#1 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:54 PM

Well HERE IT IS... Nerf incoming.

Shout-out to all the low skill players who have continually whinged about something that kills you because you simply have no basic map awareness or how to shield/twist.

And to those that don't understand the real underlying issues as to WHY MGs are a little bit good - and no, they don't need a nerf at all.

So I hope you're all satisfied!

RIP cSPL
RIP IS SPL
RIP MGs

#2 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Jesus H ******* Christ.

The only problem mech was Piranha -- why not just give them nega quirks for ****'s sake?

#3 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

For ****'s sake, right when I didn't think things could get more dysfunctional.

#4 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:01 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 April 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

Jesus H ******* Christ.

The only problem mech was Piranha -- why not just give them nega quirks for ****'s sake?

No. The problem was the crit system. Pir is a 20 ton piece of glass that can carry 12 .25 ton weapons, woo-hoo.
Here we go again.

Thanks for the heads up Ash.

#5 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:02 PM

Flipping snowflakes gotta ruin everything. Funny thing is, the Cipher is the strongest of the bunch and isn't even the ultra MG platform the 1 is.

Edited by kuma8877, 06 April 2018 - 04:05 PM.

#6 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:18 PM

I'd be depressed over this news normally, but HBS Battletech is out in less than 3 weeks so nope! My salvation is in sight.
Edit - I honest to goodness don't get the crying and grief over Machine Guns. The Fish mech is the only one that abuses them with the least tradeoff of risk vs reward due to its obscene hardpoint count and dps rate for a 20 ton mech. Focus on the real problem and be creative with the adjustment, is what I would recommend.

Edited by FireStoat, 06 April 2018 - 04:20 PM.

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 06 April 2018 - 04:01 PM, said:

No. The problem was the crit system. Pir is a 20 ton piece of glass that can carry 12 .25 ton weapons, woo-hoo.
Here we go again.

Thanks for the heads up Ash.

The real issue is equipment health.

The changes that were made to them circa 18 months ago meant stuff got critted out easier/faster etc.
18 months ago, MG boating was not a thing.

Fast forward 18 months.
  • Engine de-sync murdering Assault mobilty
  • cSPL / IS SPL and IS Small Laser nerfs into oblivion
  • High crit-ability against equipment
  • Higher alphas
All of these things have contributed to MGs being the only way to go for light mechs. Nerfing MGs really is not the answer. If cSPL / IS SPL and IS SL were properly fixed to actually be useful again rather than heavy handed nerfs they got, MGs would not be soooo prolific...

I mean I understand what Chris was trying to do, but it was the wrong way to go about it.

We can only pray this nerf doesn't smash them like the other weapons as that could kill lights entirely and right now, overall, lights are still in a bad place

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 April 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#8 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:24 PM

Same old same old. Boating is the problem not the weapon therefore nerf the weapon.
PGI doesn't seem to know any other tune.

The Piranha is built with 12mg I know just like the nova is built so it can boat small pulse laser . Each gets nerfed by PGI but, if you look at the weapon being used on mechs that cannot boat them, the balance on those mechs was fine BEFORE the nerf. They need to treat the outliers/the extremes and not keep doing blanket changes to a whole weapon group that really only the lights use. A weight class that's already limited in what it can take for weapons and is, for most intents and purposes already dead.

Oh well, I'll just run the crap out of it till the nerf comes in and go away for a few months (again) until there is at least one viable light that isn't only viable because the game engine doesn't do well with small mechs (locust) OR has buffs up the ying yang for armor(urbie).

Edited by R5D4, 06 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#9 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Likely just a small nerf. That's been the trend lately. I'm not expecting anywhere near an SPL level nerf.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 April 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#10 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

Edited by CFC Conky, 06 April 2018 - 04:27 PM.

#11 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:30 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 April 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Well HERE IT IS... Nerf incoming.

Shout-out to all the low skill players who have continually whinged about something that kills you because you simply have no basic map awareness or how to shield/twist.

And to those that don't understand the real underlying issues as to WHY MGs are a little bit good - and no, they don't need a nerf at all.

So I hope you're all satisfied!

RIP cSPL
RIP IS SPL
RIP MGs

Nerf light mechs.
Nerf clans.
Whats new.

Edit: Whens the piranah out for cbills?

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 06 April 2018 - 04:32 PM.

#12 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

All because assaults make conscious decisions to gimp themselves against piranha's and any other light mech.

#13 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 April 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

• Engine de-sync murding Assault mobilty
  • cSPL / IS SPL and IS Small Laser nerfs into oblivion
  • High crit-ability against equipment
  • Higher alphas
We can only pray this nerf doesn't smash them like the other weapons as that could kill lights entirely and right now, overall, lights are still in a bad place

What if the nerf directly addresses something like the high crit-ability against equipment? As I'm aware, he never said what the nerf was going to be, just that there was going to be one. And the last several nerfs/buffs were on the level of heat from 2.1 to 2.0.

Also, I'm not really one that thinks Lights are in a bad place. At worst the shortest range lights would be in a bad place, but poke Lights are doing quite well. I'm not worried about them.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.

#14 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:38 PM

Haha time to refund the pir and funnel it into AAA games :)

#15 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

Here we go: https://www.reddit.c..._chris/dwxsyc3/

PGI_Chris 2 hours ago
Not being targeted because of the Piranha.
If I was to be going after the Piranha specifically, its existing leg structure quirks would be the first thing on the chopping block not the Machine Guns. (Maybe something worth looking into later if people feel like the Piranha specifically is an issue.)
As I said in the stream, what is being targeted is it's performance against alternative weapons within a similar tonnage range, while also minding the baseline balance between the Clan version of the weapon compared to its IS counterpart that comes in at double the tonnage.
While I cannot get into the specifics on the reduction itself, I can say that it is not going to be anything major. Those 'Mechs that make use of mass Machine guns will still be highly effective at what they do currently.

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be a significant nerf.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 April 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#16 BrunoSSace

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Im hoping for a little bit of tuning. But knowing our pgi, they will probably gut the piranha and the other 3 clan mechs that boat machine guns. They might wreck myfun before the flea even drops. So super sad face. :(

#17 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

This is dumb, if anything the 12mg piranha variant just needed a bit of a nerf. Nerfing mgs will hurt a lot of mechs that are not currently overperforming

#18 R5D4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 06 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

PGI_Chris said:

As I said in the stream, what is being targeted is it's performance against alternative weapons within a similar tonnage range, while also minding the baseline balance between the Clan version of the weapon compared to its IS counterpart that comes in at double the tonnage.

So assuming this is talking about small pulse lasers and the such why not buff them? Recurring common complaint is that those other weapons on lights are getting nerfed into oblivion making the weight class useless. So why keep doing more of the same?

#19 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 06 April 2018 - 04:18 PM, said:

I'd be depressed over this news normally, but HBS Battletech is out in less than 3 weeks so nope! My salvation is in sight.
Edit - I honest to goodness don't get the crying and grief over Machine Guns. The Fish mech is the only one that abuses them with the least tradeoff of risk vs reward due to its obscene hardpoint count and dps rate for a 20 ton mech. Focus on the real problem and be creative with the adjustment, is what I would recommend.

Seriously? You don't get the crying and grief while at the same time giving those same people ammunition for their arguments by calling a stock BT load out as "abuse"? Really?

View PostKrivvan, on 06 April 2018 - 04:25 PM, said:

Likely just a small nerf. That's been the trend lately. I'm not expecting anywhere near an SPL level nerf.

Posted Image

#20 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

JUST. ADJUST. THE. CRIT. SYSTEM. FOR. MGS.

good lord.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users