#21 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:41 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 06 October 2018 - 10:16 PM, said:

Exactly. If it was a 64 KPH heavy instead of an 81 KPH heavy, maybe with a few less built-in heatsinks, more laser hardpoints available, and ECM in the CT instead of the torso (or have a ballistic + ECM omnipod) it might be decent. As it stands now, I can generally get the weapons I want on it but basically no ammo.

I tried quite hard to make it work, but nothing I put on it synergized particularly well. The lack of energy hardpoints really is killer as IMO ballistics are lack lustre unless boated, which is impossible without ammo restrictions. Maybe you could boat missiles...

#22 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 07 October 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

I tried quite hard to make it work, but nothing I put on it synergized particularly well. The lack of energy hardpoints really is killer as IMO ballistics are lack lustre unless boated, which is impossible without ammo restrictions. Maybe you could boat missiles...

AC2 spam is very possible, if that's your thing. I paired off quad AC2 (two Ultras and two LBx for heat and jamming control) with two HMLs. It works reasonably well and can spit out a lot of damage. Other people's mileage may very of course...

If you wish to spam the heavier ACs... Yeah. There isn't enough weight to go with that large engine...

#23 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 02:52 PM

I love sun spiders .

I swapped an ssrm 6 for a 4 for extra ammo and linked my lbx5 and ppc on vanguard .
I kept the gauss rifle sun spider pretty much the same .

I looked at the reinforcement pack sun spiders and felt envious so Omni prodded and made my prime a pure streak boat and gave my UAC 2 spider an extra uac2 .

I am a happy chappy .

#24 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 03:24 PM

Yeah you can fit on the smaller ACs in bulk, my issue there is you require face time to put out damage. I prefer the larger calibre versions as you can let rip with a powerful volley and then twist to spread out return fire. Maybe I'll try out a Gauss heavy laser combo, I wish the Manul wasn't the only variant with more than one energy hardpoint in a location. In fact I wonder if the SNS is the only clan 'Mech with energy variants who, with the exception of Hero, have no pods with more than one energy hardpoint. Surely at best, that list is small.

#25 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

I run dual LB20-X plus ECM as I play the sneaky spider. Its fun as hell and scares the life out of people.

https://mwo.smurfy-n...fa3f9009ea02b3b

Edited by Axys Rageborn, 07 October 2018 - 07:42 PM.

#26 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:40 AM

I just wish you could put a few more guns on there, dual LB20-X is *decent*, but I prefer having SRMs to back them up. The Scorch is what I judge all other brawlers by. It carries an additional set of 4 SRM tubes in a configuration of your choice. Yes it is an assault lacking ECM, so there is that. The SNS is just so aggravating to build for as every idea I come up with just turns out a teensy bit short of what the 'Mech can carry. The SNS is almost viable at so much, but for any specific build idea, there are usually better 'Mechs out there. I suppose that makes it well balanced.

#27 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:04 AM

I am running ECM, twin UAC5 in right torso and one Heavy Large in each arm. I find it to be very heat efficient, bang for the buck and strong sustain DPS. I am also not running Survivability but Mobility.
I do not have either of the Hero variants sadly, otherwise I'd run quad Heavy Mediums on arms and extra heatsinks to fill up the tonnage.

View PostRickySpanish, on 08 October 2018 - 01:40 AM, said:

I just wish you could put a few more guns on there, dual LB20-X is *decent*, but I prefer having SRMs to back them up. The Scorch is what I judge all other brawlers by. It carries an additional set of 4 SRM tubes in a configuration of your choice. Yes it is an assault lacking ECM, so there is that. The SNS is just so aggravating to build for as every idea I come up with just turns out a teensy bit short of what the 'Mech can carry. The SNS is almost viable at so much, but for any specific build idea, there are usually better 'Mechs out there. I suppose that makes it well balanced.

Try the build I posted. Cut leg and head armor to fit more ammo/heatsinks, barely anyone goes for legs on heavies and assaults.
Dual UAC5 unjams quickly and offers rapidfiring, ranged scary and reliable lowheat DPS while the dual HLL give you that plasma torch cutting ability on opened lights and a strong 36 damage burn on slower or stationary mechs. Go for mobility instead or survival since survival gains are minimal while mobility makes you just so comfortable.

Edited by Acersecomic, 10 October 2018 - 06:16 AM.

#28 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:59 AM

I think it makes an interesting missile carrier. I toyed with this in testing grounds but I don't know how well it would run in a real match.

Sun Spider Prime

#29 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:11 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 11 October 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I think it makes an interesting missile carrier. I toyed with this in testing grounds but I don't know how well it would run in a real match.

Sun Spider Prime

Spread the ATMs and Streaks equaly between arms and torso. That way if one side gets blown off you still keep both wepon types, thus avoiding getting cippled.

#30 Atayu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 815 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 02:39 PM

I have been playing a sun spider build i enjoy. The right arm has a heavy medium lasser and a lrm5. The right torso has 2 Uac5s. Left torso has ecm. Left arm has erppc and lrm5. This mech palys great but has to be used properly if you run around alpha sticking you are going to overheat fast and in long matchs you might run out of ammo and have to rely on the ppc and med lasser. Out of my almost 50 mechs this is one of 12 on my favorits list.

#31 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

View PostAtayu, on 26 October 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

I have been playing a sun spider build i enjoy. The right arm has a heavy medium lasser and a lrm5. The right torso has 2 Uac5s. Left torso has ecm. Left arm has erppc and lrm5. This mech palys great but has to be used properly if you run around alpha sticking you are going to overheat fast and in long matchs you might run out of ammo and have to rely on the ppc and med lasser. Out of my almost 50 mechs this is one of 12 on my favorits list.

Easily one of the favorites. Despite low count of hardpoints unless you buy both premium variants which is just pure evil on PGI's part. I mean come on, one has 4 side torso ballistics, the other has 4 energy arm points.
Still, you can make some really good builds with it. On top of that, it looks freaking amaizing and truly like a MECH! Instead of those humanoid freaks.

#32 Silence of the LRMs

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:26 PM

Hello, Star Spooder fans.

I have a couple builds to share:

This "Economy" Vanguard variant uses the stock omnipods and mounts 2x UAC10 and an ERPPC. The quirks from the omnipod set bonus give your guns a welcome buff. It is very c-bill friendly since the UACs are the only significant upgrade expense. If you like direct fire and dakka, this one's for you!

This Support Vanguard variant swaps a few omnipods to mount 2x ATM12, LRM20, TAG, and ECM. I play it as a support mech for assaults and heavies, providing ECM, spotting, and suppressing fire. Remember to position yourself at around 200-400 meters to maximize the damage of your ATMs. If you like teamwork, missiles, and enjoy playing a variety of support roles, then give this one a try.

Regards,

Silence of the LRMs
"You never hear the one that gets you."

#33 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 22 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

4x Uac5, erll, and 2x lrm10 for while you are closing. It works, and I love the stock Vanguard paint....

#34 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 22 April 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

4x Uac5, erll, and 2x lrm10 for while you are closing. It works, and I love the stock Vanguard paint....

What. Stop.

#35 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostMcGoat, on 22 April 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

What. Stop.

Agreed. When I saw that, I had basically the same reaction. I just was debating on making a response was all...

View PostAureliusDean, on 22 April 2019 - 05:11 AM, said:

Completely impossible. I could barely fit on quad AC2s on mine (mixed types, but same weight). There is no way you could upgrade that to UAC5s, not to mention also have LRMs and an ERLL... Not while also having ammo and armor at least...

#36 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:01 AM

Hang on, I'm confused, it must only be 2 uac5's. Sorry guys! I was thinking 4 shots, not four barrels. My bad! :-)

#37 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 22 April 2019 - 10:01 AM, said:

Hang on, I'm confused, it must only be 2 uac5's. Sorry guys! I was thinking 4 shots, not four barrels. My bad! :-)

That makes FAR more sense. Posted Image

#38 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:48 AM

In my defense, I have only run her 30 times for a grand total of 4 hours and 12 minutes....*blushes at his own mistake*

#39 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

gauss, 2 erppc, ecm. dont alpha.

#40 Doriam

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 03:58 PM

4xATM9 + ECM + tag
If you can keep right distance - it bring 600-900 damage very often. Alfa is option despite gostheat. 800+ ammo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users