#1 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

https://mwomercs.com...lease-mar-20th/

Set of 8 Bonuses and Cockpit view have been put up, and they're good. Unlike the MDD, this seems like a mech where it'll be fine to break the Omnipod set bonuses. The cockpit is fantastic, probably even better than the Roughneck.

I'm super excited. I feel like the SNS is going to be a lot of fun, even if (especially because?) it's not going to be particularly good at Laser Vomit.

Edited by Seranov, 18 March 2018 - 04:50 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

I'm just concerned about its vulnerable STs. Those STs are the size of a barn door, especially from the sides.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 18 March 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#3 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:59 PM

It's funny how the premium-only Manul gets the best hardpoints and arguably best quirks at the same time.

#4 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 March 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

I'm just concerned about its vulnerable STs. Those STs are the size of a barn door, especially from the sides.

Yeah, it'll likely be pretty squishy, but I'm looking forward to playing it, anyway.

View PostFupDup, on 18 March 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

It's funny how the premium-only Manul gets the best hardpoints and arguably best quirks at the same time.

Eh. It won't hold a candle to other Heavies for laser vomit, or even the HBK-IIC, imo. I don't really think the Manul will be all that impressive in practice.

#5 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostSeranov, on 18 March 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

Eh. It won't hold a candle to other Heavies for laser vomit, or even the HBK-IIC, imo. I don't really think the Manul will be all that impressive in practice.

Not if you pair those lasers with a Gauss. :)

#6 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:38 PM

I mean, yeah, you can totally do that, but then the quirks he was talking about go away. So I can definitely see folks running Gauss + 5 ERML or Gauss + 2 HLL + 3 ERML builds, but I still don't think the Manul will be much better than other options in its weight class. I'm totally considering dropping another 30 bucks on the reinforcements and hero packs, though.

I haven't really had a Clan Heavy that had good speed, mobility, hardpoints AND looked cool before, and the SNS ticks all those boxes for me. I will likely not be playing anything else after Tuesday for quite a while!

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostSeranov, on 18 March 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

I'm comparing it to other Sun Spiders specifically. The Manul's pods unlock the best builds available to the chassis.

Also, I bet that 2 ERPPC + 3 MPL + 25 Dubs on the Manul would be a nice build. I'm currently running a Cauldron Born with something similar (2 ERPPC, 6 SPL, 23 Dubs) and it works great. Not exactly end-all-be-all meta, but certainly quite effective.

#8 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:16 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 March 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'm comparing it to other Sun Spiders specifically. The Manul's pods unlock the best builds available to the chassis.

Also, I bet that 2 ERPPC + 3 MPL + 25 Dubs on the Manul would be a nice build. I'm currently running a Cauldron Born with something similar (2 ERPPC, 6 SPL, 23 Dubs) and it works great. Not exactly end-all-be-all meta, but certainly quite effective.

Manul may have the best pods, but the other's quirks are nothing to scoff at either. That Prime variant has a pretty hefty UAC Jam Chance quirk, and the C has an entirely new type of quirk, Target Decay Duration.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 18 March 2018 - 07:16 PM, said:

Manul may have the best pods, but the other's quirks are nothing to scoff at either. That Prime variant has a pretty hefty UAC Jam Chance quirk, and the C has an entirely new type of quirk, Target Decay Duration.

To make full use of that Target Decay you're gonna be boating Lurms. That comes with its own downsides... Also I think that the non-ECM heads on the Black Lanner already have this quirk too? (They have some sort of sensor quirk, just can't remember what).

The Prime only gets one ballistic hardpoint, so that quirk may be nice it's kinda hard to make full use of it given that limitation.

I think the Manul's quirks are better because it has the most agility quirks (only variant with Accel/Decel) and 5% laser duration is universally applicable to just able any loadout and situation (especially when you come with 5 energy hardpoints stock). The 20% ERPPC velocity is a nice little cherry on top.

#10 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

Just pretend it's a 70 ton clam marauder and SHIELD DEM STs!!!!

#11 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 March 2018 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'd argue that the A is the best (or perhaps just my favourite) one and is the one that occupies the most distinct new niche as a set-of-8. Most of the B will likely be used in solid builds too. The Manul is a typical Clan laser heavy with fewer mounts but higher up, but not clearly better than existing higher mounted Clan laser Heavies. Consider that a similar tonnage Clan Heavy (granted with JJs) can really only take at most 2xcERPPC as an effective loadout.

I can see your point about certain pods from the Manul being useful, but I don't really buy the argument that it's the best set-of-8 variant.

Edited by Krivvan, 18 March 2018 - 07:55 PM.

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 March 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

To make full use of that Target Decay you're gonna be boating Lurms. That comes with its own downsides... Also I think that the non-ECM heads on the Black Lanner already have this quirk too? (They have some sort of sensor quirk, just can't remember what).

The Prime only gets one ballistic hardpoint, so that quirk may be nice it's kinda hard to make full use of it given that limitation.

I think the Manul's quirks are better because it has the most agility quirks (only variant with Accel/Decel) and 5% laser duration is universally applicable to just able any loadout and situation (especially when you come with 5 energy hardpoints stock). The 20% ERPPC velocity is a nice little cherry on top.

View PostKrivvan, on 18 March 2018 - 07:49 PM, said:

I'd argue that the A is the best (or perhaps just my favourite) one and is the one that occupies the most distinct new niche as a set-of-8. Most of the B will likely be used in solid builds too. The Manul is a typical Clan laser heavy with fewer mounts but higher up, but not clearly better than existing higher mounted Clan laser Heavies. Consider that a similar tonnage Clan Heavy (granted with JJs) can really only take at most 2xcERPPC as an effective loadout.

I can see your point about certain pods from the Manul being useful, but I don't really buy the argument that it's the best set-of-8 variant.

To be honest here, The Manul is useful, and yes the A Variant is very useful, the actual best Sun Spider has to be the free hero variant way back in December, at least, in my opinion.

It's 8-pod set comes with 2B, 1 in each side torso, with a CD quirk for ballistics. Already, you can set it up for Dual Gauss. I can see the A variant being useful for Dakka Ballistic power, and the Manul adjusted to being a laservomit staple, but, here's the thing.

The Side torsos only have 6 crit slots available, according to the loadout specs. 4 Crit slots are taken up from FF and ES, and the XL engine takes 2 more, only leaving 6 crit slots. Sure, you could look to the arms for more crit space, I belive 2-3 more crit spaces in the arms, but they themselves are probably relatively weak.

I'm not sure. All I see from this right now is a Dual Gauss or Laservomit mech, nothing else. Otherwise, you're pressured for crit slots, which is very important for bringing what you need.

It'll be up there in participating though. the Torso mounts are really good.

Edited by Scout Derek, 18 March 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 March 2018 - 08:07 PM, said:

the actual best Sun Spider has to be the free hero variant way back in December, at least, in my opinion.
It's 8-pod set comes with 2B, 1 in each side torso, with a CD quirk for ballistics.

I think you're right, I totally forgot about that one. Where did you find its quirk info? Never mind, found it, https://mwomercs.com...e709d80f029.jpg

Edited by Krivvan, 18 March 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

View PostSeranov, on 18 March 2018 - 05:38 PM, said:

I mean, yeah, you can totally do that, but then the quirks he was talking about go away. So I can definitely see folks running Gauss + 5 ERML or Gauss + 2 HLL + 3 ERML builds, but I still don't think the Manul will be much better than other options in its weight class. I'm totally considering dropping another 30 bucks on the reinforcements and hero packs, though.

Clanwise, Manul (or SNS overall) is far better generalist than either the Summoner, or the Nova Cat, as those two have some glaring issues.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 March 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#15 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 18 March 2018 - 08:30 PM, said:

Clanwise, Manul (or SNS overall) is far better generalist than either the Summoner, or the Nova Cat, as those two have some glaring issues.

Nova Cat especially. Those arms really hurt it.

And the Summoner, is really tonnage starved. Sun Spider fits the niche well.

#16 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

I think it's very foolish to pre-order any mech, unless it's something you simply must have like for example the Mad Cat MK2 which I know a lot of people were waiting for.

As Bandito said, the side torsos look freaking massive, and extremely vulnerable from the side.

#17 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

What makes a 'Mech with massive sides bad is when it also has a protruding CT, so that it can be selectively dismantled from any angle. The Sun Spider does not appear to suffer that deficiency, so it should be fine- especially since it does not have to expose as much of itself to fire as most other broad-sided 'Mechs do. It looks like what would happen if you combined the hardpoint geometry and hitboxes of a Stalker with the speed of a Marauder IIC, then hit the result with a shrink ray. That much firepower doing 87kph with the ability to ridge-peek effectively will not be a sadmech. It may not be the next meta cheesepuff darling, but it won't be bad either.

#18 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 18 March 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

Nova Cat especially. Those arms really hurt it.

I feel bad for most of my Nova Cats. My Prime(S) is running shoulder ER Peepers and two RA LPLs (And shields with the left arm), but... It's just so mediocre compared to my other Clan Heavies. Except for Timbers, but I never had luck with those, even if I love my Laservom Timber Wolf.

#19 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

Its another waste of money in a long line of bad mechs.. I'll wait on this one because it looks horrible and very easy to kill. Quirks are also useless in my eyes.

That said enjoy your new shiny.. I'll give this one a miss for now as i've been burnt too much lately on previous packs.. (and i get a free one anyway which i most likely wont use.)

Edited by Samial, 18 March 2018 - 11:27 PM.

#20 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:59 PM

View PostSamial, on 18 March 2018 - 11:26 PM, said:

Its another waste of money in a long line of bad mechs.

SNS is not gonna be a bad mech thanks to Clan tech. It will have its share of issues, but it is entirely serviceable, unlike the Thanatos.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users