Predictions and Bias - the Old School Way

45 replies to this topic

#21 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

That's what I like about his art style - it's believable.

#22 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

View PostSkwisgaar Skwigelf, on 22 December 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

That's what I like about his art style - it's believable.

Amen! ;)

#23 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

I'm not a fan of the bulbous/rounded mechs myself.

OMG... Crockett/Katana... barf.
Posted Image

#24 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

That is the most godaweful ugliest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

It's like... it was supposed to be cool, but somebody spilled coffee on the original drafts...

#25 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Huron Warrior. Really?

#26 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Good news! It's a FRR mech available in/before 3050! JOY!

#27 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

View PostDihm, on 22 December 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

Good news! It's a FRR mech available in/before 3050! JOY!

YAY!!!

OMG, that is almost suicidal... so we advertise this fact? Or is it like the wierd family member nobody really mentions?

#28 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Make it the newbie-mobile.

If they can survive in that thing they'll do alright.

#29 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

I dunno, I can think of some really fun paint schemes for that thing.

I say we advertise it.

#30 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:13 PM

View PostDihm, on 22 December 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

I dunno, I can think of some really fun paint schemes for that thing.

I say we advertise it.

This is either going to be heartbreaking or hilarious. I'm thinking maybe both.
A certain Mechanical Unicorn comes to mind...

#31 Skarr

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

At least some of the other concepts of the thing are slighty better.

#32 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostDihm, on 22 December 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

I guess with arms... you need SOME way to help you stand back up if you fall

The design behind arms is to more easily pivot and aim in multiple directions. Did you ever use the arm pivot feature in mech 4 that let you keep your torso facing forward but swiftly aim to left or right with the respective arm.

Arms have a rational in their deisign most of the time. Take them on a case by case basis. Different arms serve differently some act to seperate dangerous munitions from the inner reactor of the mech, or to allow for heavier weapons on lighter mech frames to disipate recoil without throwing the mech backwards. True some mech designs are purely visual. Some are just good looking some are just bad looking. I'm not opposed to humanoid designs but I will tell you I don't like many of the humanoids in the mech universe, even as a long time fan. The atlas has some of the uggliest designs of any mech, and I really liked their revision of its appearance. I hope we get the ability to create custom pain jobs for our mechs, akin to forza.

#33 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:47 PM

Can someone please explain mech hands????

I swee we have 3 of the 4 revealed mechs with hands. I'm wondering if you can shoot a mech off its feet then they have to recover and for some reason hands better serve this?

Edited by kamikaziechameleon, 22 December 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#34 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

View Postkamikaziechameleon, on 22 December 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Can someone please explain mech hands????

I swee we have 3 of the 4 revealed mechs with hands. I'm wondering if you can shoot a mech off its feet then they have to recover and for some reason hands better serve this?

Likely so - that much wieght and force needs to be spread out over a large surface. I imagine something with a gun-barrel in stead of a hand will find getting up much harder, as the barrel will likely push into the ground.

#35 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Plus the bore of the barrel could get boogered up and cause a misfire, or if a laser weapon it could mess up the focusing array and cause it to not work.

#36 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:35 PM

View PostSkwisgaar Skwigelf, on 22 December 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

Plus the bore of the barrel could get boogered up and cause a misfire, or if a laser weapon it could mess up the focusing array and cause it to not work.

View PostKillBox, on 22 December 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

Likely so - that much wieght and force needs to be spread out over a large surface. I imagine something with a gun-barrel in stead of a hand will find getting up much harder, as the barrel will likely push into the ground.

In this event if we have hands there better be mechs getting knocked over otherwise they end up being ridiculous looking. Just saying its been something that bothered me for a long time. I wonder if there will be a strategic detriment to mechs that can't get up?

Edit:

I just feel that in many cases a mech could recover with their weapons and clearing them.. well there could be a procedure if need be but I feel that many of the weapons should be able to easily clear themselves, almost nothing you shove in there could jamp it unless you jam it full of mech armor, lol concrete regular metals, dirt, etc should not be an issue as in the case of balistics they will be cleared by virtue of the air infront of the projectile, in the case of lasers if the barel is tilted foward anything you blast should melt and fall out of the barel.

Ok I'm thinking to much about this.

Edited by kamikaziechameleon, 22 December 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#37 ZnSeventeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

View Postkamikaziechameleon, on 22 December 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

In this event if we have hands there better be mechs getting knocked over otherwise they end up being ridiculous looking. Just saying its been something that bothered me for a long time. I wonder if there will be a strategic detriment to mechs that can't get up?

While I agree that most of the time mechs have no need of hands, they are very useful in melee combat. Also, since they are used for raids, occasionally for moving heavy equipment and for various other small purposes where a giant hand is needed, but no crane is available. You may note that the clans don't have hands on their mechs. They don't do melee, and a clanner would never use his mechs for anything other than combat. Hence no hands.

#38 kamikaziechameleon

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

View PostZnSeventeen, on 22 December 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

While I agree that most of the time mechs have no need of hands, they are very useful in melee combat. Also, since they are used for raids, occasionally for moving heavy equipment and for various other small purposes where a giant hand is needed, but no crane is available. You may note that the clans don't have hands on their mechs. They don't do melee, and a clanner would never use his mechs for anything other than combat. Hence no hands.

While I'm not opposed to it(because it would be sweet!!) I severally doubt melee combat will make an appearance. Having hands might be cannon but if they aren't used in the game they could do away with them in the designs just for this game. Its confusing visual design.

#39 Dihm

• 3,312 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:01 PM

You guys need to think of non-combat applications. You're missing out on a plethera of uses for incredibly powerful manipulators.

I don't see how that makes it confusing, that logic confuses me... Technically we don't need a cockpit since it's a virtual mech, so since they aren't needed in the game, it's a confusing design feature of the mechs and should be removed?

Edited by Dihm, 22 December 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#40 KillBox

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Moreover, the discussion about Melee is going to be a largely speculative flame-fest with no real outcome.

But Melee should be a feature at some point, and not necessarily hard to pull off - take (and I hate to use the example) Modern Warfare 2/3. You're running about, dakka dakka, dodge dakka, and all of a sudden, someone comes around the corner... you simply push "e" or whatever the keybinding is, and slash! Blood, pus, hospital and court-case!

Why not use something as simple as that? You're giggling about in your Atlas, calling everone n00bs, round a corner and you're point-blank with an enemy Mech - you push "e" or whatever, and about 1.5 seconds later: "BAM!" left hook, spare parts are flying, things are broken, warning lights are on.

I can't see how it has to be any more involved than that, honestly. But of course, YMMV, and our Clan fans will be in vein of "We don't have fists or whatever"... the price you pay for having all the nice toys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users