How Many People Are Unwilling To Buy The Colors And Patterns Unless Piranha Games Makes The Patterns Unlockable Across All Variants?

Camo Spec Store Social

33 replies to this topic

#1 UglyPony

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

I don't know about everyone else, but I am NOT buying anything else from Piranha until they drop the restrictions on use of camo patterns across chassis-types. I should not have to continue buying camos for every single mech chassis. That is crap. If you want more money, release mechs, and I will buy those...but charging to add a specific camo to every mech is insane price-gouging. If Piranha removed the limit on use of patterns across chassis types, I'd be willing to buy each and every single one over time. But they are not getting crap else out of me until they drop this crap.

An option to incentivize people to pay MC for the camo's while leaving them as unlockable for all chassis's, would be to first allow us to unlock the general camo, but then need to pay ComStar Bills for adding it to each individual mech. The cost in ComStar Bills could be made pretty high, so I can unlock, but am incentivized to buy rather than spend time earning credits for the unlock. You could also charge ComStar Bills each and everytime we want to change a pattern on any mech variant, but allow us to bypass that hassle by unlocking it for a chassis-type (i.e. ALL variants of that chassis) permanently with MC. This way, poor players like me, which work a low paying job, and don't **** actual dollar bills, and piss change, can afford to customize our characters as well.

Doing this would allow people to customize their mechs more. As they do so, they become more invested in the game. If they become more invested, they'd be more likely to spend more.
To me, that makes sense.

I stopped playing this game for the longest time (around a year) hoping that **** would have changed...but I comeback and it's the same ****. I truly believe that if you would drop the price-gouging, you would actually see your profits RISE...because you are opening up the market to people like me. Instead you are alienating your fanbase.

#2 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

You have a PC (that can play MWO), and internet access, but you dont want to pay for colors and patterns..
Its a FTP game, either kick in a few bucks or dont, but do not whine about it.

Edited by Iron Heel, 20 March 2018 - 01:23 PM.

#3 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

Colours I have no issue with. Buy a small selection and you can get all of your 'mechs look great with just the default patterns.

I think the one-shot vs. perma-unlock camo pattern economy isn't terribly successful.

The one-shot price is very reasonable, perma-unlock is pretty steep considering the number of 'mechs you have (especially back then when you'd level up 3+).

#4 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

Honestly, given that cosmetics are a helluva good MC sink for PGI...it's surprising that a single color costs so much.

As it is, I wait for events/sales before grabbing any new paints.

#5 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:39 PM

The unlock variant of camo patterns would probably work better if it was a global unlock, and then it could actually cost a bit more too. As it is now one-shot camos are a much better deal.

I'd be happy to pay 1500-2000 MC for a global camo unlock of my most used pattern actually.

Edited by Sjorpha, 20 March 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#6 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:46 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 20 March 2018 - 01:39 PM, said:

The unlock variant of camo patterns would probably work better if it was a global unlock, and then it could actually cost a bit more too. As it is now one-shot camos are a much better deal.

I'd be happy to pay 1500-2000 MC for a global camo unlock of my most used pattern actually.

Agreed, if it applied to all 'mechs they could increase the price about 2x and I'd still happily buy some unlocks.

Now I just ask how much I'll play that 'mech anyway, and whether I'll REALLY want to change the camo later (and not buy one-shot).

#7 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:57 PM

Wait for sales. Or get pre-orders for the bonus goodies. I'm sorely tempted by the Flea's colors. Even though I have red and yellow already. A different shade would be nice. Plus for $15 I get three lights and premium time

As for patterns. Also wait for sales. Honestly one shots aren't that expensive and you really don't need to swap back and forth all willy nilly.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:15 PM

I only use pre-order permanent colors that apply to all gundams in my collection.

#9 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

Oneshot camos are the cheapest things you can buy with mc, what's the problem?

As for global unlocks, I think it would be a bad deal for PGI. I'd bought fractal, digital and JF and that'd be all I ever need.

#10 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

customizing mech is the most fun part of the game. When i see how bad the other game customization or skins are, i understand i was spoiled by MWO. But i always said the unlock pattern were stupidly overpriced. It makes no sense. The colours could get cheaper too or at least not be a mech pack temporary thing. When i look at mech pack now i just see lost value.

#11 Finring

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

People actually buy cosmetic....things.... with real money?!?!?! Posted Image

#12 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:42 PM

View PostFinring, on 20 March 2018 - 02:37 PM, said:

People actually buy cosmetic....things.... with real money?!?!?! Posted Image

Yes, someone's actually paying for you being able to play your robats and whine about how you hate pgi. Surprise surprise.

#13 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:50 PM

patterns are what piss me off. You pay once, you should be able to put it on any variant. And it should not be that dam expensive.

#14 Finring

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:53 PM

Don't get me wrong, I have spent several hundred U.S on this game, but I have never bought anything cosmetic. Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money, but I have never understood paying for bobbles in a game that do absolutely nothing other then look "pretty".

Edited by Finring, 20 March 2018 - 02:54 PM.

#15 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:11 PM

I applaud the suckers supporters of the the game that are willing to pay $$$ for RBG codes.

At least with patterns you know they had to actually do some work on the models.

#16 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

[shrug]

I haven't paid for MC since May of 2016. I've probably had 35,000+ MC move through my hands since then solely from events. Grab bags 5-50 MC at a time.

Play events, get MC, buy shiny things with the free rewards.

#17 Popcat

• PipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

I'm with Big Tin Man. I haven't spent anything on cosmetics that did not come with mech packs between give goodies, loot bags and such. Just collect MC in your loot bags and give away and wait for sales. I have no problem wit FTP games charging for cosmetics. Also it's not unreasonable to make it one price per mech and one per chassis since technically you could own 1000 warhammers if you wanted, it's not unreasonable. Not saying he exact price but the concept. Global unlocks would be good to. The only thing I don't understand is why they have so few Decals. I mean its Battletech. Half the people playing have been dreaming insert House, Unit, Company mech here. there is new styles old styles etc. These literally thousands of premade logos just waiting to get copy and pasted into a GIF file. Would seem like free money. Is the some copy rights issue specific to the logos I missed?

Also you should want to support the game you play so ya know you can keep playing it.

Edited by Popcat, 20 March 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#18 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

View PostFinring, on 20 March 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Don't get me wrong, I have spent several hundred U.S on this game, but I have never bought anything cosmetic. Far be it from me to tell people how to spend their money, but I have never understood paying for bobbles in a game that do absolutely nothing other then look "pretty".

People like to look pretty in game. They pay thousands of dollars for that on all MP games.

#19 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:14 PM

That's why you just use one shot. even if you buy it one shot for a bunch of variants you save mc.

#20 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Add another one to the pile. One-shots aren't bad but the fact that you're only unlocking the pattern permanently for that one chassis has never sat right with me.

At least colours and decals aren't like that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users