's with backup weapons for under 90-meter engagements. 30 points of pin-point, front-loaded damage + weapon related quirks means it can't be garbage tier. The MRM's on the other chassis are fun, sure, but that damage is all over the place while the 8Q can casually remove components with precise, 30-point blasts at good range.

Yes, it is still an Awesome, and yes, any Gauss + laser vomit mech (particularly Clan ones) will do better, but a pair of heavy PPC's is comparable to a pair of Gauss rifles, and it can mount backup weapons, too, so it's not that bad a mech.

Edited by oldradagast, 23 March 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#17 Old dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:24 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 22 March 2018 - 05:52 PM, said:

It's not about the ECM, it's about the Stealth Armor, making you completely invisible to everyone while still moving at 140kph, and hitting with some decent firepower.

Stealth armor only make you "invisible" against simpletons, good pilots will notice a mech running around with or without stealth armor. The ECM scramble on the radar already is a big giveaway, you dont even have to see the mech to know!

Besides that, a good experienced locust/light pilot should know how to move around unnoticed - once you master that skill you dont need ecm and stealt no more... When you get there you want extra firepower and dps!

Edited by Old dirty B, 23 March 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#18 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:56 AM

Awesome 8Q with 3PPC and 4MPL is a pretty good Assault atm. It is also faster than most other Assaults.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users