#101 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 March 2018 - 09:13 AM

View PostSkaav, on 31 March 2018 - 07:41 AM, said:

I mean, Reddit is bad, no doubt, but its a heck of a lot better then these forums, where people come for help, and out of lazyness people like you, who basically shitpost as a serious profession, are put into places of power.

seriously?

I know some parts of this forum can be negitive but not training grounds/new player help.
if you read through a few posts in new player help you will find the vast majority of posts are from people who want to help others, yes occaisionaly people do make mistakes or inadvertantly offer bad advice, and when that happens people quickly offer counter arguements or debunk the incorrect information, that is why I would recomend anyone needing advice on MWO come to New Player Help rather than for example General Discussion.

pretty much everyone manages to do this without persional attacks and manages to keep the forum positive.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 31 March 2018 - 09:16 AM.

#102 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostXiphias, on 31 March 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I'd ask that you edit your previous post to make it clear that the narrative you were pushing earlier about meta mechs and comp players was/is completely false. Spreading misinformation benefits no one and it's particularly bad when it's new players you are giving these ideas.

Done.
The names seem rather interchangeable, and MetaMechs is the more popular name. It is similar to seeing Rifleman and calling it Destroid Defender. The concepts at their most basic level is similar.. They're not the same,but unless you really use them and you're only constantly bombarded with the name of one, would you remember what the other is called? In other words an honest mistake.

#103 Skaav

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 31 March 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

seriously?

I know some parts of this forum can be negitive but not training grounds/new player help.
if you read through a few posts in new player help you will find the vast majority of posts are from people who want to help others, yes occaisionaly people do make mistakes or inadvertantly offer bad advice, and when that happens people quickly offer counter arguements or debunk the incorrect information, that is why I would recomend anyone needing advice on MWO come to New Player Help rather than for example General Discussion.

pretty much everyone manages to do this without persional attacks and manages to keep the forum positive.

So saying "Comp players are deceiving worse players into bad builds" is in your opinion a good message for new players then? Because this is the ******* "New Player Help" unless im mistaken.

Edited by Skaav, 31 March 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#104 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostSkaav, on 31 March 2018 - 12:48 PM, said:

So saying "Comp players are deceiving worse players into bad builds" is in your opinion a good message for new players then? Because this is the ******* "New Player Help" unless im mistaken.

no, that is not what the post you quoted said, and not what I meant at all.

I was saying accusing the whole forum of being toxic because of a single post made by someone who is usualy one of the most helpful people who frequents this forum, and saying the persion in question is at fault for failing to do reaserch when you clearly have not yourself (you were literaly saying the whole forum is extremely toxic based upon one post in one thread, strongly sugesting you have not read many other posts in this thread, let alone the rest of the forum), and resorting to persional attacks rather than reasoned arguement is not helpfull.

Do you disagree with any of that?

#105 Skaav

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 31 March 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

no, that is not what the post you quoted said, and not what I meant at all.

I was saying accusing the whole forum of being toxic because of a single post made by someone who is usualy one of the most helpful people who frequents this forum, and saying the persion in question is at fault for failing to do reaserch when you clearly have not yourself (you were literaly saying the whole forum is extremely toxic based upon one post in one thread, strongly sugesting you have not read many other posts in this thread, let alone the rest of the forum), and resorting to persional attacks rather than reasoned arguement is not helpfull.

Do you disagree with any of that?

I was saying, that i stay away from this place, because of people like him, not because its overall toxic (although it really is at times, even more so than reddit) and yes, I do disagree with you that most of his posts are helpful, strongly so, just scanning the last few you can see hes selling a narrative of what he would like to think to be good, not whats actually good or true. Now before you go on, I will grant you that among his 20k posts, there will be helpful ones, but when u say he gives 90% solid advice, that would still be 2k shitposts, and I highly doubt that from this guys reputation and forum history even half of what he says is relevant to anybody, let alone new players who need advice on what mechs to get or how to get a grasp on piloting.

You can drag as many 5-20 k posters on these forums into this as you like, but i guarantee you, no provably good player will stand up for this guy and say "Solid Advice mate".

#106 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 01:55 PM

That isn't what Rogue was saying at all.

Further discussion on the topic should also be halted. The issues have been solved. It is just continued derailment of a thread at this point, none of which is accomplishing the goal of helping anyone.

Anything further is pretty much putting yourself in the wrong for the very things you are fighting against.

#107 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 31 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostZergling, on 30 March 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

It can, but you'll only have 2 tons of ammo and no jumpjets with a 250LFE.

If you ran triple LPPC instead, you'd fit in another half ton of ammo and a single jumpjet.

I found I liked 1x Gauss + 2x Large Pulse the most on the Sun Spider (although I could easily drop the extra heatsinks for a TarComp or something).

Actually, my Uziel already only has two tons of ammo. I find an AC10 works find with 2-2.5 tons of ammo per AC. No JJs would just not work well in the frail Uziel. I find you really benefit from the JJs in that mech. (I also seem to profess in JJ use, doing really well with JJ mechs.)

For the Sun Spider, I have tried a lot of different direct fire builds, but just seemed to settle on my LRM build. Of course, I didn't boat LRMs, as is my normal.

View PostZergling, on 30 March 2018 - 11:36 PM, said:

I've seen the occasional weird occurrence with front hits doing damage to rear, and I have a couple theories as to how it could occur.

1: Badly done rear torso hitboxes being visible from the front (IIRC, that has happened with a few mechs, not sure if the Annihilator is one of them)
2: Hitboxes lagging during torso twist, in a mech where torso twisting exposes rear torso (not sure if Annihilator is one of those either).
3: Legitimate bug in the hit registration system, where a frontal hit is registered as a hit to the rear.

I will mention that, at one point, ACs would occasionally phase through the front torso hit box and hit the back side of the back torso hit box... It was supposedly fixed quite some time ago... Doesn't mean it couldn't have come back again...

Could be, although I admit to being clueless when it comes to heat bugs.

I've seen some strange heat bugs before. Not sure what it is, be it ghost heat kicking in when it shouldn't, lag, HSR or whatever. I've had plenty of times where I shut down at 80% or less...

I find the Uziel to be one of the most fragile mechs in the game; it honestly needs its structure quirks swapped to armor, then tripled in value.
And trying to find working builds for it has been... quite frustrating. I think energy based builds would work best with it, but only one variant has the hardpoints for it (and honestly 6 isn't enough).

Gauss is risky on the Sunspider thanks to how easily the side torsos are pinpointed, although if you have the D omnipods you can put the Gauss in the arms and negate that risk.
But I find it still works well, probably because I'm trying to minimise exposure times by hill and corner poking.

Those side torsos on the Uziel should have armor quirks. I agree on that. That is why I like using it as a jumping weapons platform. Any other role and you may as well just know you are going to blow up and do fairly little (as a average). (Not saying it can't work without JJs, just that it really benefits from them.)

View PostToast3r, on 31 March 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

Also, your accusation that high end players recommend bad builds to new players is hilarious. I'd come up with a rebuttal. You haven't actually shown any proof of that occurring, and I'm having a hard enough time stopping laughing in order to write this as it is.

To be perfectly honest, I HAVE seen very bad (for new players) build suggestions from many "top level players". Typically builds that have an XL engine and require knowledge of twisting, or are too hot without any skills invested, or are all "knife fighters" which tend to result in new players rushing to their deaths, etc.

I have come to the belief that some (not all obviously) higher level players have forgotten how it was to be a new player. So they post builds that are not suited for new players and can become flabbergasted when said new player fails to perform at their expected results.

I know I have builds that I find very good and solid, but I would at the same time never recommend to a new player. 2 LLs and 4 ERML Crab is a solid build, but too hot unskilled with a new player. 2 HLLs and 3 ERML Linebacker falls into the same boat. Just a few examples from my own stable.

#108 poopenshire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 684 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

[mod]

I am just gonna say this once and all of you can read this and understand.

There are far too many accusations flying around on both sides here. Stop it, we want to help new players here.

I hate to move this to K-Town but I don't have a choice, there are so many errors and wrong statements from too many people here.

Just for justification so this does not get propagated to other threads, people do not intentionally give out "bad" builds. Just because a build works for Player A, does not mean Player B will do as well, and vice versa. There is also no website dedicated to "bad" builds.

[/mod]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users