Founder Mechs

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bhaalspawn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:54 AM

Hello all.

I'm trying the game for the first time since CB and as I'm waiting for it to download can someone suggest the most new player friendly of the original 4 founder's mechs?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:59 AM

The four founder mechs are:

Jenner JR7-D
Hunchback 4G
Catapult C1
Atlas AS7-D.

Now they're all pretty decent, but if you mean the most friendly of each chassis... Generally most Hunchback variants are quite friendly. The Jenner D I believe is the best out of the Jenners. Catapults.... I love 'em but not sure if any is better than the other.
Atlas, people generally like the S or D-DC more than the D.

#3 Bhaalspawn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

Thanks, I think I'll look up the hunchback. I just needed some sort of pointer to get going, stopped playing the MW games after giving up on this game.

Might take me a while to scrape the dust off....

#4 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 March 2018 - 11:59 AM, said:

The Jenner D I believe is the best out of the Jenners.

Best Jenners are the Oxide and the -F

The Jenner -D it is far worse than those, and one of the worst light mechs in the game.

Edited by Zergling, 21 March 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

View PostZergling, on 21 March 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

Best Jenners are the Oxide and the -F

The Jenner -D it is far worse than those, and one of the worst light mechs in the game.

Why is the D the worst?
I think you're thinking of the K.

The D was so popular it was made Sarah's Mech, the Founder's mech, and the champion mech.

Oxide has severe ammunition shortages. The F is only good because laser vomit.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:51 AM

View PostBhaalspawn, on 20 March 2018 - 12:08 PM, said:

Thanks, I think I'll look up the hunchback. I just needed some sort of pointer to get going, stopped playing the MW games after giving up on this game.

Might take me a while to scrape the dust off....

Good luck.

Some recent (and a not so recent) Hunchback videos.

The Hunchback hero mech.
Gameplay isn't phenomenal, but take note that there are two crosshairs, and the final kill that I get is a target that's off my screen, taking advantage of both arm aiming and convergence (though unable to aim at and focus him directly, the fact that my lasers form a ^ angle to get to where I point, meant my left arm laser got him on the way to where I actually pointed).
(That weapon setup was rather awkward.)

Hunchback 4H.. (This first video isn't important, just generic tips and a "suddenly Night Gyr" situation, where a mech 25 tons heavier than me appears out of nowhere at point blank range with nearly full health. Don't panic.)
Second video goes into how my skill tree is decked out and then the quirks as a result after a quick match (which show cases a bad situation to avoid at all costs) as well as changing from the build that a new player was using [which inspired the short series] to a new build... and then the perfect match.
Finally, this video is without narration and is entirely showcasing some solo play for some ideas of how to survive if you do neglect the notion of working alongside the team (which can sometimes help the team by pinching/sandwiching the enemy, but sometimes can just lead you to dying a lonely death). (You can skip like 2 minutes if you don't care how I got behind the enemy team.)

As for the older video, this 4P video showcases a way to use the stock engine / speed / armor values (adjusted but still the same amount) for a quick, cheap way to get a powerful build that isn't going to put you into harm's way too fast and will give you enough firepower to deal with anything.

Edited by Koniving, 21 March 2018 - 06:52 AM.

#7 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 March 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Why is the D the worst?
I think you're thinking of the K.

The D was so popular it was made Sarah's Mech, the Founder's mech, and the champion mech.

Oxide has severe ammunition shortages. The F is only good because laser vomit.

The K is worse than the D, but the D isn't much better. The Oxide and F are considerably better than the D, which struggles to do anything well.

The D just can't do SRM splat like the Oxide, and can't do laser poke as well as the F, so it is left in a 'jack of all trades, master of none' state where it is fairly miserable.

Note that while I'm not a great player, I'm still above average. I ran the -D over a week ago for the Trial by Fire Phase 1 event and I struggled to do anything good with the mech, when I have no problems doing fine with other lights like the Locust, Mist Lynx, Kit Fox, Cougar and Arctic Cheetah.

Edited by Zergling, 21 March 2018 - 06:56 AM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:08 AM

Hm. To each their own.

What disappoints me is I can't do what I used to do with it, I miss the 360 degree jump-laser/LRM snipes. Once 2014 hit that went out the window.

I wasn't especially great (so many LRMs under minimum range). But I did pretty good with it.
Still do. I use the F as an ER PPC + 5 ML firehouse. D's more my interceptor... and the K...just collects mothballs.
Oxide's pretty good but ammunition is always an issue. There just is never enough of it.

(Note the video is 2012... everyone thought repair and rearm would be coming back so few embraced double heatsinks and bankrupting XL engines [lose a match with an XL engine and you were looking at repair bills of WELL over 800k, with earnings of 300 at best.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users