Solaris Roll Out

74 replies to this topic

#41 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I hope there are fast 1v1 2v2 1 match options and then a 2 out of 3 option.

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 17 March 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Do you remember when we had R & R and falling down? I do. Those features did more to dictate the flow of battle and play styles more than anything PGI has ever done. The best light pilots in the game came from that era.

"Crummy builds". Anything that doesn't have the best is apparently a crummy build. Again, don't play a hardcore mode if you don't want the extra inventory management. That is a pretty simply solution right there. There are more and more people who enjoy risk based gaming every day. Again, who cares about losing c-bills? Hardcore mode appeals to people with a decent mech stable and credit purse already. They already don't give a rats pucker about actually making c-bills. They have no sense of urgency to buy mechs anymore. So, who really cares about breaking them up?

No. The only people who wouldn't enjoy such a mode are on the lower end of the skill spectrum, are starting players or someone so casual over the years they are scrounging for credits. So, play the starter league and let other people have something special. What's the point of hoarding untold millions of C-bills that have no actual purpose?

Why do you think there is a class of players who want nothing less than mindless, unlimited ammo, no heat, god mode, lowest common denominator games?

#43 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostMystere, on 17 March 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

Why do you think there is a class of players who want nothing less than mindless, unlimited ammo, no heat, god mode, lowest common denominator games?

I was responding to people who were pretty much saying that? The ones pretty much saying why would anyone ever want to risk their stuff, ie permanent damage hardcore matches.

Well there are games built around that exact premise and it wouldn't have any negative impact if there were a hardcore solaris league. It would actually do the game good.

And yes. There is a class of player like that or there wouldn't be so much effort being put into "MW5".

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 17 March 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#44 4rcs1ne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 474 posts
  • LocationKnoxville,TN

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:54 PM

Solaris MUST be a success considering the massive failure that CW was.

If they manage to screw up Solaris they will demonstrate to the entire community that they are inept at game development, which will hurt MW5 sales.

#45 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:26 AM

They passed up an engine update and adding AI in MWO. Now it’s too late.

I’m waiting for MW5 to kick back get drunk and chill with friends. Something this game never gave me.

I’m a casual that doesn’t suck. I’m definitely more of a twitch arcade type player. That said I have zero interest in Solaris. The bolt ons don’t even look good to me.

Between HBS game and MW5 coming out. Unless they announce MWO2 on Unreal with 100% account import at MechCon this year as a surprise. This game will definitely be a ghost town by Dec.

I gave some suggestions about how to go about putting mechs in MW5 and keeping MWO fresh, but I doubt those will happen.

View PostMatt2496, on 17 March 2018 - 08:54 PM, said:

Solaris MUST be a success considering the massive failure that CW was.

If they manage to screw up Solaris they will demonstrate to the entire community that they are inept at game development, which will hurt MW5 sales.

PGI is not inept at making a game.

PvP is just a toxic hole you shouldn’t force everyone to play 100% of the time.

It’s not that I suck or get farmed. I just don’t find pvp fun when you’re playing to win and being forced to play with LARPing Warriors. It’s not their fault though. That on PGI for forcing them to play pvp.

Edited by Imperius, 18 March 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#46 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:43 AM

View PostImperius, on 18 March 2018 - 03:26 AM, said:

PGI is not inept at making a game.

PvP is just a toxic hole you shouldn’t force everyone to play 100% of the time.

It’s not that I suck or get farmed. I just don’t find pvp fun when you’re playing to win and being forced to play with LARPing Warriors. It’s not their fault though. That on PGI for forcing them to play pvp.

PVP is not a game type for everyone. The long history of MMO PVP servers emptying fast in favor of their PVE counterparts is a testament to that.

People really need to learn how to accept personal responsibility instead of blaming the developer. <smh>

#47 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:49 AM

The main risk Solaris faces is actually the game mode itself. There's a reason there's that 1vs1 or 2vs2 isn't popular in all the other MMO games

Edited by Nightbird, 18 March 2018 - 06:51 AM.

#48 EnochsBook

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

It seems to me that PGI is making way too big of a deal out of Solaris, a game mode that sure could be fun from time to time but will get boring very fast for a lot of people.
Spending all this time and resources into a mode that could have just as well been a simple addition in a regular update and presenting it as the next level of MWO seems miguided when there are other games modes already in the game that could use the attention.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

#49 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:21 AM

View PostEnochsBook, on 18 March 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I have my doubts, extreme doubts.

#50 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostRogue Three, on 17 March 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

I really don't understand the thought process behind introducing 14 more queues (1v1 and 2v2 with seven mech tiers each) at a time when there are already population problems in the existing queues. After all, a given player can't queue for Solaris and another game mode at the same time.

I'm sure a significant portion of players were hoping for a mode like this, or PGI wouldn't have bothered developing it, but I strongly doubt that it will bring in the hordes of new players needed to fill the queues, especially not without a lot more advertising outside the game.

But let's keep optimistic.

Smaller ques keep a game going longer as the population shrinks.

#51 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 March 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

PVP is not a game type for everyone. The long history of MMO PVP servers emptying fast in favor of their PVE counterparts is a testament to that.

People really need to learn how to accept personal responsibility instead of blaming the developer. <smh>

If you were running MechWarrior franchise. Would you have skipped out on PVE?

#52 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

well its not like PGI had a choice

microsoft forced PGI into making a multiplayer only version of mechwarrior

but a PVE expansion certainly wouldve been better than solaris

#53 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 16 March 2018 - 11:45 AM, said:

Too late. Paul already announced that Flamers are banned from Solaris. (Last NGNG masters challenge...see reddit thread for relevant discussion).

Edit:
https://www.reddit.c...ame=OutreachHPG

They actually listened to a whinefest about flamers OR got the genious idea themself... They actually frigging did it.. Didnt even want to let the flamers be allowed to see if it would be such a fearful weapon, for THEN to adjust accordingly and or banned.

Theres not enough facepalm for this one

#54 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:48 PM

The worst part of arena fighting in any game is crowd control.

Solaris would be absolutely terrible if there were flamers or consumables.

Wow shut down a mech and popped the cockpit. Awesome experience.

The balance of flamers in regular pay is the fact that the rest of the guys team will more than likely vaporize you or you are mostly useless for most of the match in hopes that the battle lines close.

Everyone would put at least 1 flamer on their mech. Solaris would be mechs staring at each other, flaming. Would be a worse flame war than these crap forums. Perhaps one of the first forward thinking decisions we've seen them make that will have a positive effect.

#55 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 18 March 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

The worst part of arena fighting in any game is crowd control.

Solaris would be absolutely terrible if there were flamers or consumables.

Wow shut down a mech and popped the cockpit. Awesome experience.

How different is that from just being popped in the cockpit immediately? Posted Image

Besides, I love crowd control. It's like beating your opponent to a pulp and dying via a thousand paper cuts. Posted Image

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 18 March 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

The balance of flamers in regular pay is the fact that the rest of the guys team will more than likely vaporize you or you are mostly useless for most of the match in hopes that the battle lines close.

Everyone would put at least 1 flamer on their mech. Solaris would be mechs staring at each other, flaming. Would be a worse flame war than these crap forums. Perhaps one of the first forward thinking decisions we've seen them make that will have a positive effect.

Well, with that logic, can we also have no heat in Solaris? We wouldn't want people to get shut down and popped in the cockpit as a result. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 18 March 2018 - 04:22 PM.

#56 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostTordin, on 18 March 2018 - 02:25 PM, said:

They actually listened to a whinefest about flamers OR got the genious idea themself... They actually frigging did it.. Didnt even want to let the flamers be allowed to see if it would be such a fearful weapon, for THEN to adjust accordingly and or banned.

Theres not enough facepalm for this one

I think it was not so much “listened to a whinefest” as it was them being made aware of and actually paying attention to 1v1 competitions that Silken and some others recently held. Flamers made for pretty lame/boring/quick/one-sided matches there and thus, it is reasonable to conclude that they will be equally unappealing (for lack of a better word) in the Solaris format.

My beefs with the flamer ban is not the ban itself, but the lack of foresight it shows. One, they have a friggin pseudo-Ember with 4 flamers as part of their Solaris hero pack, which suggests that the reality of flamers in this enviornment never occurred to them, like, at all. Two, the fact that they are unable or unwilling to attempt to account for flamers via their creation of mech divisions gives me no hope that the divisions will be remotely interesting in any regard. Third and finally, it irritates me that PGI appears wholly unaware that flame lock has always been a thing in small group combat. Hell, go do some searching of Clanners claiming IS OP in scouting. Up until the skills tree and their relative elimination by Bushwackers, for a good long while folks complained of the Griffin running 2 flamers and 4-SRM4s as being some sort of OP monster. It was OK for 4v4 but not 2v2? Not only that, its like they never saw the B33F’s Nova headhunter video; did they really think they cured the game of this just because they nerffed SPL...and if so, what does that say about their over all balance efforts of the last year? Sigh.

Edited by Bud Crue, 19 March 2018 - 04:08 AM.

#57 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

I echo Bud Crue's point about foresight. At least PGI is responding/reacting. The next thing to worry about is, what else did PGI miss.

The fact that the S7 pack contains a flamer-equipped Firestarter really shows PGI's lack of knowledge of their own game, or rather a better job can be done with regards to planning and design. Maybe not release a mech pack until community-testing is done and kinks ironed out.

So what else? Rocket launcher builds?

#58 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

im buy HBS BT Game for the Future...only for interesting Events im Playing in Future MWO...and MW5 ?????never buy a Coop/Singleplayer generic game

#59 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostImperius, on 18 March 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

I came to MWO expecting 100% PvP. Does that give you a clue to my answer?

#60 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostMystere, on 19 March 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

I came to MWO expecting 100% PvP. Does that give you a clue to my answer?

Sure, but were you expecting the quality of the current PvP mechanics?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users