Hellspawn Review (So Far)

10 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

In short, I can't say I'm terribly impressed by it, but it certainly has some qualities that make it stand out from the other 45 ton IS 'mechs.

I've tried mostly missile builds so far, going for SRM and MRM builds. The SRM builds work okay, just the cooldown rates hamper it from engaging in full-on duels, so you need speed and jumpjets to disengage with the enemy and come back for another swing. The ECM and stealth capability allow it to get close without being spotted, so you have first strike advantage. Sounds workable, right? Ha, we all know what's left to talk about; hitboxes. Disengaging is all well and easy until you realize that the rear hitboxes are damage magnets and a burden to keep away from fire. Turning to the side simply isn't enough.

From that experience, I decided to see how it held up as a nimble mid-range support unit by mounting some MRM's. This change has proved to perform better as it is not the focus of enemy fire and can dish a surprisingly well-grouped volley. I intend to try a laser build in the future, though I'm not looking forward to it because the hardpoint placement on the 7D does not look promising.

Comparing this to other 45 ton IS 'mechs:

Blackjack:

Hellspawn definitely has the mobility and stealth advantage and comparable firepower, but the Blackjack has higher mounted and more versatile hardpoints that allow it to avoid exposing itself too much and take a variety of workhorse roles. The Blackjack takes the cake here.

Phoenix Hawk:

The Phoenix Hawk out maneuvers the Hellspawn by a small margin, but lacks a consistent set of equipment and good hardpoints (couple of them have lots of lasers, but deficient in other ways). Hellspawn is also noticeably hardier than the Hawk, which seals the deal here.

Vindicator:

This one is a little weird in that the Vindicator is a rather buffed 'mech with some qualities that would seem to out-class the Hellspawn, but don't make them any less trash that only I would consider playing. Again, the Hellspawn has somewhat of a mobility advantage and better hardpoints. The Vindicator has a wider selection of hardpoints, but a couple of the variants have a generalist hardpoint map that nullifies it and leaves much to be desired. The Vindicators also have extreme survival quirks, but again don't have the mobility, so it essentially serves as compensation. The 1AA is the only variant I can reasonably pit against the Hellspawn, as it has all of it's ducks in a row minus the ECM.

Final words on this would be that it needs some work. The rear hitboxes need to be tightened and some heat quirks in place (for something this speedy, it really cannot afford heat sinks). Something else to be looked at is the removal of the right arm missile pod when it is not in use. It enlarges the hit box and makes it easier for someone to knock out a laser you put in there.

On a minor note, the left torso missile door has a floating shadow that also vanishes when it is cast behind you, kinda funny.

Edited by MadHornet, 25 March 2018 - 03:17 PM.

#2 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

Hellspawn is out? Lol, I haven't seen a single one.

#3 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Nice read, its definitely not the Dervish I wanted. But if and when the mech pack goes on sale I will pick it up. Or out for c-bills I will grab one. It's an Inner Sphere medium, so got to have one.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dervish

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

Blackjack also has some rather insane firepower quirks that make it worth taking.

#5 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:42 PM

I’m not ashamed to say I like them, and I DO love stealth armor on them.
Firepower usually falls into some green lasers and a single MRM on the arm - that bay door always screws me up. If I just focus on some lasers, I drop a RL20 in the arm pod just for giggles. They get pretty mobile, which helps, because those torsos love to fall off.

#6 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:52 PM

The Hellspawn's main attraction is its weirdness.

The Hunchback is the only other 'Mech in the game with truly asymmetrical hitboxes, but the Hunch plays almost exactly like any other deadside 'Mech, while the Hellspawn is like a freakish half-Stalker, half-Archer, with a protruding CT on one side and a perfect shield on the other (if you can find the tonnage for LFE). It's an utterly unique little critter. Usually that hurts more than it helps, but if you're looking for something that's just plain different from the usual, it's definitely got that niche covered.

#7 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

Roughneck has true asymmetry on most variants. Thunderbolt and Summoner also have true asymmetry. Also Shadowhawk.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 25 March 2018 - 10:33 PM.

#8 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 March 2018 - 10:08 PM

No one uses it, its the ugly Uziel step child of fragility...

It has a lovely missile pod right in the center of its chest to help the enemy core it that much faster, such a friendly mech...plus the 2 sec door opening PGI mechanic that is beyond annoying...

Totally agree on the shoulder not disappearing when nothing is in there and why does the first missile slot always goto the shoulder not the arm.. again friendly mech designed for being killed by the enemy.

Edited by Samial, 25 March 2018 - 10:21 PM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

View PostSamial, on 25 March 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

It has a lovely missile pod right in the center of its chest to help the enemy core it that much faster, such a friendly mech...plus the 2 sec door opening PGI mechanic that is beyond annoying...

Missile bay doors have 0.5 second delay.

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:16 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 March 2018 - 10:05 PM, said:

Roughneck has true asymmetry on most variants. Thunderbolt and Summoner also have true asymmetry.

Asymmetric builds, yes, and even offcenter cockpit placement on certain 'Mechs, but including the Summoner, Roughneck, and Thunderbolt, the RT and LT hitboxes of nearly every 'Mech are still roughly equal in profile with regards to how well they protect the CT and each other. The Roughneck's RT ballistic doesn't meaningfully affect the survivability of that torso if you're tanking with the LT; the gun sticks out, but it doesn't have enough surface area to make a good target like the Hunchback's RT or Hellspawn's CT. Functionally, it is symmetrical- as are the Thunderbolt and Summoner (or Griffin, Wolverine, etc), even with their shoulder missile pods. They fight and shield as if they did not have asymmetical design elements, and those elements can be minimized depending on your build because some of their weapon geometry goes away if the relevant hardpoints are left unfilled.

A Hunchback's or Hellspawn's RT completely shields both the CT and LT, but their hitboxes from the other side are completely different. Look at a Hellspawn from the left, and you can easily target its CT; look at a Hunchback from the left and you can still hit its RT (unless you're running the 4SP, or a 4J which has no hunch if it carries no missiles). They have those attributes no matter what build you put on them, whereas any other 'Mech only requires asymmetrical play when it carries an asymmetrical build. Even 'Mechs which carry a majority of their firepower in one side or the other can spread damage roughly evenly across the torso (and, where possible, the arms)... but not those two. They are the only 'Mechs in the game that is true of.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 March 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

Missile bay doors have 0.5 second delay.

Still dumb

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users